Mon, Oct 21, 9:40 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: Fluffy clouds!

Xpleet ( ) posted Fri, 05 September 2008 at 11:50 AM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 12:32 AM

Found out a cool way to make fluffy or billowy metaclouds driven completly by distribution,  the trick was to use 0% roughness, 5 metaclouds. The result looks more like a duststorm texture to me but so be it.
Cool thing also if E-on guys managed to make animatable metaclouds or "smoke-clouds"

don't worry the shape, the function is important.

comments

Trepz ( ) posted Fri, 05 September 2008 at 12:06 PM

...I HATE PEOPLE LIKE YOU...NO, MAYBE JUST YOU...I ...ANYWAY..IT IS IRRELEVANT HONESTY..

GUESS I SHOULDNT HAVE CALLED YOU A D0U( /- BAG...

-Paul

"Many are willing to suffer for their art. Few are willing to learn to draw."

Xpleet ( ) posted Fri, 05 September 2008 at 12:14 PM

Quote - ...I HATE PEOPLE LIKE YOU...NO, MAYBE JUST YOU...I ...ANYWAY..IT IS IRRELEVANT HONESTY..

GUESS I SHOULDNT HAVE CALLED YOU A D0U( /- BAG...

-Paul

thanks in your own, special way :)

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Fri, 05 September 2008 at 12:48 PM

Oh!  Pretty clouds!  Can you show a screen capture of the function? 

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

bruno021 ( ) posted Fri, 05 September 2008 at 1:05 PM

You can animate metaclouds by moving the spheres around. To get more fluffy clouds, add more variation in the material editor, and less uniformity. It won't make for a dramatic change, but will look a bit different.

dlk30341 ( ) posted Fri, 05 September 2008 at 1:30 PM

Please do share those look fabulous!

Xpleet ( ) posted Fri, 05 September 2008 at 2:03 PM · edited Fri, 05 September 2008 at 2:14 PM

Quote - Please do share those look fabulous!

Of course :) ... here you go

there you go

http://rapidshare.com/files/142901533/Billowy_Metaclouds.mat.html

Quote - You can animate metaclouds by moving the spheres around.

No that's not what i meant.

By animating I understand real cloud movements, meaning that the "spheres" gradually expand outwards and new spheres from inside blow out, so you have these "exploding-type" of cumuli clouds. The same thing then could be used for an atomic explosion and such.

bruno021 ( ) posted Fri, 05 September 2008 at 2:17 PM

Oh, alright. Nope, can't be done indeed.

dlk30341 ( ) posted Fri, 05 September 2008 at 2:26 PM

Thanks Xpleet :)

FrankT ( ) posted Fri, 05 September 2008 at 3:06 PM
Xpleet ( ) posted Fri, 05 September 2008 at 3:14 PM

Dang...can someone tell me what teh trick is to get those clouds lit up from inside by a point light?  It just doesn't want to work, even tho I have volumetric light turned on. :(

bruno021 ( ) posted Fri, 05 September 2008 at 3:25 PM

You need to activate the option to influence clouds. With your light selected, right under the object properties panel, there is tiny  cloud icon. Clic it to activate it.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Fri, 05 September 2008 at 3:29 PM

Xpleet,
hey thanks for that! :)

but you should rename your cloud and give it a title, to show your name etc! ;)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

Xpleet ( ) posted Fri, 05 September 2008 at 3:35 PM · edited Fri, 05 September 2008 at 3:41 PM

Quote - Xpleet,
hey thanks for that! :)

but you should rename your cloud and give it a title, to show your name etc! ;)

hehe, thank you, aslong as noone "sells" my file I'm fine. I'm just happy if i can contribute to something.

I will make them downloadable on my deviantart-page under my name then :P.

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Fri, 05 September 2008 at 5:52 PM

Thanks! 

