Tue, Oct 1, 5:07 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: It had to Happen: ShareCG Revenue Sharing Cancelled.

Touchwood ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 2:10 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 4:44 PM

For those who don't subscribe the email in full: Dear ShareCG Members, It is with much regret that we are ending our revenue sharing system. The payouts you will receive for December will be the last that ShareCG gives out. We are ending the revenue sharing system for a few reasons. First, it encouraged a lot of mediocre, copyright, and spam material to be posted to our site. We want ShareCG to be a community that represents high quality content, and revenue sharing brought out the worst, not the best, in our community. Second, it became uneconomical. We would pay thousands of dollars to our users, but most individual users would not make that much. We are still exploring alternate ways to deal with these problems and begin revenue sharing again. We are still committed to that ideal. For the time being, however, we are disabling revenue sharing until we come up with a better system. We are now concentrating on making the website more useful for our users in other ways. We will integrate a jobs section, where you can use the talent you have shown on the site to find work. We will also introduce a flash enabled and embeddable portfolio, which will allow you to show off the work you have posted to ShareCG to employers and peers. Finally, we will be restructuring the layout of the site to make it easier for you to share feedback with your expert peers, and help you become a better artist. I think that we have a great site with a lot of excellent material and committed users. I hope our community of over 20,000 contributions continues to grow. Thank You, The ShareCG Team Will they pay out to those that haven't made the $20 min I wonder?

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 2:57 PM

I reckon they can fix it up by hiring staff to reject the majority of users spamming their system. it's the same here - sometimes stuff slips thru into freestuff and galleries during busy periods, but they usually catch it, due to having admins watching it when they can.

patorak ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 3:15 PM

I don't know if they will make a payout or not,  there's no signed contracts. 

Anniebel ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 3:27 PM

I don't really mind not getting paid, I always just found it convenient to host my freebies.

As long as they continue to host them, I am happy.

The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but felt in the heart.

Helen Keller

My Gallery                       My Freebies                        My Store

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 3:42 PM

There are plenty of free hosting sites, like my preferred, 4shared. This just cuts off people who in a lot of causes posted stuff trying to make a quick buck, and some of properties they did not own licenses to.

I read about one guy who would just repackage free stuff in his own name and upload it to build his catalog.

Guess this will slow down the feeding frenzy.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

patorak ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 3:55 PM

I wonder if they had a problem with people setting up macros to generate views?

onnetz ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 4:06 PM

touchwood: go through the forums at sharcg. They posted that anyone with at least a $1 would be payed in a week or so.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or play with it,

just pee on it and walk away. :-)

I wouldnt have to manage my anger

if people would manage their stupidity......

Touchwood ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 4:42 PM

Quote - touchwood: go through the forums at sharcg. They posted that anyone with at least a $1 would be payed in a week or so.

Phew! Just made it through then..😄 But seriously though, as with Anniebel it was only a place to initially host rather than make money.

ockham ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 5:04 PM

@Patorak: I was wondering about that too.  When I'd look at the new postings,
I'd often see two items of similar quality and type, and one would have 70 views
in a day, while the other had 800 views in a day.  Seemed beyond randomness...

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 5:26 PM

Well as much as I'd love to lay blame on the mediocre uploads, part of the blame has to rest with the owners/staff here who rarely made their opinions or presence known on any of the subject matter going on on the site. I'm disappointed but hardly surprised. They hardly policed the forums let alone the uploaded content.

My Freebies

patorak ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 5:30 PM

I had my suspicions when I clicked on one of my freebies,  without loggong in,  and the view registered.

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 5:48 PM

Quote - There are plenty of free hosting sites, like my preferred, 4shared. This just cuts off people who in a lot of causes posted stuff trying to make a quick buck, and some of properties they did not own licenses to.

I read about one guy who would just repackage free stuff in his own name and upload it to build his catalog.

Guess this will slow down the feeding frenzy.

Yeah he was repackaging free images from another online Image hosting site and uploading them to ShareCG as Cyclorama backgrounds. The site admins ended up allowing it because the original owner would not or could not get around his own "Free to redistribute" clause. All the guy ended up having to do was add links back to the original owners site.

My Freebies

patorak ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 6:03 PM

Maybe they could ban him for being a public nuisance.

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 6:48 PM

What I read was in another 3d forum, someone redistributing free meshes as his own.. that's probably another case all together, but sharecg went from being a good idea, to an unregulated playground for kiddies trying to make a few quick bucks.. not even REAL money, mind you, but just a few pennies for a lot of work.

Doesn't make much sense, and it's probably best to shut it down, rethink the plan, and then reopen with regulation and rules, much like Rendo and Daz.

