Wed, Sep 18, 6:55 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 6:30 pm)

Subject: Can't set preferences SR3

AVANZ ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 6:26 AM · edited Tue, 17 September 2024 at 1:46 AM

After installing SR3 Poser does not keep my preferences anymore. Can anyone on a MAC confirm that it is the install and not me or my computer causing it.... ;-(

Cheers!

www.charm3d.com

Jules53757 ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 7:00 AM

It's the same on Windows, try to use the backup of your preferences to find all your external runtimes without adding them manually.

Ulli

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

AVANZ ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 7:06 AM · edited Thu, 10 July 2008 at 7:16 AM

I solved the problem!

When I installed SR3 it asked whether I wanted to keep my preferences. I choose the "backup" option. When I looked in the user/library/preferences folder I saw there were 2 Poser preferences folders. One called Poser 7 (old preferences) and one called Poser20080710. I moved the old Poser 7 folder to the desktop and renamed the other one to Poser 7.
That solved my problem!

www.charm3d.com

IsaoShi ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 7:22 AM

But does it still refuse to save any changes to your preferences?

"If I were a shadow, I know I wouldn't like to be half of what I should be."
Mr Otsuka, the old black tomcat in Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami)

AVANZ ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 7:30 AM

It's fine now! It saves my preferences and windows states.

For me SR3 solved quite a few interface annoyances, like I had to double click real slow or nothing would happen. In general the response of the interface is much quicker now.

IsaoShi ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 7:35 AM

Thank you, avanz... that definitely encourages me to install it right away. I'm a complete coward when it comes to new releases, I wait for everyone else to struggle through it first!

Izi

AVANZ ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 7:52 AM

I don't want to scare you, but there might still be some buggies...... ;-)

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 1:56 PM

Quote - Thank you, avanz... that definitely encourages me to install it right away. I'm a complete coward when it comes to new releases, I wait for everyone else to struggle through it first!

Izi

hehe! That's the exact right way to do it! :)

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

IsaoShi ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 2:31 PM · edited Thu, 10 July 2008 at 2:31 PM

I know, Acadia, I know!
But it was like I was meeting someone new and really tasty... I just couldn't help myself.

Well, SR3 hasn't exactly lit up my life, but at least I haven't been bitten by any buggies yet.

Darboshanski ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 6:07 PM

Quote - Thank you, avanz... that definitely encourages me to install it right away. I'm a complete coward when it comes to new releases, I wait for everyone else to struggle through it first!

Izi

Don't feel bad I do the same I kind of wait and see what the major issues are before I install a new anything LOL! I want to install SR3 but I am not sure what it will do to Vue6 Infinite as I set up my poser people in poser7 and then import them into vue. I haven't heard a peep from any Vue user yet so I am in limbo.

My Facebook Page

AVANZ ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 7:27 PM

Somehow I feel more, and more like a guinea pig.....!   ;-)

Skipychic ( ) posted Sat, 12 July 2008 at 8:53 AM

Since I installed SR3 I cannot load any new runtimes.. this is such a bastard.. I have a feeling that Im going th have to reinstall all over again :faint:

Do ants have shoulders, and if not, how do they show they dont care without talking?

LadyMari ( ) posted Sat, 12 July 2008 at 9:20 AM

Skipychic, I don't know if this is related to your issue or not, but something you might want to check.  I had a problem with one of my runtimes not loading.  I got an error message stating that it didn't appear to be a runtime folder.  Sure enough, I checked it, and the heirarchy was hosed.  It just had "libraries" as opposed to the higher "runtime" named folder.  Simply fixed by adding a "runtime" folder and moving the "libraries" into it.  Now it loads up fine.

Skipychic ( ) posted Sat, 12 July 2008 at 9:42 AM

LadyMari, I've tried creating new runtimes, but I get that same message.

Do ants have shoulders, and if not, how do they show they dont care without talking?

IsaoShi ( ) posted Sat, 12 July 2008 at 10:11 AM · edited Sat, 12 July 2008 at 10:13 AM

Hmm, Skipychic.. Poser won't create a new Runtime folder for you... you have to link to one that you have created. I'm not sure if that is misunderstanding your post or not...

