Sun, Oct 6, 6:21 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Backing up runtimes on C drive

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2007 at 4:12 AM · edited Wed, 25 September 2024 at 3:19 PM

It's time for me to back up all my Poser content. Any tips on doing so? I don't want to be under the assumption I've saved all my content the right way, only for a day to come when I whip out the CD, and files are corrupted or invalid etc.

Suggestions (starting with the best quality CD for storing Poser files) are greatly appreciated as I don't want to lose anything I've collected thus far.

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2007 at 4:34 AM

Simple way, just copy the entire "runtime" to an XHD or if it's small enough to a DVD.
That way if you have a catastrophic HD failure all you need do is re-install Poser to your new HD, delete the runtime and replace it with the backed up one, job done nice and simple and it works with no problems!
Had to do it last year when 2 new HD's fried on me!
The first time I had to re-install eveything by hand, took approx. 2 weeks solid every day, the above method took maybe 2 hours!!!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2007 at 4:47 AM

HD means "high definition". What is XHD?

And entire runtime? My C drive runtime starts with:

C:/Poser 6 runtimes/Clothes/V3, Aiko, Jessi etc.
Shoes/V3, Aiko, etc
hair/V3, Aiko, etc.

So I'm assuming you mean back up where it says Poser 6 runtimes. The main folder? Please forgive me if all this seems obvious. I just want to do this carefully so I don't get any unpleasant surprises in the future. And thanks for not only responding but sharing what went wrong for you in the past. Gives me things to watch out for.

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2007 at 4:55 AM

Nope!!
HD = Hard drive
XHD = External hard drive

As for the runtime, I only have one runtime arranged in sub folders so backing up is really simple!

C:Poser6Runtime

So all I do is copy the folder that says "Runtime" in Poser over to my XHD.

Hope that's clearer, I'm never any good at explaining stuff!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2007 at 5:03 AM

LOL I totally got HD wrong. HD=hard drive. DUH!

Thanks Fixer!

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2007 at 5:05 AM

You're welcome!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2007 at 5:33 AM

Another question...

What should the specs be for the XHD of someone who's a download-a-holic?

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2007 at 5:36 AM

Well as big as you can afford I guess!!
Mine is currently a 250 Gig one which is plenty big enough for now!

My pc is also set up in Raid 1 Array so I have a permanent back up there too, with a bit of luck I'll never run into the mess I had last year!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2007 at 5:41 AM

Okey dokey! Bigger is better. Gonna google XHDs and put it on my Christimas list for Santa. :)

Thanks again.

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2007 at 6:00 AM

Oh! One thing I learned the hard way is that if you use Poser to compress your files, do not zip them before you burn them to CD.

I did that and every single CD that I burned gave me errors about "not enough data to inflate" and I had to reinstall everything from scratch.

If you compress your files using Poser, when to go to burn them to a CD either burn them in that compressed state, or uncompress them in Poser and then zip them.  But don't compress and then zip.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2007 at 7:02 AM

If you decide on an XHD make sure before you buy it that you can get replacement parts, ie the power supply. I bought one a couple of years ago & discovered after blowing the supply that I can't buy a replacement as the manufacturer doesn't take orders outside the US.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2007 at 8:17 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Quote - If you decide on an XHD make sure before you buy it that you can get replacement parts, ie the power supply. I bought one a couple of years ago & discovered after blowing the supply that I can't buy a replacement as the manufacturer doesn't take orders outside the US.

You're in the UK, right?  Well, here's an interesting bit of retail law, which I'm sure Karen will confirm:

If it's less than 5 years old, the retailer has a legal obligation to provide replacement parts for it.  If they can't do that, you are entitled to "depreciated credit", ie the full retail value of your item, less a deduction for the amount of use you had out of it.   Generally, most things are calculated at having a 5 year life, so your product would lose a fifth of its value for every year that passes.  

So, even if it was out of warranty, you should get back almost what you paid for it.

If you bought it from PC World (and why on earth would you?), don't take any shit from the store, call the Customer Services dept and get them to sort it.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2007 at 9:26 AM

WOW thanks for the info SamT, I did buy it from PC World & I'll learn one day not to do such stupid things ;)

I'm pretty sure I still have the receipt in the box so I'll pop in there tomorrow & see what they say.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2007 at 9:53 AM

gazes into crystal ball...

You'll probably get absolutely nowhere with the store.  Their in store staff will most likely fob you off with "It's out of warranty" or some other nonsense.  On the other hand, you may just strike it lucky and find someone there with a brain.  But I doubt it.  Anyhow, the power supply may be able to be replaced with a generic one.  Their own repair (haha) division, Disastercare, er sorry, Mastercare, should be able to come up with something.  Assuming they can replace the power supply, naturally, you'll have to pay for it.  It's only if they can't provide a replacement that the partial refund comes into play.

One thing they may want to do is send it away to one of their repair centres, in which case, good luck at getting it back before the next millennium.  Unfortunately, you'll have to play the game, though.  They are entitled at making a stab at sorting it out in, as the law says, "a reasonable time".  Assuming the worst, if they can't come up with a solution within 28 days, call the Customer Service office in Sheffield and tell them your tale of woe.  They may want you to send the thing to them with a covering letter, then you'll get your partial refund.  Most likely they'll send you vouchers, which you can use at PCWorld or Currys.  

Then again, if the store manager or the staff actually have their common sense mode enabled, you'll get it all done and dusted in the store.  Now, why can't I say that with a straight face?  Well, probably because most PC World managers and staff have all the social skills of an enraged warthog and their instore repair guys are about one step down from a starfish.  In my opinion, of course.  :) 

How do I know all this?  Well, I used to work for Dixons Group, of which PC World is a part.  AFAIK, the Customer Service office ain't open on Sunday. 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2007 at 11:13 AM · edited Sat, 03 November 2007 at 11:15 AM

Thanks for the all the feedback. I'll make make sure to do as suggested. I learned a great deal and will now avoid serious errors. 

I'm going to save all these to CDs for now using Acadia's suggestions and then around Christmas or Tax time get me an XHD.

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2007 at 9:15 PM

I just lost my HD about 3 weeks ago (the file system, thankfully, not the actual drive...dang virii...;), just as I was starting to back up my Runtime...;)

I had a database of Poser stuff, so I knew pretty much what was gone (as of a year ago...I didn't say I updated that...;)

I did have another bit of a-retentiveness in that whenever I loaded something up to Poser, I moved the original zip to a directory called 'Used'. so that really helped things get back on track.

What you need to really check is the limited-time freebies from Daz, Sixus1, or whatever. 'Cause you may not get those back by redownloading (is that a word?...;) Back up early and often...

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2007 at 9:21 PM

Quote -
What you need to really check is the limited-time freebies from Daz, Sixus1, or whatever. 'Cause you may not get those back by redownloading (is that a word?...;) Back up early and often...

That's why I'm in  a madd rush to save these someplace safe. HA! i didn't sign up for nothing. LOL Put it like this, pre-signing up, I had no intentions on becoming a PC member . The goodies= the hook! I didn't know until someone posted they were only going to be in your account until the 8th...

Boofy ( ) posted Sun, 04 November 2007 at 8:48 PM

Thanks for the info guys, I am looking at doing another backup and cringing in horror, this at least makes it awkwardly bearable as against a complete horror of a job! Jen

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.