Wed, Sep 18, 1:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: How to do Materials in Poser7?

Lenora2 ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2007 at 3:55 PM · edited Sat, 14 September 2024 at 7:28 PM

Hi, I'm a poser7 user and I wondered how to do materials in the Material room in poser7. I know that pressind the '+' button you add your creation in the library but that's not what I want... I want to create a material (a specular blinn) that I can add into the skin WITHOUT changing/replacing the original texture map.

I usually do that manually but there are so many mat parts in the character (V3 and V4) adn it would be much easier just clicking to add the blinn automatically...

Hope you guys help me, I'm trying hard to do this...

nghayward ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2007 at 4:18 PM

Shader spider at DAZ should be able to do that for you. Dimension3D has some python scripts to work on materials but I'm not sure it covers adding Blinn nodes.

Lenora2 ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2007 at 4:22 PM

But this will do the job? I mean, I do not want to create a separated material but some sort of "add-on blinn" setting...

richardson ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2007 at 5:37 PM

I'm off my pc but it's so EASY to do. Blinn is under specular nodes. Once you double click it into materials , you connect it to alt specular(generally). This you save to Mat library and thus click it onto each matching bodypart....

The matroom is the coolest thing about poser.

Someone here can show you. You need a picture and you'll be off...

Lenora2 ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2007 at 5:41 PM

I already did this but this thing REPLACES the actual material, i do NOT want to replace the original material I want to ADD the blinn to the actual material

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2007 at 10:03 PM

Poser by it's self does not have a way to insert part of a material shader set.

your options are to make/modify the material the way you want it then:

1. right click in the material area and choose "sellect all" to hilight all nodes. then go to each materal in the figure and paste your new stuff.

2. use the copyMAT python wacro (http://www.ralf-sesseler.de/d3d/) to copy your material to any other material zones you like.

3. Get ShaderSpider and use Copy to material group.

Note: the 3 options above require you to make/modify the material for each type of texture. so you will have to add the blinn to a body texture, and to a head texture and copy them to the material zones that use the same texture.

1. your other option is to Use ShaderSpiders partial shader to wedge your blinn into the textures which sounds like what your trying to do.

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

richardson ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 12:01 AM

OK. I'm just not following. I'll let the ones with a Poser screen open answer your questions.

nghayward ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 4:15 AM

Quote - But this will do the job? I mean, I do not want to create a separated material but some sort of "add-on blinn" setting...

The reason I suggested Shader spider above was that it can produce (and save) FX6 partial shaders which could add a Blinn node and leave your textures intact. It also sets up material groups that means the effect can be limited to certain materials (i.e. just the skin)

Lenora2 ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 12:12 PM

Thanks guys!! You helped a lot ^_^ v, it would be so much easier doind a partial material now!

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 1:03 PM · edited Mon, 03 September 2007 at 1:14 PM

Lenora2 - Your answer is the Blender node, I believe.

In the following threads I go into how much V3's skin materials can be changed, without deleting anything from her existing Material Zones, but by just adding to them; and without any geometry.

Adding Materials, rather than Resetting, by Insertion

I used this same principle here:

Making characters wet when they don't have Wet MATS like V3 does

And here:

Matmatic Chainmail

Her lace, Wetness, and Chainmail are really still just her skin, with a little tweaking from the Material Room.

*"Poser by it's self does not have a way to insert part of a material shader set."

*Tyger_purr - I'm suprised you opened this post that way.  It was a thread of yours that actually preceded my thread on the Blender Node.

(Sorry guys, I've thrown the horizontal margin of this thread off a little, becasue I linked an image from another thread, but somehow lost it's display size along the way.)

:biggrin:

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 7:12 PM

Some of you are not answering the question exactly, some of you are. Lenora2 is not asking how to mix a new feature or behavior into a shader, but rather how to save the INCREMENTAL shader feature as a preset which can be applied to a figure (and all her mat zones) with a single click, whilst retaining whatever features are already on the figure's material zones.

And the answer is Shader Spider.

I, too, need to do the same thing, and have not figured it out completely. For simple trivial existing shaders, adding a Blinn into Alternate_Specular is no big deal, but what if there are already things plugged into Alternate_Specular. Shouldn't you be able to remove them too? Like suppose you want partial shaders that apply Glossy versus Blinn. Clicking both, you'd get Glossy AND Blinn which is not desirable is it.

There are limits to what a partial shader can do, and generally it will be only additive. My understanding is Shader Spider can handle these things within  reason. Failing that, you have to learn to program it in Python, as I'm doing.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Lenora2 ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 7:48 PM

Bagginsbill got the right spot, that's what I wanted

so now I know I will really need the shader spider program (or whatever the devil it is... a plugin probably)

Thanks!

