Mon, Sep 16, 10:44 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 16 7:48 pm)

Subject: Messing with meshes request for advice

miikaawaadizi ( ) posted Thu, 16 October 2008 at 5:57 PM · edited Sun, 28 July 2024 at 12:51 AM

I'm trying to figure out ways to "take apart" a hair object, so I'm left with just a ponytail of hair.  I figure I'll find a hair object to decapitate in some free stuff collection, BUT ...

I have no idea how to go about taking it apart.

pjz suggested using mats to hide the scalp part of the hair mesh, but I don't know if the hair I find as a freebie somewhere will be amenable to that, so I'd appreciate any thoughts on alternatives to get the same effect.

The quality of the end result, where the scalp part is detatched (or however this can be done) isn't critical, it'll be reduced in size to be used in banners so it'll likely be a little more forgiving I hope.

DarkEdge ( ) posted Thu, 16 October 2008 at 8:54 PM

If something has uv coordinates then you can create a mask for it which would be applied in the material room, or you may be able to go into the Hierarchy panel and turn off visability.

Comitted to excellence through art.

Whazizname ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2008 at 5:55 AM

You can also assign additional material zones to the hair,if needed; then apply transparency to the zones that you want invisible. {I'm not much of a modeler; but...} You can open/ import the obj in a modeling application (Blender, Carrara, Hex, Modo, ..., ...), and remove the unwanted parts; then simply export the remaining part(s) as an obj, and import it back into Poser. (It will then act as a static prop.) Now, after I've said all that; I think the transparency method s probably easier/ less time-consuming, and you'll still be able to use any movement/ styling morphs that might be present in the hair. (Assuming that it was a conforming figure at first...) Well, I hope that my speculatory rambling was helpful. (:

EnglishBob ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2008 at 6:28 AM

An alternative idea: apply a magnet to the hair, then adjust the magnet zone to cover only the scalp part. Shrink the scalp so that it disappears inside the figure's head. 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.