Thu, Sep 19, 9:07 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 3:46 am)

Subject: Good riddance PoserPros

flibbits ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2008 at 6:51 PM · edited Mon, 16 September 2024 at 8:14 AM

I have nothing against the site.  It was a good site with some good products.  But when they send me an email saying the doors are closing so come to our 50% off sale, and provide a link, I expect to find some 50% sale items.  Browsing through the first two pages of sale items there are some for 10% off, some for 20% and even 30%, but none for half off.

It seems kind of dishonest to tout a 50% off sale then send people to a sale that's a lot less than 50% off.

flibbits ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2008 at 6:53 PM · edited Wed, 12 March 2008 at 6:54 PM

I found a few items 50% off by page four, but not many.  Many of the OKCRandy items are 50% sale items.

Kendra ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2008 at 7:21 PM

The site isn't demanding all it's vendors sell at 50%, it's an individual choice.  That sale has been going for a bit so I do believe you're the one late to the party.  I've no doubt there's many who have already moved on by now.

...... Kendra

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2008 at 7:32 PM

Quote - The site isn't demanding all it's vendors sell at 50%, it's an individual choice.  That sale has been going for a bit so I do believe you're the one late to the party.  I've no doubt there's many who have already moved on by now.

I have been looking through the store since I heard it was closing. I didn't see any "blow out" sales going on.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

flibbits ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2008 at 7:32 PM · edited Wed, 12 March 2008 at 7:36 PM

Maybe I was a little hasty.  I had been checking the site since the closing was announced.  50% items are there, just not separated on a page.

nruddock ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2008 at 7:45 PM

Two things that need mentioning :-

1. PoserPros only has a single category that lists everything that's on sale.
  2. Some of the items that were on sale at 50% may no longer be in the store there (having been moved out to whatever new home they've got if any).
    The number of items on sale has shrunk considerably since the original closing date (29th Feb).

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2008 at 10:31 PM

i was looking for BLOWOUT ! too, but never did see anything I would describe as a blowout. Oh well. I wasn't very active over there...was at the beginning, but never really got into the site all that much.
I did buy a few items over there over the years, but overall never found much there that I needed.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

Marque ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2008 at 12:12 AM

When Daz took over, and don't get me wrong I like Daz, I lost interest in the site. The reason I went in the beginning is because it wasn't Daz or Rendo or 3DCommune, they were different. Seems like it's soon going to be just a few sites and that's too bad. Without new blood Poser is just getting boring. Sorry just my opinion.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2008 at 12:27 AM · edited Thu, 13 March 2008 at 12:31 AM

"New blood" comes in here everyday.  Just not always to the forums.  There's an entire (and quite large) population of gallery dwellers who never stick their heads into the forums at all.  ((So they probably never receive the benefit of any of those gallery comment threads......and just comment - or not - on images as they like.))

Plus there are a gazillion or so small Poser / D|S-related sites, which come and go over time.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

R_Hatch ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2008 at 2:25 AM

Usually when there's a big sale, the items with bigger discounts sell out first, leaving items with lower discounts. The website then must shuffle the remaining items to fill space, and so things get out of order.

...of course I'm being silly :P

aeilkema ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2008 at 2:33 AM

I did expect a huge bow out sale also. When I closed part of my store (not Poser related, game content related) I had a huge sale 75%-90% off items. When going out of business you could still make a good number of sales if by dropping the price.

From the moment DAZ took over it was clear that PoserPros wouldn't survive at all, since the site lost it's originality and difference. I still wonder why DAZ even bought PoserPros, but I guess that it's just for taking the competition out of business. If you can't beat them, buy them and close them, works just as well. Then open up a new store, which is excactly like your own and you've got full control again.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2008 at 3:30 AM

I always said they'd get rid of it one day, people scoffed, pointed fingers & laughed saying "it'll never happen". Well I told you it would happen & it has now.

We've got Content Parasite & Rosity ending their partnership, Daz starting to consolidate it's sites, they're gearing up for a fight, Poser in one corner & D|S in the other with Rosity stuck in the middle ripe for both sides to pick over it's corpse.

The day Daz releases a figure that won't support poser is fast approaching, I've predicted this since D|S was announced & you can bet your life once the dynamic cloth plugin is ready things will move a lot quicker.

