Mon, Sep 30, 9:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 30 3:32 am)

Subject: Saving Problem P6

bdev ( ) posted Sun, 09 March 2008 at 5:19 PM · edited Mon, 30 September 2024 at 7:21 AM

Not sure if this is a common problem as a search for the terms brings up too many results to read them all, but anyway...

I've just spent all of today (yes all of today, except for 15 minutes in the shower, and maybe 1 hour preparing and eating meals) setting up a scene in a story series I'm doing, saving to two independent drives every time I add a new element or make a change I'm pleased with, and then I go to load up another .pz3 to grab an already configured prop I need, go back to the saved file and... nothing.  It loads the file, then simply doesn't display any window, won't render, but all the buttons still work (it even asks if I want to save it when I try to close that document!).  I can open the .pz3 in a text editor and everything's there (all 7MB of it), yet Poser 6 won't let me do anything with it.

I had this happen a few times before when I was on the original release of P6, but it hasn't happened since upgrading to SR3.  *Except now when it is exactly at the most infuriating time it could happen.

All day.

Gone.

I'm so annoyed, it's not even funny any more.

Is this a common problem, and if so is there a solution?  The .pz3 is still there and it contains the data, so perhaps it's a case of editing some silly part and then it will work properly?  Maybe?  Please?  (Note the hope and misplaced optimism in my tone here.)
I still have some older .pz3 files from when it used to happen before that I would love to open again.  Didn't have the heart to delete them when they stopped loading, and kept them because, you know, maybe one day they would come back to life again.

Oh, and I recently got Carrara 6 Pro, haven't started learning it yet, but I tried loading the faulty .pz3 into there.  It seems to load in the props, etc, then at the end says that it can't import that .pz3, so I'm guessing it's something to do with how P6 has saved the file, not the "loading in" routine of P6 unable to cope with my saved .pz3.

As soon as I get to  know C6P as well as I know P6, I'm switching to that, absolutely 100% without a doubt oh yes definitely.

Highly annoyed.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 09 March 2008 at 6:52 PM

If you have External Binary Morphs enabled and/or File Compression you may encounter problems such as you described.

I recommend disabling both options.  It won't get your missing files back but it may help prevent further problems.

Personally, I have never encountered the problem you describe so - st least from my own experience - no, it's not common.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

bdev ( ) posted Sun, 09 March 2008 at 7:13 PM

I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Still highly annoyed.  I was even extra careful about saving backup copies, and all the time the evil was present and I didn't know it!  Grrr.
Thinking back, last week I did have a few error messages pop up about saves not being complete and telling me to save it again.  Related or not, I guess I should read those pop-up messages more carefully and actually take notice of what they're reporting.

Thanks!

Yur_Mom1 ( ) posted Sat, 15 March 2008 at 6:47 PM

I've had a similar issue in poser 6. It loads up the window, but everything I saved is completely gone and all the lights are gone too.

bdev ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 1:02 PM

Well, since I switched off those two options (compression and EBM), I have not encountered the problem at all.

That's no guarantee that this is the cause, as I could have been having a run of good luck, but the evidence so far says it's looking very likely it is.

LadyElf ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 7:57 PM

I had that happen to me last week, I went in and deleted the pmd file and reloaded the scene, then resaved as something else.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.