Mon, Sep 9, 5:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 04 4:56 pm)

Subject: placing the camera

EagleWing1000 ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2008 at 7:59 PM · edited Fri, 16 August 2024 at 7:51 AM

Hi all. Beginners question for you.

I'm finding it VERY frustrating to place the camera exactly where I want on my geometry, when I click and drag the main camera it's not a smooth motion, it's very jerky.
any reason why?

How do you guys position the camera with accuracy?

Dell XPS M1730
Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 2.6Ghz
500GB (2x 250GB) RAID 1 Sata HDD
4GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTX SLI

MyCat ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2008 at 8:53 PM

I select the camera in the objects pane, which centers it in all three views. I then zoom in as close as needed, and drag it around in the three views just like any other object. I almost never use those clunky camera controls.

jc ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2008 at 9:09 PM · edited Wed, 03 December 2008 at 9:11 PM

I first drag and translate the camera roughly with the usual widgets (in the viewports), just like any other object.

Then I use that camera control (with the horizontal and vertical loops) for smooth fine camera tuning. I also fine-tune with the focal length and use that with large increases (and together with the selection marquee) to examine critical parts of the image with fast sample renders.

It also helps to drag the left edge of the right panel as far to the left as you can, to enlarge the preview window. If you go too far, the preview window pops up to the next level and gets small again. If this happens, just re-size back toward the right a little bit.

Camera adjustment does take significant tweaking. Not sure how it could be improved though.

My tutorial on Vue camera focal length effects may interest you:
www.art-head-start.com/Free/Tutorials/tutorial-focal-length.html

Rutra ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2008 at 11:48 PM

I'm not sure if you might be suffering from what I'm about to write but it's a possibility.
There's some kind of bug in Vue that, sometimes, when you have a selected render area active (button "use render area" on) and you try to drag objects in the other viewports using the gizmos, the drag isn't smooth. This doesn't happen always and I couldn't determine a pattern for it to appear. I've seen it happening in Vue6, in Vue7, under XP32 and under Vista64, with different graphic cards, etc. If I just uncheck the "use render area" button, it becomes smooth again.

EagleWing1000 ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2008 at 12:03 AM

Thanks guys, you helped me there.

Rutra, sorry my problem isn't the one you're having, hope you find the answer.

Dell XPS M1730
Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 2.6Ghz
500GB (2x 250GB) RAID 1 Sata HDD
4GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTX SLI

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.