Mon, Sep 9, 4:53 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 04 4:56 pm)

Subject: Too Much Noise

MarkHirst ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2009 at 3:33 PM · edited Tue, 03 September 2024 at 8:56 AM

I've noticed that in rendering pictures with high levels of ambient light, say with HDRI based lighting, that noise can be become problematic.

I've tried experimenting with more anti-aliasing, increasing the quality slider in the atmosphere editor, and upping the advanced effects quality slider in render options.

So many articles discussing render settings are about how low you can go and get away with it, whereas I think I'm looking for which setting gets me the cheapest increase in quality by turning it up.

As always, I have to caveat the question by pointing out I'm using Vue 6 Pro Studio.

www.CambrianMoons.com

silverblade33 ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2009 at 5:06 PM

Much less noise in Vue7 I must say.

noise is best defeated by improving the render settings, so go to user settings, edit it, and then...you're in the arms of the gods ;) everyone has their own faves, me I don't care about render speed so much as quality

I'd recommend small renders, with no radiosity, just standard light, and see what you like, by increasing the max # of rays or texels, or quality.
higher settings DO have a big impact especially on large complex renders, render times become slow, but can look a hell of a lot better.

but, just ramping up numbers doens't always = better by huge amount.

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

chrispoole ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2009 at 5:23 PM

Hi Mark,

I've done quite a few HDRI renders and some turned out very well, I'm not sure of the differences between Vue 6 Pro Studio and Vue 6 Infinite, but I could send you some screen shots if that would help.

Chris

bruno021 ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2009 at 5:57 PM

I'm surprised you're getting noise with HDR lighting. Do you use radiosity? Maybe you could post a screengrab....

silverblade33 ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2009 at 6:08 PM

file_423473.jpg

Bruno only time I've seen noise in HDR, iirc, was doing a "studio render", ie, deleting the HDR, pushing the exposure ot maximum, so it's all white? Maybe I had a light in it too *shrug* :)

doing some tests for this :)

ok this image
took 4 minutes to render on SUperior, notice, even with superior sitll get noise

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

silverblade33 ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2009 at 6:10 PM

file_423474.jpg

Same scene, but I edited the User Settings for the render, pushed the Quality all way to 100% on the left hand slider in the pop up window MUCH better, but took 10 minutes to render!

bruno021 ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2009 at 2:32 AM

Ok, Steven, but the noise I see in your first render comes from the soft shadows of a Vue light, I think, they are not produced by using an HDR, or am I completely wrong?

MarkHirst ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2009 at 2:37 AM

file_423512.jpg

Some helpful thoughts there, thank you.

Normally, I would have cranked up most settings and waited, but as always, it's those Lazloi reflective ships that throw a spanner in the works.

I was not using radiosity, so perhaps I should move up to Global Radiosity.

I've attached the section showing the 'pock-marks' on the characters face.

www.CambrianMoons.com

bruno021 ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2009 at 2:52 AM

Oh, Ok I see better now. This looks to be quite a low quality render, what are your settings? Final? And yes, I think this comes from the ambient lighting. In this case, I would crank up the GI slider to +1, or add a small point light to light up the face, and move the ambient/sunlight slider a bit over the sun (even if there is no sun, this will allow Vue to take the light coming from the point light to be used in the lighting solution) And I'd recommend radiosity for this.

MarkHirst ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2009 at 6:09 AM · edited Thu, 05 February 2009 at 6:10 AM

User settings

46% Quality in the render options

0 quality in the lighting tab

Global Occlusion

8 - 12 anti-alias with 100% quality

I've restarted the render with Global Radiosity, 12-24 anti-alias

www.CambrianMoons.com

Thelby ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2009 at 7:08 AM

I run Vue 6 Pro Studio also Mark and when I use HDRI I turn the Fog and Haze from Very Low to Completely off.
Render setting quality 70%. Some will say that is too high, but I don't mind 50 hour + renders. I also use a 30% to 70% or 20% to 80% Sunlight to Ambience or somwhere in between. That way I can more control the soft shadows. I never use more than 8 to 16 sub rays and 95% Quality there.

I would rather be Politically Incorrect,
Then have Politically Correct-Incorrectness!!!

MarkHirst ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2009 at 7:22 AM

Thanks Thelby,

I might abort the new render and try some of those settings.

www.CambrianMoons.com

MarkHirst ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2009 at 3:25 PM

file_423547.jpg

After switching to Global Radiosity and revisiting the import of the Poser figure, particularly around textures, I've seen some improvement.

Interesting to compare 46% versus 60% on the advanced quality settings slider.

www.CambrianMoons.com

silverblade33 ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2009 at 4:57 PM

Bruno
aye that was just spectral sun, to show soft light noise :)

mark
hair from Poser is improved by adding bump, I link the colour channel to bump maybe -.01 strength , and setting highlights to white, maybe 30 30% for strrngth, move anisotropic slider all way to the right :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.