Mon, Sep 30, 1:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 8:28 am)

Subject: How can you make hair for Poser figures?

Gurichi ( ) posted Tue, 11 March 2008 at 6:43 AM · edited Mon, 30 September 2024 at 1:21 AM

Hi, I'd like to ask if anyone knows how to make prop/geometry+texture hair?
I'm trying to make an original character of mine, but his hair is pretty weird, so I'd have to make it myself... Is there any way I could make decent looking hair with some sort of free program? Or do you know of any good tutorials? I'd like to try to learn the process of modeling hair.
Oh, and if you make one-half of a geometry/prop hair, can you flip it to make the other half and the merge them together?
(If it matters, the figure I'm using is H3)

Or does anyone know if you can mirror a prop made in the Poser 6 hair room?

Thanks for any help in advance!

EnglishBob ( ) posted Tue, 11 March 2008 at 7:17 AM

Hair making tutorials are hard to find. The actual modelling is not hard, and can be done with one of the free 3D modellers - however the mapping and texturing is more critical for a realistic result. The transmap has to be done right, and it helps a great deal if the mapping is very flat, so that straight hairs on the maps appear straight on the final model. You can make half a head of hair and mirror it, but obviously the result would be perfectly symmetrical. Most people's hair isn't symmetrical.

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 11 March 2008 at 8:03 AM

I've seen a few, but they tend to be sort of low-poly anime-style hair. There's one in Wings, just don't remember where it is.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Gurichi ( ) posted Tue, 11 March 2008 at 4:14 PM

Quote - Hair making tutorials are hard to find. The actual modelling is not hard, and can be done with one of the free 3D modellers - however the mapping and texturing is more critical for a realistic result. The transmap has to be done right, and it helps a great deal if the mapping is very flat, so that straight hairs on the maps appear straight on the final model. You can make half a head of hair and mirror it, but obviously the result would be perfectly symmetrical. Most people's hair isn't symmetrical.

Well my character is anime and I designed him to have hair that's the same on both sides, so mirroring seems like a good option..
Do you know how to mirror a prop? I don't..
And lets see.. I have wings 3d, but.. It seems that it only makes shapes, and I wouldn't know how to get it to look like hair..

EnglishBob ( ) posted Tue, 11 March 2008 at 4:23 PM

But hair is a shape... :) If it's an anime character, then I guess "solid" hair is what you're looking for rather than the more realistic transmapped stuff. The only advice I can give is to practice with Wings, and get good at it - which is how you get things to look like the shapes in your imagination, basically, although I realise that doesn't sound very helpful. Wings will do the mirroring for you, I'm sure. What I often do is model the whole object, then choose the best half, cut it down the middle, mirror the remaining half and join them back together. The folks in the Wings forum may be able to remember where Pakled's hair tut was, if he can't...

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 11 March 2008 at 8:58 PM
Site Admin

http://wings3d.com/hairtute.php Here's a link to the wings3d hair tutorial. I hope it helps. You might also ask in the wings forum for help if tha's the program you want to use.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.