Sat, Oct 5, 6:10 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 26 4:27 pm)

Subject: animating bump with avi?

thlayli2003 ( ) posted Mon, 28 January 2008 at 11:29 AM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 10:54 PM

I made a water ripple greyscale heightmap and exported it as an avi.  Is it possible to use this to animate the bump of an object?  I have tried and I can't get it to work.

Any ideas?  

bruno021 ( ) posted Mon, 28 January 2008 at 12:11 PM

If it is an image, saving it as an avi will result in a faulty file. Try opening it in winamp or whatever video player you use, chances are you'll get an error message.
You should simply load it into the bump channel, and animate the whole material in the advanced material editor.
Or create a second heighfield, and use this 2nd map at some point in your bump channel. If  you have already set up an animation, Vue will ask if you want to animate the transition between the two bump functions. Say yes, and the bumps will morph into one another.

thlayli2003 ( ) posted Mon, 28 January 2008 at 2:05 PM

Sorry.   I wasn't clear.   The avi heightmap is animated and 3 seconds long.  It has the water ripples and rebounds from the edges of the frame.  Because of the rebounds it would be difficult to animate this in the material editor.   Would it be possible to load the avi into the function editor as a color map added to the bump channel?

Thanks for your reply.

bruno021 ( ) posted Mon, 28 January 2008 at 2:31 PM

Worth a try, but if it fails, you could just re render your animated heighfield, but not as an avi, as an image sequence, and load that image sequence in the bump channel in the function editor, by using an animated texture node.

thlayli2003 ( ) posted Mon, 28 January 2008 at 4:16 PM

It works.  I forgot to load it as an aminated texture node.  Thanks again!! 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.