Wed, Sep 18, 1:36 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Softer Shadows in AO

Lenora2 ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2008 at 2:00 PM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 1:36 PM

Hi, it's me gain with probably a dumb question...

To achieve more real feel to my renders I usually use the Occlusion_Master wacro (from face_off) in my character. It's pretty nice, altough it takes like a month to render (specially near hair areas) but I was wondering something. The shadows that are reflected on my character skin are kinda sharp, and I kinda want a more smooth look. How do I do that?

I looked in the foruns but the answers were too complex or too empty, so I decided to post exactly what I wanted.

Thanks already!

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2008 at 2:04 PM

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Lenora2 ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2008 at 2:39 PM

I didn't mean that, I mean Ambient occlusion shadows, not overall shadows... Like the different levels of smoothness in 4blueyes IBL Bright package (sharp, soft, softer)

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2008 at 2:42 PM

What you can do is, in addition to what you're already doing with AO on the material (which is what OcclusionMaster does) you can also turn on full scene AO in one of your lights, or more than one; this will make AO shading happen in more than one way, both will stack.  You can have a softer, wider effect on the light that will overlap the stronger effect on the material, might be what you're looking for.

My Freebies

Lenora2 ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2008 at 2:53 PM

That's the opposite of what I'm doing.

I use occlusion master to avoid using AO in a light, my computer is not fancy eonough for that, and I just want thing to shadow over the main character, but in a soft way.

as an example: the hair of my actual render (where I'm using Occlusion master in a A3 character) projected a shadow of itself over Aiko's face. That's good, that's correct. But the shadow wich was projected was too sharp... I can't describe that without illustrating what I want...

Like when you put your hand between a lightspot and a wall; closer your hand get's to the wall, shaper the shadow appears; the closer your hand gets to the spotlight, the shadow projected gets smoother.

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2008 at 2:57 PM

When you get into how shadow spreads, that's not much to do with AO, it has to do with shadow settings for your lights.
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2730707&page=1

My Freebies

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2008 at 3:09 PM · edited Mon, 17 March 2008 at 3:09 PM

file_402177.jpg

The AO node doesn't really have all the control it should.

If you want more control and are willing to hook up more nodes, you can get it.

Add these two nodes - a Blender, and a Math:Bias.

The Blender:Blending value can be reduced to decrease the overall darkness of the AO. This is what AO:Strength should be doing, but AO:Strength does nothing at all. Blending=1 is the neutral value - no change.

The Math:Bias:Value_2 can be increased to soften the edges. Value_2=.5 is the neutral value - no change.

This render is at the neutral values - same as you'd get with AO node alone.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2008 at 3:10 PM

file_402178.jpg

Blending=1, Bias=.7 - softer.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2008 at 3:11 PM

file_402179.jpg

Blending=.7, Bias=.5 - lighter.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2008 at 3:12 PM

file_402180.jpg

Blending=.7, Bias=.7 - lighter, softer shadows!

Lenora2 ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2008 at 3:16 PM

Thanks BagginBlill, i will certainly try out what you just explained...

Problably that's what was done in 4blueyes packege of Bright Lights...

Lenora2 ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2008 at 4:54 PM

After a lot of testing I found out what to do...

I apllyied the settings of the Light AO into the node, and it worked fantastic ^_^

Thanks for all your tipping!

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 30 May 2008 at 4:04 PM

Quote - Blending=.7, Bias=.5 - lighter.

can we also use here colors for AO? 

i know your old settings. but here you made it softer. could i make it red?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.