Fri, Sep 20, 12:41 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: 8core speed

TOXE ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2008 at 12:26 PM · edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 6:58 AM

Hi all,

testing an animation, i'm confused about render times. With multi thread active the render time is 6 second, without it 7 seconds. Someone can explain why the difference is so small?

-TOXE

Dwarg ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2008 at 2:23 PM

I'm no expert about Carrara's CPU usage but with render times that low per frame you're probably near the law of diminishing returns.  It has to take some time to buffer the frame, rasterize texture maps, etc. Even the act of breaking the scene into pieces to distribute among the cores then reassembling them is going to add a little time.

Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear.

Good luck with your render.

TOXE ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 2:14 AM

Yes, maybe you're right, i need to make some tests on other scenes. BTW with modo and lightwave i can see an impressive difference.

Thanks Dwarg:-)

-TOXE

anxcon ( ) posted Wed, 14 May 2008 at 12:24 PM

im more interested in the cpu :P 8 cores? 1 cpu? as far as i knew, quad core was still the limit, uh without going to NASA =P looks for an 8 core cpu to buy now

though if by 8 cores you ment including networked computers, that would also explain some of the speed issue

have a test that takes about 60 sec to render to see the differences between computers/software, 6-7 sec way too short :)

Pinklet ( ) posted Wed, 14 May 2008 at 2:52 PM

anxcon: No he does mean 8 cores on one computer. I have one too.

Toxe: Your render is so short that you gain little from all 8 cores. As I understand it, it takes also processing power and time to distribute the task for multithreading applications. So in your case this is taking longer then the processing it self.

I had a project that took 47 hours to render on my dual 2.3 G5. It rendered in a little bit under 8 Hours on my MacPro. I love my Mac. :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.