Wed, Oct 2, 1:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: Need help with textures. CHrome texture

G-MUNKY ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 12:25 AM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 1:26 AM

In poser 7, how would I go about making a figure in poser look like the silver surfer? I want to be able to reflect a video off him. any help would be rockin  I haven't dealt that much with textures and stuff yet. 

THanks all. I look forward to your responses.

Whimsical ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 2:14 AM

There's an excellent thread/tute over at  RDNA  by bagginsbill to do with chrome, glass etc.. 

http://www.runtimedna.com/mod/forum/messages.php?ShowMessage=266073

G-MUNKY ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 4:12 AM

hmm, I follow those directions and he becomes very shiney,, but all black, lol

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 4:36 AM

Try this free package of car paints.  There are some chrome materials in there too. I use them all the time.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?user_id=305980

They are used in the material room.  Select the part of the body and double click the material in the library to apply it.

Here is another tutorial on chrome too for you to try.

http://www.runtimedna.com/mod/forum/messages.php?ShowMessage=155769

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Whimsical ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 4:45 AM

did u use a skydome or the suggested sphere setup so there would be something to reflect back onto the chrome?  if you have used the sphere, try scaling it to 10000 as it may be too large for the scene to produce reflections, other thing too, is that your lighting setup can also have a lot to do with how reflections come out as well. also remember to turn raytrace on in your render settings too

jonthecelt ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 4:47 AM

Make sure yo have raytracing turned on in the render settings, otherwise you wont' get the refelctions needed. It's probably that that's causing you to get all black.

alternatively, make sure you have something in the background for your figure to reflect - bagginsBill uses a skydome in his examples. If there's nothing for the rays to bounce off of, then you'll get a black area on the refelction. And if there's nothing to be reflected anywhere in the scene - all black figure.

Those are the two omst frequent errors when using raytraced reflections. Hope this helps,

JonTheCelt

BeyondVR ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 4:51 AM

Quote - hmm, I follow those directions and he becomes very shiney,, but all black, lol

An actual chrome material will always look black if there is nothing for it to reflect.  It won't see background color or image.  For normal scenes I use a skyball, also found somewhere in baggisbill's posts over there.  The P6 light probes (jpg) do a great job.  Orient the ball until you get the look you want.  Otherwise, the scene needs to be rather complete.  Most of the reflections will come from the parts of the scene not seen by the camera.

John

G-MUNKY ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 10:08 PM

I had put a ball in front of him to see if it would reflect and it didn't thats why I was concened.

G-MUNKY ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 10:30 PM

basically, I want to have a video reflect off it. the backround is going to be all blue for chroma key. so I want the chrome to reflect the real video. can video be applyed to an object like a texture? say I had a tv, could I run a real video on it?

BeyondVR ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 1:14 AM

Yes, I'm pretty sure you can use an AVI, or QT for Mac, as a texture.  I don't think you could actually project it onto the figure, but that would get around having to use any reflection.  Specularity might sell the illusion sufficiently.  A couple of potential problem come to mind, though.

First, I'm not sure that the various skin materials would properly share the texture, or make multiple images.  You may have to combine those materials into one.  Also, it will surely try to put half the image on the back.  If it's adjustable, like a 2D image, scale and offset should let you place it where needed.

Sounds like an interesting exercise.  I hope it's not too difficult to pull off.

John

G-MUNKY ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 2:00 AM

I'm sure your familiar with the silver surfer.  Thats basically the effect I'd like to acheive.

BeyondVR ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 2:09 AM

Sorry, but I have no idea what a silver surfer is.  I bet he sinks like a rock when he falls off his board, though ;)

Forgive me.  I've had about 6 hours sleep in the past three days, and I'm getting a little goofy.

John

G-MUNKY ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 2:10 AM

LOL,. no he is a comic book character, just imagine a silver man, on a silver board

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 8:10 AM

Attached Link: Thread: Please help me get reflection

Have a look at that thread. Pages 2 and 3 deal with the silver surfer - plenty of pictures and shaders. But read all of it - there is a ton of information about reflection in that thread.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.