I looked at it once, saw what a mess it was, and then just decided that f I REALLY needed o redistribute something to make it available, I'd resort to it as a last resort.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

Faery_Light ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 7:27 PM

Well, it's sad that it was abused but I'll leave my freebies there for folks to download unless they decide to charge a fee (can't afford another fee for anything) or until they decide to close down. then I'll be looking elswhere...sigh. And I did get my payout, under $20.00, but it helps me get something I need this month. BTW: Matrix, did you get the Miki1 freebie I uploaded?

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
     BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 7:57 PM

Quote - Well, it's sad that it was abused but I'll leave my freebies there for folks to download unless they decide to charge a fee (can't afford another fee for anything) or until they decide to close down. then I'll be looking elswhere...sigh. And I did get my payout, under $20.00, but it helps me get something I need this month. BTW: Matrix, did you get the Miki1 freebie I uploaded?

Yes I sure did, but I haven't had much chance what with the holidays and helping my brother move to Texas this past week. I had to follow him and his U-Haul with his car and just got back home today.

My Freebies

patorak ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 8:11 PM

I'm with BluEcho,  I'm going to leave mine up as well.  Matter of fact,  I think I'll start uploading my V4 full body morphs tomorrow.

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 8:15 PM

I'm torn between making more content and just letting what I have there now ride it out. Here I just got home from a long trip and was planning on working on some new stuff only to find the happy news in my email when I got home.

My Freebies

patorak ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 9:42 PM

Definitly make more content,  you've got the talent.  As for sharecg,  at least it's not as bad as the 3dCafe debacle.

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 10:20 PM

Well I do have plans for a Wizard Robe for James and those who share his body type plus whatever I can do with Wardrobe Wizard 2 to make it work for other figures. We'll see what comes of it.

My Freebies

nruddock ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 10:33 PM

Quote - Definitly make more content,  you've got the talent.  As for sharecg,  at least it's not as bad as the 3dCafe debacle.

What did happen at or to 3DCafe ?
Their freebies disappeared under the guise of reworking the free section and haven't reappeared (after what must be several years).

Faery_Light ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 10:37 PM

I won't be uploading any new freebies for a bit but that's because i'll be busy on a new retail product.

there is still a Judy morph/texture set I want to post as a freebie later.
got to figure out how to work the morph INJ for her though.

umm, hope you'll all excuse any typos tonight, got a lot of pain going on.
whole body feels like a war zone...ugh.

patorak ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 11:12 PM

Freebies were being ripped,  retextured and sold in different markets.  The Princeton library was started because of this.  http://shape.cs.princeton.edu/search.html.  In hopes of keeping track of the anonymous models.  See,  some people weren't aware that they should place their name and a copyright tag on their models.  They thought they were just sharing modeling techniques through their uploads.  No one imagined anybody would do this in an art community.  And, everyone held 3DCafe responsible and pulled their freebies until 3DCafe tracks down all the ripped models. 

nruddock ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 12:27 AM

Quote - Freebies were being ripped,  retextured and sold in different markets.

I pretty much expected this to be part of the cause.
This sort of thing is endemic and some people aren't very subtle about ripping of the figures included with various versions of Poser (I've seen and reported a site where someone was offering P6 Jessie as a 3DS download, and were using screenshots of Poser for thumbnails!).

Quote - The Princeton library was started because of this.

Interesting, I didn't know that.
According the the Princeton FAQ, they remove models that are no longer available (presumably from legitimate sources).

Quote - See,  some people weren't aware that they should place their name and a copyright tag on their models.

I doubt that it would have made much difference even if they had done (a copyright tag hasn't been a necessity for some time as those things which can be copyrighted are so by default, for all the effect that has).

Quote - And, everyone held 3DCafe responsible and pulled their freebies until 3DCafe tracks down all the ripped models.

So they won't be back anytime soon then.

Faery_Light ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 12:36 AM

I browsed there  a few times but didn't download anything.
One or two items had my interest but listed as anonymous and that put me off.
I like to know who owns a model so I can see the restrictions on it.
If there is no readme or othe info, how do you know if it's legal to use?
In those cases I just won't download them.

infinity10 ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 3:20 AM

Argh, I just started moving my freebies ( inferior as they are compared to other talented folk ) over to sharecg ! 

It's much easier to use than divshare. 

I hadn't planned on even collecting payment because I never gave them y paypal details. 

Anyway.  I'm putting more of my freebies up there over the next few minutes.

Eternal Hobbyist

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 9:15 AM · edited Sat, 05 January 2008 at 9:17 AM

Quote - Argh, I just started moving my freebies ( inferior as they are compared to other talented folk ) over to sharecg ! 

It's much easier to use than divshare. 

I hadn't planned on even collecting payment because I never gave them y paypal details. 

Anyway.  I'm putting more of my freebies up there over the next few minutes.

