Sun, Oct 6, 6:41 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Fabric patterns and prints

bjt860 ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 10:26 AM · edited Thu, 26 September 2024 at 6:38 AM

Are there any tutorials on how to make print fabric textures?   Or is it as simple as using brushes, or image spayers?
I've been looking at print fabrics on the web, and found some I really like.  But due to various things, I'd rather try making my own. 

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 4:47 PM

Attached Link: Mapzone

I found something recently called Mapzone...looks like some sort of texture maker...haven't delved too deeply yet, but could be worth the freeness..;) Also, there's another one called Loutex, haven't done anything but download it.

Past that, more immediate answers follow this post.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

bjt860 ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2007 at 4:55 PM

I'll check those out.  Thanks.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 9:32 AM

Do you really mean "print" fabrics, or are you looking for woven patterns?

Prints, in real life, are sort of painted directly on an otherwise featureless cloth. Using any repeating tile would work. Are you asking for help on how to make repeating tiles?

Or are you looking for patterns that are actually woven from multicolored threads? If the latter, I can give you a lot of info on that. They can be done entirely in Poser materials - no images needed - its all math. I wrote a script that emulates a Jacquard loom using Poser material nodes.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 9:33 AM

file_386367.jpg

Here are some samples. These all use the same color threads, but the weave pattern is different in each.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 9:33 AM · edited Mon, 27 August 2007 at 9:34 AM

file_386368.jpg

Some more samples.

NOTE: Be sure to click these to see them in full size - lots of fuzzy thread detail in there.

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 9:44 AM

Are any of these weaves available as DL files that can be installed into the materials folder?  Or is there a step-by-step pdf file that can be downloaded on how to set them up?
DPH

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 9:50 AM

BB - they are outstanding.  How did you do those?

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

bjt860 ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 9:51 AM

bagginsbill,  
  I was thinking about both actually.   I had pretty much guessed about how to do "painted"  fabrics.

But I would really like to know how to do the woven fabrics like you did.  A step-by-step pdf would be wonderful.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 10:31 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=2979858

Sorry no PDF but lots of threads to read about it.

Follow the link to a thread that is about faking AO on walls. In that thread, there are starter links to my Poser Python script, matmatic. Matmatic is a tool for building really complex materials. I love the material room's visual aspect, but after a while, it's too painful to do a lot of nodes with it. Matmatic gives us a way to manage really complicated materials, such as these cloth weaves.

In that thread you'll find basic instructions and links to get started with matmatic. Farther down you'll see a post that shows the links to the Loom script, which does all those fabrics.

If you need more help, come back and post here.

bjt860 ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 10:33 AM

Thanks.  I'm checking that out now.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 10:34 AM

Attached Link: http://www.runtimedna.com/mod/forum/messages.php?forum_id=92&ShowMessage=321622

Also if you're running on P7 Mac, there is some additional wierdness. See this link for the solution.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 10:48 AM

I just was testing all those links - one of them is broken.

Downloading weave patterns

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 10:49 AM

Another question: Could a script simulate hair in the same way as cloth.  I'd like to use some of the Poser 4 hair (especially the Default Ponytail), but other than remapping them to similar Kozaburo types I don't se how.  There is a Kozaburo Ponytail for Posette, but it has only one texture.
DPH

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 10:56 AM

DPH:

Yes it can. I started doing some work along this line, but I have so many projects going at once it got sidetracked.

The difficulty lies in how the hair prop is UV mapped. In almost all cases, the texture needs to be organized in little arbitrary rectangles within the texture map, and they are not always going in the same direction. As a result, you have to do a lot of math to get the procedural hair material to start and stop in the right places. It's a real headache.

Also, sometimes we have to treat certain spots differently, like where the hairline meets the forehead. It is these kinds of variations and exceptions to the hair-generation rule that makes it difficult.

An alternative approach, sort of a hybrid, may work better. We could use matmatic to generate various types of hair patterns on a one-sided square. You save the renders, then cut them up into appropriate pieces by hand in photoshop. Any rotations could be dealt with in the image editor - skipping any special cases in the math.

Let me see if I can whip out a few demos that you could work with.

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2007 at 11:13 AM

The Kozaburo P4 Posette Ponytail is really nice, and is already mapped, unlike the Default Ponytail.  But it has only a darkbrown hair texture.  Instead of generating new hair, is there an alternative way of getting that hair texture to change color?  I need blond and reahead especially.  Kozaburo's V3 Ponytail has various hair textures from 3rd parties, but as it's a completely different style, and is hard to fit properly on Posette's head,  so if something could be done with the other one's texture to make it more versatile would be nice.
DPH
PS: Thank you for the MatmaticBeta.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.