I just checked this and it works on my P7SR3... create a new folder for what you want the library to be called (I just called it "test library"), then within that create a new "Runtime" folder. Then go into Poser, Add Library, and open the new Runtime folder. Will that work?

You can also create those new folders from within the Add Library dialogue, but they do have to be there before you can click Open.

Skipychic ( ) posted Sat, 12 July 2008 at 7:59 PM

I have runtimes already created, and it wont link to them, I keep getting that same message

AVANZ ( ) posted Sat, 12 July 2008 at 8:10 PM

Your problem might be related to the one I had and why I started this thread in the first place.

It turned out that some files needed to save the user settings in (like preferences, windows states, but probably also pointers to external runtimes) were in the wrong (backup) folder and not newly generated by Poser. The error message was something like "Can't write to harddisk or Can't create file".

What does your error message say??

Skipychic ( ) posted Sat, 12 July 2008 at 8:23 PM

the message I get is "That folder doesnt seem to be a runtime folder Choose a new runtime folder to add"
I do that, and it still says the same message.. all my already made runtime folders that worked in SR2 get the same message.
Origionally the folders showed up in SR3, but the content was showing up as nil.. that's what alerted me to the problem, so I then tried to re-instate those runtimes, but this is what I get.

Silke ( ) posted Sat, 12 July 2008 at 9:18 PM

Quote - Somehow I feel more, and more like a guinea pig.....!   ;-)

Do you cry alert when the fridge door opens?
If the answer is yes... I would worry.

Silke

IsaoShi ( ) posted Sat, 12 July 2008 at 9:23 PM · edited Sat, 12 July 2008 at 9:31 PM

Skipychic - do you still have problems? What option did you choose for your preferences when you installed SR3? Also, are you PC or Mac?

Do you know about the LibraryPreferences.xml file, which contains the references to your libraries and collections? If not, I'll point you to it and you can see what it looks like (it's a plain text file in your user profile). You may have to rename that file in order to put a boot up Poser's bum and get this bit working again. Poser will create a new one when it starts up again.

PS: have to go to bed now - will try to help tomorrow if needed :O)

Skipychic ( ) posted Sun, 13 July 2008 at 3:36 AM

Quote -

Do you know about the LibraryPreferences.xml file, which contains the references to your libraries and collections? If not, I'll point you to it and you can see what it looks like (it's a plain text file in your user profile). You may have to rename that file in order to put a boot up Poser's bum and get this bit working again. Poser will create a new one when it starts up again.

I'd be interested in booting posers bum by using the xml file.. if you have time to show me where and how...
I kinda like knowing how to manually do those sorts of things..
thanks heaps,
I hope you had a good nights sleep..
If I dont reply soon to your reply to this, it might be because I've gone to bed (stoopid time zone thingy)

IsaoShi ( ) posted Sun, 13 July 2008 at 7:08 AM · edited Sun, 13 July 2008 at 7:09 AM

Hi Skipychic.. you didn't say if you were PC or Mac.
The file we are after is called LibraryPrefs.xml - I got the name wrong before. 

On Mac the file is in: /Users//Library/Preferences/Poser 7/

On Windows it's in your user profile; not sure about Vista, but on XP it's in either:

Documents and SettingsApplication DataPoser 7  
or
Documents and SettingsLocal SettingsApplication DataPoser 7

Note that on PC you will have to use the folder option "Show hidden files and folders" to see those folders in your user profile. That setting is under Tools->Folder Options->View.

As I said, it might be an idea to rename this file and restart Poser. Poser will create a new file with default values. Then try re-connecting to an external Runtime library.

Good luck!
Izi

Skipychic ( ) posted Sun, 13 July 2008 at 8:54 PM

Ooooaaahh.. I'll keep that info for later.. at the moment, I just copied the "download" folder in poser and put it where my runtimes are and copied files over and renamed the download folder to the I wanted, then Poser recognised it as a legit runtime folder.. Atleast now I can use it...
Thanks for your help, I'll definately keep that info for later use :nod: handy stuff to have

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.