I do sound a bit melodramatic don't I? But I'm right, you'll see, it won't be the end of the community but it will split it down the middle.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

aeilkema ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2008 at 3:55 AM

I've said the same for a while now and I even put my words into action..... I've been buying up all the content I want before more of it dissapears and before DAZ and CP are making more moves that exlude each other.

DAZ is already releasing D/S only content once in a while to see how the community reacts and the resistance against it has been very little, so we can see more of it in the future.

CP is more and more gearing towards their own G2 figures, securing their own future.... too bad for us who don't like the G2's.

DAZ doesn't support the G2 figures and once they can go head to head with Poser they will slowly drop Poser support, but I think it won't happen this year.

I would really advice others to start buying up their wishlist items at various stores, otherwise you may regret it in the not to far away future.

It's too bad that DAZ and CP/EF/SM still can't get along, it would have been much butter if they could, instead of this silent war going on, but the silence is slowly fading away.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

Paloth ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2008 at 5:50 AM

I think the content providers will be careful to avoid doing something idiotic that will cut their sells in half. The relative virtues of Daz Studio or Poser aside for a moment, people need Poser to get their scenes into Vue. If Daz isn't going to allow that to happen for their content, sells will suffer. I suspect that not even a Carrara fanboy would assert that his program is the best solution for realistic outdoor settings. Do I believe that Daz will endeavor to hurt its own sells? Not for a minute. Do I believe that Smith Micro might have a case if it wished to waste money on suing Daz for the Studio clone of its software? Maybe, but Daz content is largely responsible for keeping Poser alive. Either way, I don't think a change is in store anytime soon since change is risky and potentially expensive.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

JenX ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2008 at 8:36 AM

I know it hasn't happened yet, and I'm glad for it...but let's keep this from turning into a "Man, they really suck, and here are 10,000 reasons why!!" threads :) 

Jeni

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2008 at 9:19 AM · edited Thu, 13 March 2008 at 9:26 AM

Quote - "New blood" comes in here everyday.

...and some of it simply gets refreshed with new blood... (I'm rebuilding Renderotica as I type this... and damnit, I'm down to three virgins. Do you people realize how frickin' hard it is to find virgins in Portland!? Gah - it was easier in Utah.) /P

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2008 at 9:24 AM

Quote - I always said they'd get rid of it one day, people scoffed...

Oh, for Hell's sake... now everyone's a prophet. I hereby prophesy, here and now, that someday, at an undetermined point in the future, that everyone reading this post will die... of something. There. Now I'm a psychic too! In all seriousness, PPros lasted 3 years longer than it should have - it should've died when Mehndi imploded. It didn't (which was pretty cool on DAZ' part). -- As for the big, fat D|S vs. Poser thing? Heh. Whatever... When that hits, I'll be over at Renderotica happily helping Diane, Greek, Legume, and all the campers there profit and get happy with both apps. You see - not everyone is going to pick a side. Some of us are going to go all Switzerland about it... /P

Blackhearted ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2008 at 9:29 AM

Quote - The day Daz releases a figure that won't support poser is fast approaching, I've predicted this since D|S was announced & you can bet your life once the dynamic cloth plugin is ready things will move a lot quicker.

considering that Daz's success is directly linked to the bloated Runtimes of the Poser community, such a move would be both petty and suicidal. what possible benefit could they have in excluding 3/4 of the market? they make their money on Poser content, not D|S.
you wont see such a move for a long time.

id like to see either Daz or SM improve the rigging in Poser -- we are using a decade old system and right now despite despite Daz's heroic efforts with all the JCMs and magnets we still have figures that look inhuman in many poses. yet as years go by both companies balk at addressing the problem because it would be more difficult to implement than simply adding another renderer feature due to everyone's pre-existing legacy content. we can'd keep going like this forever though.

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2008 at 10:16 AM

Quote - > Quote - I always said they'd get rid of it one day, people scoffed...

