Sun, Oct 6, 3:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 7:30 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: P4... yes P4... startup problem.

lemur01 ( ) posted Sat, 29 September 2007 at 11:41 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 3:11 AM

Got a problem with P4 that i haven't been able to sort. Suddenly, when i start it up, only the top left quarter of the work window is it's usual blegh brown colour. The other three quarters is white. Trying to render (even with only the default P4 figure in it) results in the 'out of memory' message.

I've played with the virtual memory, even jacking it up to silly numbers, but Nada. Reinstalling Poser... zilch. Even reinstalling Windows did nothing.

Has anyone got any ideas cos i'm starting to suffer poser withdrawal?

Jack

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sat, 29 September 2007 at 3:51 PM

if ya can tell 'em more about yer machine, e.g. processor, RAM, graphics card, OS, then one of the experts may be able to help. my guess is an incompatible graphics card driver, unless P4 is trying to start up with a bad pz3 file.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Sat, 29 September 2007 at 4:07 PM

Attached Link: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/pagedefrag.mspx

Have you changed anything recently? Installed more memory, changed hardware, that sort of thing? Poser is sensitive to issues with memory and virtual memory, P4 (it seems) especially so. My installation motored along fine for ages then suddenly started giving out of memory errors on rendering. Assuming you're using an Windows NT-based operating system (2000 or XP) the first thing you might try is defragmenting your system files, in particular the paging file, using pagedefrag from the link.

lemur01 ( ) posted Sun, 30 September 2007 at 3:45 AM · edited Sun, 30 September 2007 at 3:45 AM

Morning all and thanks for the replies.

I'm running an AMD Athlon XP2000+ 1.67 GHz with 1 Gig RAM. The OS is XP pro. The Graphics card is an Nvidia GeForce 5500. Never had any trouble with this set up before and there have been no hardware changes. I've uninstalled a couple of old games that may have caused a problem, especially one called 'Fighting Steel' which used a thing called 'Indeo' (i think... something like that). But even then, i've played that game before with no problems to Poser.

I've changed the Pz3 and used everything from the basic poser figures to the M3 figure as the startup, all with the same result. Ah, that's a point. I didn't mention that the figure is actually invisible on the screen. You only know it is there when you run the mouse over it and the body part is highlighted. The body parts can be grabbed and moved too. But when it comes to rendering the processor is running at 100% but either the 'out of memory' message appears or the prog just stops responding.

According to Windows, the drive Poser is on does not need defraging but I ran the pagedefrag util and that didn't change anything either i'm afraid.

Jack

EnglishBob ( ) posted Sun, 30 September 2007 at 11:37 AM

The invisible figure problem sounds like the old "too much memory" thing. The 4.03 update was supposed to fix that - you do have that installed?

lemur01 ( ) posted Sun, 30 September 2007 at 1:28 PM

Ummm... Not sure, but where would i find it?

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 30 September 2007 at 3:21 PM

bad reference line in pz3 file will also cause spurious p4 memory warning. check yer version of P4, as it's likely gonna say 4.03.xxxx already. mine was 4.02.118 (mac OS 9). the spurious memory issue never bothered me. I got the update from larry's ghosteffects.com site, which is now called http://www.larryweinberg.com/gallery2/main.php

lemur01 ( ) posted Sun, 30 September 2007 at 3:21 PM

Version no is 4.0.3.127

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 30 September 2007 at 3:51 PM

don't bother updating. start up poser app to empty scene (no pz3 file).

Faery_Light ( ) posted Mon, 01 October 2007 at 12:44 AM

I've had that same problem but with poser Pro. closing everything down and rebooting my computer fixes it for a new session. But it does it again if I use P7 first. Some programs have that effect on it. I have WinXP on an EMachine with 1.5 GHZ and 1GB RAM.

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
     BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

lemur01 ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2007 at 11:22 AM

Hi again, sorry i've not had time to reply, RL getting in the way again.

I loaded with an empty scene and, although it still hung up again, at least it got further along before doing so. There is still the problem of only opening with three quarters of the workspace whited out... any ideas why?

Jack

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.