Sun, Oct 6, 10:12 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: More Mac/Carrara/Poser Woes: Slow Work

sfdex ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2008 at 11:42 PM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 8:42 PM

Hi, all --

I keep having new problems with the Mac - Carrara 6 Pro - Poser 6 workflow.  Here's a new one that I've done a search for an answer for and found nothing:

I've loaded an animation of two Poser figures into C6P via transposer.  The figures are wearing clothes and have solid objects as hair.  (The end result is a cartoon, so I'm not using transparency or anything fancy in the hair arena.)  Carrara becomes unbelievably slow with these two characters.  Here's what I mean.

The animation is 9 seconds long.  I click on the timeline at, say, 4 seconds in (or I type the desired frame into the current time field on the sequencer tray -- doesn't matter).  Carrara doesn't respond for a good 15 or 20 seconds, then I get the spinning beachball for another 20 or 30 seconds, and then, finally, the scene moves to the 4 second point.  Once I'm at the 4 second mark, I can move characters around, move the camera, change lights and so on in a reasonably quick manner, but the fact that it takes nearly a minute just to get the current time indicator to move to a sepcified time is crazy.  As you can imagine, this delay makes it difficult to do any interesting camera moves or really ANYTHING inside Carrara. 

Is there something I'm doing wrong?  It's clearly not the open GL settings or anything like that, as once I'm at the desired time, everything moves just fine.  It's just moving to a new point in the animation. 

This happens on both our Quad-Core G5 and our Octo-core MacPro.

It almost seems like Carrara is loading the scene in from poser at every frame, and that's what's taking so long.  Could that be the case?

Is there any way of making it possible to actually DO something in Carrara with a Poser animation?

Please help!

Thanks!
Dex

PS:  I used to do similar work using C5P and Poser 6 on a much less powerful machine under Windows XP and it seemed to be much faster.  Could this be yet another Mac only issue?  And please, don't anyone tell me "get windows," "run windows under wine," "run windows under bootcamp" or anything like that.  It's just not helpful;  I'm on a mac and I'm staying there, and the software should work on a Mac, as Daz and Eovia before them have sold it as cross-platform.  Thanks!

GKDantas ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 6:03 AM

Just a question, why you are using Transposer? Transposer was realized for C6 just to keep old C5 scenes compatible...are you loading PZ3 files?

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 11:03 AM

I believe that there are some Mac specific multi-core issues being addressed along with a cross platform memory leak in the next release according to the bug tracker. I personally have been avoiding the Transposer thing since I can do everything from within Carrara. That DOES make a huge difference in how Carrara manages resources. While I like the Poser walk generator, once you understand the Carrara non-linear editor, you can get similar results just as quickly.

GKDantas ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 11:48 AM

Another idea: save your  Pose and load it in Carrara! Animated or static poses works fine.

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 4:46 PM

yep, I get the spinning rainbow in 10.4.10 as well, quite often.  glad to know they're working on it.
in regard to poser interactions, would agree with GK to try saving the motion as a pz2 file, if the pz3
file is slow-loading in c6pro.  if the default runtime in the poser 6 folder is on a remote disk,
that may slow it down as well.  I find c6pro is often asking me where the default runtime is,
then I realise I turned off the drive on which it's located.  works o.k. once I load the drive.

sfdex ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 1:05 AM

Thanks, everyone, for the responses.  I am glad to hear that Daz may be working on this issue, but during the day today, my partner figured out how to do the work inside Carrara, bypassing Poser pretty much entierly.  There's a bunch of new work to do -- rebuilding some characters and such -- but it does move MUCH more quickly.

The only downside is that Carrara doesn't seem to preview in real time as Poser does, and I've gotten quite used to using Poser's real-time features to gauge the speed of animation -- how quickly should a hand turn in a gesture or that sort of thing.  It'll just be a bit of a learning curve and some trial and error.

But major kudos to Daz for getting the integration with Carrara and Daz content so nice.  It's quite impressive.  I haven't tried the non-linear editor or, in fact, many of the new features of C6P and am looking forward to getting some play time in with the software. 

Thanks again -- great forum here!

• Dex

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.