Payment aside, I still consider ShareCG a reliable and easy to use host for my freebies. I won't pull my items unless I'm asked to by the owners of the site. I know some of my items are being used which is why I made them in the first place.

Besides, there's still a PayPal donate button on all my stuff which generous people can still use if they like seeing my stuff and wish to motivate me to make more.

My Freebies

Stepdad ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 9:40 AM

Quote -
Payment aside, I still consider ShareCG a reliable and easy to use host for my freebies. I won't pull my items unless I'm asked to by the owners of the site. I know some of my items are being used which is why I made them in the first place.

Besides, there's still a PayPal donate button on all my stuff which generous people can still use if they like seeing my stuff and wish to motivate me to make more.

Same here, I still plan on using it as a site to host freebies, since in truth that was all that ever really interested me.  If by some quirk of fate I managed to make a enough for for a soda out of the deal great, but I never really did expect to make much from there revenue sharing concept as it was because I saw all of the, well, lets be honest, crap that some of the less scrupulous folks were uploading getting tons of hits - a sure indication that their old way of doing things going to last long at all.

If your a modeller who's interest is in the revenue aspect and you spend the time to make a high quality model, it would have to be frustrating to upload your stuff to ShareCG and get tons of downloads, and then only end up with a couple of bucks a month for your trouble because some guy uploading total garbage and spamming hundreds of sites with it is generating as many if not more hits than you are.

Nope, there entire approach was to reliant on the honesty of other people, and sadly there are always those out there willing to abuse the system to make a few extra bucks, even at the expense of honest folks.

I send a couple of suggestions to ShareCG on how they could modify there revenue sharing system and make it viable, hopefully they might be able to implement a few of the changes I suggested and get it back up and running again.

But regardless Sharecg is still my choice for a freebie server, when I feel I'm ready I'll release the stuff I want to generate revenue as commercial packages, but until then they still make a great free hosting site.

Stepdad

MadameX ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 9:57 AM

I had just opened an account there this Sunday sigh

Earned all of $.42 for December...lol. I don't plan to remove what I have there, either, and will continue to put future freebies there. I like the concept, even without the revenue sharing, tho since it was their intention to begin with, to share with the members, I hope they are able to bring it back. Not that I ever thought I'd make loads of money, no. But anything would be welcome. And like MW said, there's still the paypal button. Not that that would bring in loads either....lol.

Faery_Light ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 11:01 AM

I'll leave mine there for a bit longer too.

I almost left Renderosity when they were making changes because so many people were upset.
But I just made a few changes instead and stayed.
Their new rules really doesn't affect me much.

So unless sharecg does decide to ask that all freebies be removed or start charcing for the service, I'll remain there too.

patorak ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 12:13 PM

I'm going to keep uploading the V4 morphs I've created.  A friend wanted ethnic morphs,  other than cranium variances,  I don't see a real difference in bone structure.  So I'll keep uploading in hopes someone else would be able to add on to them and come up with an ethnic pack for V4.

As for the models,  I really need to study Poser's material room.  Especially,  phong and fresnel.
Also,  to see if I can come up with a decent wax surface,  too.  After that I'll upload them. 

The things I like about ShareCG is that there has been no software bashing,  and the atmosphere reminds me of the old 3d Artist magazine.

That being said,  I'll continue uploading there regardless of a payout.

The only thing I'm wondering about is if I should include a list of the tools that I used in my 3d modeler to make the morphs and models.

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 4:24 PM

Matrix, you were in Texas and didn't stop by and say hi to me !??! :ohmy:

That is just wrong in soooo many ways :laugh:

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 4:38 PM

Quote - Matrix, you were in Texas and didn't stop by and say hi to me !??! :ohmy:

That is just wrong in soooo many ways :laugh:

Hon I was helping my brother to move to Austin about 4 hours away from you. If I'd had the energy to come on over to Houston after unloading the U-Haul I'd love to have met. Maybe on a  trip that's more leisurely visit when I come back down to see him in my RV. ;)

My Freebies

ninhalo5 ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 4:39 PM

I'm sorry people it's all my fault....  just joined in Dec  now they are cancelling.... this seems to follow me everywhere 😄

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 5:20 PM

Quote - I'm sorry people it's all my fault....  just joined in Dec  now they are cancelling.... this seems to follow me everywhere 😄

You too?! I made my very first freebie last month and needed somewhere to host it because I thought at the time my own site was going to close. Out of all the free sites that I've had to download from, ShareCG seemed the most "user downloader" friendly IE: not having to sit and wait for a download link to appear etc.  That's the only reason I uploaded it there. I had no $$ in my eyes.