Oh, for Hell's sake... now everyone's a prophet. I hereby prophesy, here and now, that someday, at an undetermined point in the future, that everyone reading this post will die... of something. There. Now I'm a psychic too! In all seriousness, PPros lasted 3 years longer than it should have - it should've died when Mehndi imploded. It didn't (which was pretty cool on DAZ' part). -- As for the big, fat D|S vs. Poser thing? Heh. Whatever... When that hits, I'll be over at Renderotica happily helping Diane, Greek, Legume, and all the campers there profit and get happy with both apps. You see - not everyone is going to pick a side. Some of us are going to go all Switzerland about it... /P

But that's the thing you see, I did predict the end of Poser Pros & it is happening right now.

See you in the funny papers ;)

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2008 at 10:43 AM

Quote -

But that's the thing you see, I did predict the end of Poser Pros...

Okay, so you can cough up a URL saying that it would die in early 2008, right? ;)

/P

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2008 at 10:45 AM

Quote - I hereby prophesy, here and now, that someday, at an undetermined point in the future, that everyone reading this post will die... of something. 

:lol:

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

JenX ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2008 at 11:02 AM

Quote - Oh, for Hell's sake... now everyone's a prophet. I hereby prophesy, here and now, that someday, at an undetermined point in the future, that everyone reading this post will die... of something. 

Not me.  I plan to die of nothing.

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2008 at 11:22 AM

Yep, just give me a few minutes & you'll have your thread :p

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2008 at 12:17 PM

Quote - id like to see either Daz or SM improve the rigging in Poser -- we are using a decade old system and right now despite despite Daz's heroic efforts with all the JCMs and magnets we still have figures that look inhuman in many poses. yet as years go by both companies balk at addressing the problem because it would be more difficult to implement than simply adding another renderer feature due to everyone's pre-existing legacy content. we can'd keep going like this forever though.

I've heard over on Artzone that very soon D|S will be able to create Cr2 files and that we'll be able to use it to rig things. I think if that happens, improvements will follow.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2008 at 12:38 PM

Quote - You see - not everyone is going to pick a side. Some of us are going to go all Switzerland about it... /P

On this point, we agree.  I'll use both software programs.  Whatever does the job that I want to do.

((However -- I will point out a sidetrack-to-the-topic technicality -- certain historical facts which have recently been revealed serve to raise serious questions about just exactly how 'neutral' Switzerland actually was during WWII.))

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2008 at 12:55 PM · edited Thu, 13 March 2008 at 12:56 PM

Quote - ((However -- I will point out a sidetrack-to-the-topic technicality -- certain historical facts which have recently been revealed serve to raise serious questions about just exactly how 'neutral' Switzerland actually was during WWII.))

There's a quote, I forget from whom - one of the classic English writers, that, paraphrased says: 'Neutrality is one step away from switching sides'

For me, when it comes to software, it's true, I stay pretty neutral so I can use what best serves my current interests.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2008 at 6:13 PM · edited Thu, 13 March 2008 at 6:13 PM

Actually, I think Switzerland/Schweitz/Helvetia analogy fits... After all, they were only in it for the dough (and earned tons), and looked out for their own population.

Any halfway decent website will (should) do the same, IMHO. :)

/P

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2008 at 6:25 PM

Quote - Not me.  I plan to die of nothing.

I'm too ornery to die :laugh:

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

Lord_syphex ( ) posted Fri, 14 March 2008 at 12:14 AM

Since I've returned from my brief hiatus. I've read alot of threads about this or that site closing some of wich surprise me, and then some of it doesn't surprise me all that much. But there also seems to be just an uneasiness in the community at large. Like everyone's gearing up for a fight.

So in that light I'll ask the question. Is it about time for another good ol fashioned Rendo blow-out?

If so let me know, I'll go back on hiatus till it's over.:biggrin:

Penguinisto ( ) posted Fri, 14 March 2008 at 9:24 AM

Sites always come and go. The very first site, Poserforum, now redirects to... DAZ. Funny thing is, Poser was originally dead, dead, dead. It was the NNTP/USENET group and the Poserforum site that helped bring the thing back to life. Rendo, Renderotica, Animotions, and 3DCommune are the only three forum-heavy websites that have lasted from the time I first discovered the thing (2001) to present. alt.binaries.poser is still around in USENET. DAZ, CP and RDNA sprouted forums in the meanwhile, and DAZ is (IMHO) bigger than Rendo in forum activity. If anything, things have gotten bigger and (again, IMHO) better since then, overall. /P

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.