Sun, Oct 6, 10:51 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Mysterious Blue Edges

sfdex ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2008 at 1:33 PM · edited Thu, 26 September 2024 at 12:25 PM

file_400150.jpg

Hi, all --

I've run into a problem I can't figure out.  I'm using some content from DAZ -- the M3 vest, and it has some strange geometry.  Attached, you can see the "mysterious blue edges" are parts of the geometry that are different somehow.  I can't find in the manual or anywhere else what the blue edges signify.

I am unable to change them.  I'm thinking that they must mean the edges are creased, but I can't smooth them; that option (along with almost every other option when opening this figure in the Vertex modeler) is greyed out.

In a second post I'll put up an image of how this area of the geometry renders using the toon!pro renderer.  It's not something I can use.

I've triangulated the model, and the blue edges stay there, but they don't render with the line, so that's an option, except then the vest no longer conforms to M3.  I've tried taking the newly triangulated geometry into Poser to rig it as a new conforming prop, but get a hundred other creases that show up on render.

I'm at my wits end.  Can someone please tell me what these blue lines siginify?

Can someone offer some potential work-arounds?

This project is an animation, so 'paint it out in post,' while possible, is not practical. 

Please help!

Thanks,
Dex

sfdex ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2008 at 1:35 PM

file_400151.jpg

And here's the render.

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2008 at 2:54 PM

The difference between non-colored / yellow edges and blue edges, is the difference between 'smooth edges' and 'creased edges'. To make them go away, select them, go to the menu item 'Model' and choose 'smooth edges'.

They will be gone.

sfdex ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2008 at 7:34 PM

Hey, Hoofd --

I'd suspected as much.  Unfortunately, on this particular geometry, the option to smooth edges is greyed out.   In fact, all options under "model" are greyed out except "Transform."

I've fixed the geometry by opening it in the vertex modeler, converting it to the primitive modeler, then reconverting it to the Vertex.  The "creased" edges stayed creased, but by triangulating the geometry, it's no longer enough of a crease to render as a line in toon!pro.  Unfortunately, the model no longer is a conforming model, so I had to take it into Poser and redo the setup.

Painful, to be sure, but worth it, since this guy is one of the main characters in my current project.

Thanks for verifying my suspicion about the color of the edges!

Dex

ominousplay ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2008 at 9:19 PM

I have to reply - I too am frustrated with the inability ( or my inability ) to adjust the mesh when bringing in from a poser figure - unless you convert it and thus breaking it from conforming. I wanted to add clothing to a figure loaded from Poser, but I can't copy or paste the items to the model, unless I remove the bones... is there a work around? This would fix your problem as well, as you'd be able to adjust the vertex model any way you want... I just don't know.

Never Give Up!

sfdex ( ) posted Mon, 18 February 2008 at 12:19 AM

We're building our characters inside Carrara, now.  That allows us to add or subtract clothing and props pretty easily.  One of our characters smokes, and his cigarette is just parented to the third segment of his forefinger; no problems with bones or even shaders shifting around, as it would if we'd created the character in Poser and brought it into C.

Does that get at what you're looking to do? 

ominousplay ( ) posted Mon, 18 February 2008 at 1:58 AM

I didn't want to jump your post, but yes... if you build it in Carrara, then you can do anything to it.  It is when trying to import from Poser, the models don't want to be messed with or else their link can break.

Will you post some of those Carrara built characters - images?

Never Give Up!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.