Wed, Oct 2, 9:35 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: FaceShop Pro 3.5 tutorials?

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2008 at 5:18 PM · edited Wed, 21 August 2024 at 6:06 PM

I see that Abalone has tutorial videos but they couldn't have picked a more frustrating format.  Why Flash?  I can't download it.  I don't really like the idea of having my browser open for 60 hours while I go back and forth.  Something wrong with MOV or WMV (well, other than M$...) or MPEG options for offline viewing?

Anybody have other tutorial resources?  Before gettin' down to business with the software, I'd like to be prepared - especially considering what I've read so far.

Thanks,
Robert

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2008 at 5:54 PM

Try this one over at Dr. Geep's Poser University

http://drgeep.com/NPU/admin/mainoffice/FaceShop/FaceShop.htm

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2008 at 6:26 PM

Aha.  Leave it to the ole' Doctor (who? Geep). ;)

Now I just wish the undo was rational?

Thanks, Acadia.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2008 at 7:31 PM

You're welcome :)

Took a bit of digging to find that because it's not "Poser". I couldn't find it on the new site so I went to the old one. I found it inside in Class Room 1.  It's pretty easy to follow. I managed to get up to the UV Mapper portion before it completely lost me.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Wed, 06 February 2008 at 7:44 PM · edited Wed, 06 February 2008 at 7:45 PM

Attached Link: http://www.abalonellc.com/watchdemovideo.html

> Quote - I see that Abalone has tutorial videos but they couldn't have picked a more frustrating format.  Why Flash?  I can't download it.  I don't really like the idea of having my browser open for 60 hours while I go back and forth.  Something wrong with MOV or WMV (well, other than M$...) or MPEG options for offline viewing? > > Anybody have other tutorial resources?  Before gettin' down to business with the software, I'd like to be prepared - especially considering what I've read so far. > > Thanks, > Robert

Robert,

some of the videos on abalone are wmf format. (swf plays also fast on all the computers I tried on - maybe your flash needs to be updated?).
http://www.abalonellc.com/watchdemovideo.html
Additional info on abalone includes downloadable manuals as pdf files.
Best,
Laslo

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Wed, 06 February 2008 at 10:28 PM · edited Wed, 06 February 2008 at 10:31 PM

Hi Laslo,

It's not that I can't play them in my browser but I'd rather have them locally to examine at my leisure.  Unfortunately, my time will be intermittent between using FaceShop and doing actual work. :)

The included tutorial PDF was very useful and I've already pulled out le guillotine and cut off some Poser figure heads to receive the morphs and texture maps.

One question if you don't mind:  Is there any way to combine the results of several photos taken from different angles?  I would imagine that the more angles, the more accurate the resulting 'molded' geometry would be.  For instance, I have ImageModeler which uses photogrammetry to create 3D models from multiple-angled photos.  It could actually be used to do similar things as FaceShop (and has) but its downside is that quality conversion requires almost ridiculous numbers of correlated reference points between the set of photos.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Wed, 06 February 2008 at 11:29 PM

Quote - Hi Laslo,

It's not that I can't play them in my browser but I'd rather have them locally to examine at my leisure.  Unfortunately, my time will be intermittent between using FaceShop and doing actual work. :)

The included tutorial PDF was very useful and I've already pulled out le guillotine and cut off some Poser figure heads to receive the morphs and texture maps.

One question if you don't mind:  Is there any way to combine the results of several photos taken from different angles?  I would imagine that the more angles, the more accurate the resulting 'molded' geometry would be.  For instance, I have ImageModeler which uses photogrammetry to create 3D models from multiple-angled photos.  It could actually be used to do similar things as FaceShop (and has) but its downside is that quality conversion requires almost ridiculous numbers of correlated reference points between the set of photos.

Yes, the "Refine" feature allows you to model using front and side images (the texture will be derived from the first image used).
Some people go further: they create several different morphs using several different photos of the same person. They than load all these morphs (in Poser or D/S) and using the dials "dial-in" the differentrmorphs at different dials, almost like a mixer.
Laslo

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2008 at 12:07 AM

How far off of 'front' and 'side' can one go with the source images? :)

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2008 at 9:20 AM

Quote - How far off of 'front' and 'side' can one go with the source images? :)

With the first (front) you can be 3/4 profile, no problem.
With the side it is best to have a full profile.
Not all photos will work!!!
Laslo

MaskimXul ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 11:47 PM

Ok, I'm gonna ask a REALLY stupid question.
When you get to the part where you start to outline the left eyebrow:
After outlining the eyebrow, how the heck do you get the line to release?

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 9:36 AM

Right click finishes the lines (WIN) or double click (Mac).
Laslo

MaskimXul ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 11:20 AM

Ahh yes, thanks, I finally figured that out, but what confused me was it says "right click to skip"

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 12:04 PM

Cool. Yes, "righ-click-to skip" also applies at the "dots" to skip points, or on the "curves" screen to skip extra lines.
Laslo

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.