Sun, Oct 6, 6:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Cloth Simulation issue

Warangel ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 9:03 AM · edited Sat, 27 July 2024 at 10:05 PM

This is a two part issue for a project I really need to get resolved.

I am using Atlantistyle Basile with M3's Privateer.

ISSUE #1

There are morphs included to adjust M3 clothing to fit Basile. These do not seem to work with Privateer. If anyone has any experience with this, please fill me in on how to do it. I have tried contacting the vendor without any response.

ISSUE #2

My solution to issue 1 was to use the cloth simulation. I am starting from a zero pose, and animating to the standing pose I wish at frame 20. The simulation fails at frame 2. I have tried exporting the entire Privateer shirt as an object, and re-importing it, but it has availed no success.

I really just want to get the shirt to fit. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Plutom ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 10:36 AM

First, how long have you been working in Poser (eg started the software several hours ago, then working the menus, switching in and out of the clothing room).  The reason, I'm asking is that random functions in software simply stops working (I call it clogging of the RAM).  You may want to close Poser and reboot your computer and see if that helps.  If that doesn't work then:

Can you give us a little more information.  When you state fails, do you mean freezes or that the figure goes to the frame 20 position, but the clothes remains at frame 2 position.

Is the shirt  all dynamic or does it have some conforming stuff, also, you may NOT want to start from zero pose (after aligning all the clothes to the figure etc), if you start from zero pose the character will snap to zero pose, but the clothing won't.

In simulation settings, you have four cloth collision opitions, cloth vertex against object polygon, object vertex against cloth polygon, object plygon against cloth polygon and cloth self-collision. one of those works better than the rest (depending on who made the clothing). In cloth draping may want at least 10drape frames--Additionally, if you click on calculate drape, the cloths will form around the figure before frame one (that's to check and see if everything is working prior to running the simulation).  Jan 

shuy ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 12:55 PM

I think that Plutom gave you best tip. Restart Poser :)

I do not know privateer shirt and Basile morph, but it happend quite often when I try use conforming clothes as dynamic. 3 days ago I wrote tutorial about conforming clothes from one figure to another but it is still waiting for acceptance.
My advices:

1. Do not export obj from poser. Open privateer shirt cr2 file with text editor, check path to obj in geometries and import mesh. Remember to check "weld identical verticles" when importing.
  2. Use only 1 side clothes. If your shirt is 2 sided, calculating dynamics takes few years and results can be terrible. Better select only 1 side with modeling soft (wings, hexagon) or with Poser grouping tool : /
  3. Do not drape clothes. If you need 30 frames of drape and 20 frames of animation, retime your animation frames from 1-20 to 31-50. At frame 1 set your figure to pose 0 (i.e. with joint editor button "zero pose"). In frame 1 set up body morphs to hide all body inside clothes. No body parts should be visible over shirt surface. Draping from 0 pose do not include morphs.
  4. Dressed figure should have loaded few morphs. If you do not use some morphs remove them from figure or load new M3 without morphs replacing currently used Michael. Inject only important morphs.
  5. Selecting "collide against" uncheck all body parts which do not collide with shirt. Uncheck also all fingers thumbs even if they should collide with clothes. In this case better use "dummy prop" for example box parented to hand.
  6. Check if in animation body parts do not cross each other. Check carefully frame 3. Your animation stops in frame 2 because frame 3 is problem. Most often problems occurs in armpit areas.

Warangel ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 1:35 PM

I have done everything except checking armpits, which is where there is a lot of issue, and checking to see if it's a double sided mesh. I have no experience with modelling really, so editing the mesh in an external program is beyond my means.

I will keep trying solutions, but thank you for the great tips.

shuy ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 2:40 PM

Look here:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2755650
If body parts are posed like Vicky arm calculating dynamic can crash.

I reccomend you downloading Wings. Dl, install take about 5 minutes. After 1 day you are familiar with this programs. Mayby it is too long for modelling 1 shirt but if you are going to make more clothes will be usefull.

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 3:06 PM

To make fit morphs, you probably don't want a full simulation, so add all (or just most) of the vertices to the Constrained group.

Warangel ( ) posted Tue, 18 November 2008 at 10:10 AM

Just wanted to followup on this, as I got it working using some of the tips above.

The key one was not using draping frames, but instead using actual frames to drape the cloth. I followed everything else and was still having issues with this particular simulation.

So, if all else fails, use frames 1-20 to drape your cloth, not the actual draping function.

Thanks for the help.

markschum ( ) posted Tue, 18 November 2008 at 10:55 AM

Ok, this sounds stupid but it does have value.

Restart poser after saving the scene you are working on.
Import the shirt OBJ from the runtime/geometries/xxxxxxx   folder 
  you can get thet from the file list for daz products , shown in the readme
  or open the cr2 in a text editor like wordpad - its near the top
set up and run a 30 frame cloth sim with no collisions specified

The above process will test the item , if the cloth sim fails I would just give up and find another way.

The next test is to select a few points on the shirt collar as choreographed  and run the cloth sim again , that tests if al parts are joined . If the item breaks apart it needs work in a modelling program.

The above process should only take a few minutes to run

Then you can be confident that theres nothing wrong with the item , and any problems are in the figure pose and collision settings.   

I typically reduce the collision depth and offset values , you dont want them too big , and dont be afraid to use a simulation of say 60 frames , a longer sim makes each step smaller , which can be good.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.