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

Xpleet ( ) posted Sat, 06 September 2008 at 5:24 PM · edited Sat, 06 September 2008 at 5:30 PM

Quote - You need to activate the option to influence clouds. With your light selected, right under the object properties panel, there is tiny  cloud icon. Clic it to activate it.

well that's where I thought it was, however it's no longer there (only the exclude from radiosity icon) and theres no sign of it in the vue manual aswell...>(

volumetric lighting doesn't help aswell.

perhaps a screenshot would help

bruno021 ( ) posted Sat, 06 September 2008 at 5:42 PM

file_413454.jpg

Here, circled in red.

Xpleet ( ) posted Sat, 06 September 2008 at 5:55 PM

Quote - Here, circled in red.

Ok this is dead strange, I don't have this icon..neither in flat nor vue5 style layout.

I tried selecting the light, metacloud and both, but it's not showing up! this is frustrating.

Xpleet ( ) posted Sat, 06 September 2008 at 7:08 PM · edited Sat, 06 September 2008 at 7:12 PM

Oh no, I see they added this feature in 6.6 but that update keeps my Vue crashing every 30 seconds..bah that really sucks so much. After long times i found really no solution for this crap so I'm stuck with 6.5 permanently which only crashes about 1-2 times per hour.

garyandcatherine ( ) posted Sat, 06 September 2008 at 8:15 PM

That is so very impressive.  Thx for the tip.

bruno021 ( ) posted Sun, 07 September 2008 at 2:01 AM

6.6 crashes? Did you try with the latest update? It's pretty stable here.

Xpleet ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2008 at 5:48 PM · edited Thu, 11 September 2008 at 5:49 PM

Ok folks time to give you that update.

I've improved the function slightly so it looks a lil better now, but it's still not my endgoal.

my endgoal would be something like this:

which would probably originate of 3Dsmax or Terragen² matter.

Maybe I could do this with a lot of spheres?

alexcoppo ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 1:48 AM

Xpleet are you shooting for (sick gallows humor example) for nuke mushrooms? If so, I can post several links to picture and movies sites.

Bye!!!

(...remember to duck and cover, because a schoolroom desk is a significant shelter....)

GIMP 2.7.4, Inkscape 0.48, Genetica 3.6 Basic, FilterForge 3 Professional, Blender 2.61, SketchUp 8, PoserPro 2012, Vue 10 Infinite, World Machine 2.3, GeoControl 2

Xpleet ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 9:56 AM

Quote - Xpleet are you shooting for (sick gallows humor example) for nuke mushrooms? If so, I can post several links to picture and movies sites.

Bye!!!

(...remember to duck and cover, because a schoolroom desk is a significant shelter....)

I want thick, fat thunderhead clouds.

Unfortunately, metacloud materials render just too softly!

Mazak ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2008 at 5:30 PM · edited Sat, 13 September 2008 at 5:31 PM

file_413885.jpg

Here is my 1. attempt to this theme. I played with the function editor and filter too.

Mazak

Google+ Bodo Nittel 

Mazak ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2008 at 5:31 PM

file_413886.jpg

And here final result.

Mazak

Google+ Bodo Nittel 

speters1 ( ) posted Wed, 24 September 2008 at 6:42 PM

Xpleet,

How many metacloud spheres did you use for this? Is most of that texture created from the function editor or is it being created by a bunch of metacloud spheres?

Xpleet ( ) posted Wed, 24 September 2008 at 6:46 PM

Quote -  Xpleet,

How many metacloud spheres did you use for this? Is most of that texture created from the function editor or is it being created by a bunch of metacloud spheres?

5 Metaclouds, 100-300 spheres in each accordin to Vue.

Mazak, I think this is not quite where I wanna go.

speters1 ( ) posted Thu, 25 September 2008 at 10:23 PM

Xpleet,

I tried loading the material that you had a link for earlier in this thread, but when I do a fairly high res render, I can see a bunch of small circles? The final image I am going to be rendering out is for print and is roughly 11"x17" @ 300dpi. Is there anyway to get that thunderhead look that will still whole up when rendered at a higher resolution?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.