I don't see why people would stop uploading their freebies there just because of their new policy to not pay out for downloads/views etc.  If you like to make things and don't have your own web space, you need a space to host the item anyway, so I'm not really seeing why some are questioning continuing to use them for their freebies.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

ninhalo5 ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 5:52 PM

it's funny I did'nt even know about the commision thing until after I uploaded my first freebie.
I like the way the site is set up and so many people use their free services.
when I fist uploaded my freebie I used a different site and that site took you through 3 different links just to get to my download. with sharecg it's just one click... that's worth it's weight in gold.
wether or not they give you commision I don't care I love the fact that there is no hassle for people to find your d/l and it's FREE  yeah

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 6:45 PM

Quote - I don't see why people would stop uploading their freebies there just because of their new policy to not pay out for downloads/views etc.  If you like to make things and don't have your own web space, you need a space to host the item anyway, so I'm not really seeing why some are questioning continuing to use them for their freebies.

Frankly, I think the people talking about bailing are one and the same with the people who were only there for he money and not to actually share their CG items. I say good riddence to those who were only there for the money and to abuse the system.

My Freebies

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 7:29 PM

Quote - Hon I was helping my brother to move to Austin about 4 hours away from you. If I'd had the energy to come on over to Houston after unloading the U-Haul I'd love to have met. Maybe on a  trip that's more leisurely visit when I come back down to see him in my RV. ;)

Well....ok...I'll let ya slide this time...but next time,  and it's the Jelly Pelter for you :P

~Jani

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 7:37 PM

Quote - > Quote - Hon I was helping my brother to move to Austin about 4 hours away from you. If I'd had the energy to come on over to Houston after unloading the U-Haul I'd love to have met. Maybe on a  trip that's more leisurely visit when I come back down to see him in my RV. ;)

Well....ok...I'll let ya slide this time...but next time,  and it's the Jelly Pelter for you :P

Will it be Blackberry Jelly? Maybe I should misbehave on purpose? :tt2: Who knows when I'll be back. We still own a duplex in Spring as it is that is being lease purchased by some Romanians. Never know if we'll have to come deal with that property or not. 😉  If they fail to keep up their payments, and they're currently a month behind, I may end up being your neighbor! LOL!

My Freebies

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 7:43 PM

Spring eh? Even closer to me than Houston..I'm in Conroe..about 42 miles outside Houston :)

And if you just must have blackberry jelly, you will have to wait until winter is over, cuz we dun have any right now :tt2:

~Jani

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 7:54 PM

Quote - Spring eh? Even closer to me than Houston..I'm in Conroe..about 42 miles outside Houston :)

And if you just must have blackberry jelly, you will have to wait until winter is over, cuz we dun have any right now :tt2:

Hehehe I'll come and misbehave in Spring in Springtime then! Anything for Blackberries!

My Freebies

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 9:27 PM

Ok, I will see if I can scrounge up some blackberries by then....and if you are going to misbehave in Spring, and get close to The Woodlands, keep clear of Shenandoah....one and only ticket I ever got was there...I think they were all bored or something, because there was 5 police that came out of nowhere.....ya would'a thought I was some mass murderer, instead of a woman with 2 small kids in the backseat,  who didn't have a inspection sticker :lol:

~Jani

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 10:32 PM

Gah! The dreaded Inspection Sticker Brigade! I remember them!

My Freebies

Faery_Light ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 11:53 PM

Did someone say"blackberries"?
Mom and I were talking about them tonight.
When we lived in Thayer we had several blackberry patches right on our land.
Mom loved to go and pick them.  then we'd have bBlackberry pie and Blackberry dumplings.
I love them fresh with cream and sugar...yummy!

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Sun, 06 January 2008 at 11:59 AM

My grandparents used to have them growing wild along the fence line on the farm til Grandpa cut them all down as a nuisance. Grandma used to make one helluva Blackberry Cobbler with Ice Cream!

My Freebies

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 06 January 2008 at 12:02 PM

I prefer strawberries and raspberries :)

Faery_Light ( ) posted Sun, 06 January 2008 at 1:14 PM

MatrixWorkz, that really does sound yummy.

Acadia, I like both of then too. But I used to love cream and sugar over fresh strawberries.

But now I can't eat any of them...:(

Started with an allergy to oranges last year, now any fruit that has pectin will cause white blisters in my mouth and down my throat....sigh.

Excuse me while I go and cry....boo-hooo.

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Sun, 06 January 2008 at 6:19 PM

I think we've successfully turned this into the fruit's and berries thread. :tt2:

My Freebies

ninhalo5 ( ) posted Sun, 06 January 2008 at 6:43 PM

there you go Acadia.... matrix is giving you the raspberries  :laugh:

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 06 January 2008 at 7:13 PM

file_397008.jpg

Mmmm... raspberries :wub: 🤤

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 06 January 2008 at 7:29 PM

Quote - Mmmm... raspberries :wub: 🤤

You are not be at all supportive of my diet!!! :glare:

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.