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 8:17 PM · edited Mon, 03 September 2007 at 8:29 PM

What an Incrimental Shader; a Material you need to apply to a set of Material Zones?

How would Shader Spider only replace part of a shader, through a set of Material Zones; would'nt the Texture Map literally get overwritten, all be it with possibly the same thing?

Lenora2 ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 8:30 PM

sorta of, just something I would like to save on my Material Library as a Material and could be applied to any texture without replacing it

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 9:14 PM · edited Mon, 03 September 2007 at 9:16 PM

Shader Spider(as useful as it is) is'nt going to get you around replaceing a whole Material Zone, or set of Material Zones, from soup to nuts.  

Shader Spider, like a Material Collection Library Preset, could contain some of the same nodes, as the Material Zone(s) you are replacing; so it would'nt seem like that was changed, though technically it would have been overwritten.

Correct me if I'm wrong; but you were looking to:

"add into the skin WITHOUT changing/replacing the original texture map."

Similar to the IM requet you sent, that I reiterate my post?

There is no way to just add nodes, from the Material Library, nor Shader Spider.  

You could use python to do it, like we did in the thread from my first image.  

Or by hand like I detailed in my reply:

*A.) Open the Material Room.  Select the Material Zone you do'nt want to change, just add to. Have a good look at the Nodes, and try to organize it as best as possible, by just dragging them together a little. This will make telling the old nodes from the new nodes much easier, in a moment.

B.)  Load a Primitive Prop, or find a different Material Zone you do'nt care about.  And apply the second material to it.  Then organize this second set of nodes, like you did for the first set.

C.)  Click one of the new nodes, to select it(it's title will turn yellow.)  Now puch your keyboard's Ctrl. button, and hold it down.  Then click on each of the other nodes, of that second material.  you need to do this slow, becasue Poser is'nt all that fast.  And I would include that PoserSurface node, unless you know it's the same as the first material's.  Now all of the node's Title Bars should be yellow.  Right click on one of them, and select Copy.

D.) Go back to the first Material Zone.  Put your Cursor over the brown background of the Material Pallette(Where he ther nodes are, bt not directly over any of the existing nodes.)  Right Click, and selec Paste.

E.) Now you've got the two materials together, and can start plugging the whole thing together; using the Blender node.

Lenora2 ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 9:17 PM

So I guess that I will keep doing it by my own hands... I usually do that, but looked for something that would take less time XP

Well, think my copy/paste technicque wasn't so wrong at all ^_^

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 9:21 PM · edited Mon, 03 September 2007 at 9:30 PM

Like I said Python can do it, but we'll have to go be very nice to the Python Scriptor's Forum, because it would be written spicifically for what you want to add, and possibly specifially for a certain instance of a material(rather than any material.)

I suspect this feature will be a new function of Poser eventually, which may be another reason I hav'nt had much success asking for it, save the initial success tromnek was so very kind as to provid.

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 9:43 PM

Let me restate your question. tell me if i have it right

you have a typical setup with a texture map plugged into the diffuse spot, and probably in the Specular spot as well.

You want to add blinn to the alternate_specular, without loosing the currently attached texture map and you want to apply it quickly to other material zones

Shader spider can do this.

ShaderSpider will apply it to the current material, all materials, selected materials, predefined groups, or other material groups with the same current setup.

If Set up right you can even put shader nodes between the base and the currently attached texture map.

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 9:50 PM

Attached Link: http://www.poseworks.com/shaderspider/help/ss6/pages/howtoPartial.html

here is how a partial shader works

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 9:52 PM

Attached Link: http://www.poseworks.com/shaderspider/help/ss6/pages/howtoWedge.html

and this is what they call a wedge partial shader

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 10:21 PM · edited Mon, 03 September 2007 at 10:22 PM

Thanks Tyger-_Purr!

Wow, PoseWorks scores again.

I'm sure I looked into FX6s, a year ago, but I never saw the Wedge tutorial!

How have I missed this....

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 10:35 PM

Quote - Thanks Tyger-_Purr!

Wow, PoseWorks scores again.

I'm sure I looked into FX6s, a year ago, but I never saw the Wedge tutorial!

How have I missed this....

well, its possible that you looked at it early on. I know when ShaderSpider first came out the "wedge" was not a part of the program.

Lenora2 ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2007 at 11:31 AM

My thanks Tyger_purr and angeloscurity you are so helpfull ^_^

and the tutorial showed exactly what I want to do!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.