Thu, Sep 19, 8:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 3:46 am)

Subject: Animating Displacement

SimonWM ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 10:26 AM · edited Tue, 30 July 2024 at 7:50 AM

I want to control my displacement animation but cannot find the animated curves, does Poser gives you this option or is this a shot in the dark like hand grasp animation?

SimonWM ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 10:29 AM

Nevermind I found it! Poser rocks!!!

ockham ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 12:01 PM

I think you're onto something.  Animating displacement is a relatively
undiscovered trick with tremendous power.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 2:21 PM

with animated dispalcement map you could do muscle flexing. or for example veins when you flex the biceps for example. but it would be a lot of work IMO.

ockham ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 4:04 PM

Yup, animated displacement can take over many of the functions served
by morphs or even joints.  Flowing water, rolling tank treads......

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

nruddock ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 4:52 PM

Attached Link: http://poserpros.daz3d.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=300364&highlight=#300364

Animated displacement should certainly be better for some effects than morphs would be. The main limitation being that dispalcement can only move the surface along the (original) normal.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 3:02 AM

There is a nice tutorial (for lightwave) on the deformation of a tyre when rolling along the ground using just displacements in 3DWorld magazine this month, i dont know if this is possible in Poser as the shader is told to respond to where the tyre connects to the ground whilst rotating and effect that area only,impressive stuff

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

ockham ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 3:53 PM · edited Sat, 31 January 2009 at 3:55 PM

file_423070.jpg

Interesting idea.  If the tire is UVmapped properly, it should be possible to do this with a single map.  You'd have a static bump map of the tread itself, then blend it with a negative displacement map.  Animation would simply move the U offset of the negative displacement.

A python script would then determine which part of the tire is currently down,
and adjust the U offset accordingly.  (This would require a pre-measured
correlation between the offset and the rotation angle of the wheel.)

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

ockham ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 3:59 PM

Sorry, "Pre-measured correlation" is overly fancy talk.  What you'd do is set the U offset
to zero, turn the tire until the dent is down, then look at the rotation.   Take this
number and write it into the script as the starting point.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

msg24_7 ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2009 at 5:23 AM

Quote - ...A python script would then determine which part of the tire is currently down,
and adjust the U offset accordingly.  (This would require a pre-measured
correlation between the offset and the rotation angle of the wheel.)

It should be possible to control the U offset using the rotation value of the tire or the wheel. 
The math could be done within the "morph" or in the material room.
I don't know the math, but I am quite sure it can be done.

Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present.

svdl ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2009 at 7:33 AM

It could be done in a .cr2 or .pp2 by using ERC.
Once the displacement is animated, it turns up as a dial on the properties palette, and I suspect that saving the prop or figure to the library then will include the displacement parameter - which then can be slaved to the rotation of the wheel.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.