Sun, Oct 6, 8:58 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: What?

johnfields ( ) posted Tue, 09 October 2007 at 9:49 AM · edited Fri, 16 August 2024 at 2:50 AM

I am confused - I can get memory issues on multi figure renders. I am running 2 pentium 4 3.00 GHz processors with 2 GB of Ram and 90GB of open space on the C drive - I should be able to render damn nearly anything! I have tried changing my pagefile to 3022 windows wants to run it at 2015 any thoughts?

Penguinisto ( ) posted Tue, 09 October 2007 at 10:24 AM

Attached Link: http://mylittlebussiness.blogspot.com/2006/09/faster-windows-xp-heres-how.html

Your swap/page file won't change much... One way to force things in Windows though (and make it faster) is to set the following configuration setting, which forces Windows to use as much RAM as possible before it reaches for the "virtual memory" file:

Quote - If you have more than 256MB of RAM this tweak will considerably improve your performance. It basically makes sure that your PC uses every last drop of memory (faster than swap file) before it starts using the swap file. 1. Go to Start then Run

1. Type “msconfig.exe” then ok
  2. Click on the System.ini tab
  3. Expand the 386enh tab by clicking on the plus sign
  4. Click on new then in the blank box type”ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1″
  5. Click OK
  6. Restart PC

Quoted from the link above.

I use this setting on a crappy old laptop I bought recently, which is a P3-800, and only has 512MB of RAM (with ab't 56 some-odd GB free on the 120GB hard drive I jammed into it).

HTH a little. It's the only way P6 even thinks of launching on the laptop (and it's still dog-slow).

As an alternative, you could use DAZ|Studio - it's free, and runs a hell of a lot faster on the hardware.

/P

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 09 October 2007 at 10:40 AM

Keep in mind that especially when using multiple figures, each and every texture bitmap must be uncompressed to its full color and size resolution - times however many figures, and probably times each material zone for each figure.  You can try reducing texture map sizes before rendering (simply back them up, and then scale them down in some image editor).  For distance shots you may not even notice the loss of texture quality. 

Poser 6 is also pretty bad about bloating up on memory usage while rendering.  Poser 7 is a lot cleaner, but if your process gets above around 2.5GB it still tends to blow up and die.  This is the big advantage of 64-bit operating systems and render engines, because you don't have that 3GB process size limit any more.

My Freebies

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.