Sun, Oct 6, 4:41 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Things I should know but don't...

kalon ( ) posted Sat, 25 October 2008 at 12:46 PM · edited Sun, 29 September 2024 at 11:14 AM

Trust me, this could be a continuing series...

The unthinkable (but inevitable) has happened and I ran out of room on my principle Poser drive. That got me to examine the various files and try to practice some belated efficiency. One thing I noticed is that hair conversions tend to be much larger than the original, sometimes three times as large. Converted to three different figures... you begin to see (one of) my problems. So...

Question 1: How do you create hair fit files? I'm guessing that this would work with HR2 or PP2 hair files and CR2 if I'm willing to parent instead of conform?

Question 2: If I have converted a conforming hair (or any other conformer, for that matter), can I use the Hierarchy editor and just delete out unused/unneeded body parts? Er, Lazy Me wants to know if we've missed a utility that can either determine and delete unused body parts or, compare the conversion to the original file and delete body parts not found in the original.

Any help would be appreciated...
Efficient Me & Lazy Me... one mind, many outlooks... same damned problems :tt2:

kalonart.com

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 25 October 2008 at 12:51 PM · edited Sat, 25 October 2008 at 12:51 PM

I don't know the answer to your questions. But I can tell you that file compression within Poser is your friend :)

www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php

Scroll down in the thread for more pictures.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

kalon ( ) posted Sat, 25 October 2008 at 1:26 PM

!
Now why didn't I think of that! Great suggestion!

What, er.... :eye roll: ... Efficient Me still thinks we should learn how to use our files more efficiently. Something about using up all the newly recovered space with multiple instance redundancies...

kalonart.com

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 25 October 2008 at 1:30 PM

Another option, which can actually be used alongside compression to improve it even more, is to "rationalize" the morphs you're working with.  A plain old morph target includes vertex data for every single vertex, even if it is not moved - there is no point in recording vertex delta (change) data if it is all zeroes.  Phil Cooke's Poser Toolbox has a function that does this:
http://www.philc.net/PTB_tutorial4-3.htm

There may be free alternatives out there also.

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 25 October 2008 at 1:32 PM

Quote - Question 2: If I have converted a conforming hair (or any other conformer, for that matter), can I use the Hierarchy editor and just delete out unused/unneeded body parts?

Yes, but a) this probably won't make a big dent in the size of the CR2 even if you have a hundred blank channels in every bodypart (typical DAZ rig) - they take up a lot less space than the morph data itself; and b) you may break the rig of whatever figure you're working with.  If you are super tight for space, you can try deleting empty channels (Poser Toolbox again, or one of Dimension3D's apps like Poser File Editor) but in my experience the space reduction is pretty small.

My Freebies

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.