Mon, Sep 9, 4:54 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 04 4:56 pm)

Subject: Ecosystems in three dimensions

MarkHirst ( ) posted Sun, 11 January 2009 at 3:24 PM · edited Fri, 19 July 2024 at 12:06 PM

Before I get started, I have Vue 6 Pro Studio, so I'm guessing some features for ecosystems may be absent such as ecosystem painting.

I'm trying to create an asteroid field, not the realistic NASA sort, but the classic Millennium Falcon evading the Star Destroyers, Obi-Wan evading Boba Fett kind of field.

I had this idea that I could create a giant transparent slab and then have an ecosystem driven by a 3D function that would populate it throughout, but I'm not getting anywhere.

I saw a ecosystem painting tutorial at GeekAtPlay but I'm not sure it will help, especially with a partially crippled version of Vue.

I am even remotely on the right track?

www.CambrianMoons.com

Rich_Potter ( ) posted Sun, 11 January 2009 at 3:27 PM

just a suggestion, but why not have lots of smaller rectangle slabs in order to create the third dimension too,  should be doable in vue 6 PS but might be a little bit resource intensive perhaps.

Rich.

Rich

http://blog.richard-potter.co.uk

Rutra ( ) posted Sun, 11 January 2009 at 3:40 PM

Geekatplay has a tutorial that simulates a 3D ecosystem. It requires that you have access to the "Density" tab in the ecosystem editor. Do you? The feature you need is the "Offset from surface". You should see a slider there with a small lightning that would take you to the advanced function editor. If you can see all this in your Vue, then you can do it.

If not, you can use the "Scatter and replicate" tool. It's not an ecosystem based tool and it does not create instances, it creates new objects. This means it's much more memory intensive than an ecosystem. Anyway, if you don't exagerate in the number of objects and if you have enough memory in your computer, you should be ok (Vue rocks are fairly low-poly).

silverblade33 ( ) posted Sun, 11 January 2009 at 5:51 PM

actually made tutorial on this other week, though I used a specially made "base" object, a partial ring, to let me make a specific look of an asteroid ring around a planet
you cna use a terrain instead as the base object, stretched out suitably for camera ;)

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/tutorials/htm/37.html

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

Thelby ( ) posted Sun, 11 January 2009 at 10:15 PM

Quote - Geekatplay has a tutorial that simulates a 3D ecosystem. It requires that you have access to the "Density" tab in the ecosystem editor. Do you? The feature you need is the "Offset from surface". You should see a slider there with a small lightning that would take you to the advanced function editor. If you can see all this in your Vue, then you can do it.

Yes, Vue 6 Pro Studio has the Density function and the Vid Tut at Geek will work fine in V6PS.

I would rather be Politically Incorrect,
Then have Politically Correct-Incorrectness!!!

MarkHirst ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 2:25 AM

Thanks for the info, I shall look at your tutorial Silverblade!!

www.CambrianMoons.com

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.