Mon, Oct 21, 9:56 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 9:06 pm)

Subject: Dial-A-Prop......

TheWolfWithin ( ) posted Mon, 03 December 2007 at 9:03 PM · edited Wed, 24 July 2024 at 11:29 PM

back in the days of Poser 4, i remember seeing a tutorial for geometry switching within one prop file.......Dial-A-Prop, it was called......a single prop file that changed into other props with the turn of a dial........i cannot, however, for the life of me remember where i saw it nor can i find it through Google or elsewhere.......i'd very much like to be able to find out something about it......any and all help is appreciated....

MegaJax ( ) posted Mon, 03 December 2007 at 11:02 PM

OK, This is driving me nutts now, I think I saw the thing your on about a few days ago, but I can't remember where... I think it was called "The Magic Box" or "Magic Morphing Box" or something like that. I know it said it could be changed into 50 other props by spinning a dial.

This is goung to keep me up all bloody night now (it's already 5am now and I have spent almost the last 2 hour trying to find it..... GRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrr....... (NOTE 2 SELF:  Avoid the forums for at least 2 hours before wanting to go to bed!!!) LOL

Hope you can find it, I will keep looking after I get some sleep.

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Tue, 04 December 2007 at 2:07 AM

You sure you're not thinking of the amazing Millenium Box from Daz? it was an april fool a couple of years ago ;)

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

BeyondVR ( ) posted Tue, 04 December 2007 at 3:18 AM

Sounds like how they did hands for P2 and later lo-res figures.  The hand shapes were changed with a dial, with numbers representing the hand shapes.  There are separate OBJs for each shape.  I think there are folders under Geometries for femaleHands and maleHands.  The figures should be under Poser something-or-other.

John

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 04 December 2007 at 7:27 AM

yeah, the cube that changed into a thousand disguises? I remember that...just don't remember downloading it..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

nightmare_machine ( ) posted Tue, 04 December 2007 at 7:33 AM

it wasn't the Box, i'm sure ;) i remember that one could download a prop that used geometry switching, and there was also the tutorial on how it was done.......i'm very, VERY tentative in saying that it might have been Anton Keisel (is that correct???) who did it......

MegaJax ( ) posted Tue, 04 December 2007 at 8:19 AM

** FOUND IT ! ! ! ! !**
It is in the DOWNLOADS - POSER PROPS - PAGE2 @
http://stevesartgallery.bryce-alive.net/

TheWolfWithin ( ) posted Tue, 04 December 2007 at 8:37 AM

i am most grateful......your efforts are greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!

MegaJax ( ) posted Tue, 04 December 2007 at 8:42 AM

Your welcome, it was not a problem, I knew I had seen it withing the last few days, just had to go through a couple of hundred sites from my browser history for the last week LOL

Glad I could find it though as it was driving me nutts  lastnight trying to remember where I had seen it.

nickedshield ( ) posted Tue, 04 December 2007 at 11:39 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2216563

If you wish to set up your own Dial-A-Prop, Anton explaines how to do it in this thread:

I must remember to remember what it was I had to remember.

lesbentley ( ) posted Tue, 04 December 2007 at 3:21 PM

file_394844.DOC

The Dial_A_Prop.pp2 was made by Jeff H, August 25, 2000. I think it was posted in the Poser Pros Yahoo news geoup, note that this is not the same Poser Pros the popular 3D web site.

Not sure if I'm allowed to redistribute the "Dial_A_Prop.pp2" file, and I don't have the tutorial, but attached above is a similar file constructed from scratch "Swap-Prop.pp2.DOC". Save it to a Props folder, dropping the ".DOC" part of the file name.

Note this file was tested in P6, it should work in P5 and above, but will NOT work in P4 or below.

I will try to give some explination in a further poste.

lesbentley ( ) posted Tue, 04 December 2007 at 5:00 PM

Here is a bit of explination regarding the Swap-Prop.pp2 from my previous poste.

I started with the Poser box.pp2. I did a Search and Replace of the string "box_1" with "Swap-Prop_1". The declaration was left pointing to the box.obj as the default geometry.

In the definition block I added four 'alternateGeom' blocks. The name in the 'alternateGeom' lines can be anything as long as it is diffrent in each block, I used descriptive names like "ball" and "cone". The body of the 'alternateGeom' block starts with 'objFile' followed by a unique number, followed by the path to the object starting from 'Runtime'. The block can contain a 'name' line above the 'objFile' line, but as this is not necessary and seems to serve no purpose I left it out. So an example of one 'alternateGeom' block would be:

alternateGeom    <uiniqueName>
                {
                objFile <uniqueNumber> :Runtime:Geometries:<someFolder>:<some obj file>
                }
E.g:

alternateGeom    firstAltGeom
                {
                objFile 1001 :Runtime:Geometries:props:MyFirst.obj
                }

As far as I know there is no limit to the number of 'alternateGeom' blocks you can place in the file. Now for the channel to change the geometry. The channel type is 'geomChan', the channel name can be anything you like. The body of the channel starts with the special statement 'uniqueInterp'. Limits are forced ('forceLimits 4') to limit the travel of the dial, the 'min' value should be zero, and the max value should be the number of alternate geometrys (not counting the default geometry which is number "0"). The 'trackingScale' is usually set to "0.045" as setting it to "1" can make the dial over sensitive, and less than "0.045" can make the dial seem slugish. That's about it, below is an example of a 'geomChan' channel:

geomChan Swap-Prop
                        {
                        uniqueInterp
                        name Swap-Prop
                        initValue 0
                        hidden 0
                        forceLimits 4
                        min 0
                        max 4
                        trackingScale 0.045
                        keys
                                {
                                static  0
                                k  0  0
                                }
                        interpStyleLocked 1
                        }

TheWolfWithin ( ) posted Wed, 05 December 2007 at 8:36 AM

turns out the Incredible Cube was a prop loaded with morphs, but i'm grateful just the same for the work you did looking for it, MegaJax..........now then, this new information is exactly what i was looking for, and thanks to everyone who provided me with it!!! hopefully i'll be able to return the favor someday........

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.