Sun, Sep 15, 11:54 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 7:30 pm)

Subject: PythonScript to turn off AO pre-applied by vendors ?

Gini ( ) posted Fri, 06 February 2009 at 1:14 PM · edited Sat, 31 August 2024 at 4:36 PM

I am using Rdna's RenderStudio AO function and am wondering if someone has maybe made a script that turns off any AO that has been pre-applied by the maker/vendor of a model on its materials so that when I run the RS AO script the AO for that material won't get multiplied by the one on top of the other.
As I don't always keep read-me s and don't wish to spend the time manually checking through the material room for AO on materials I just thought a script like this would come in pretty handy... if it exists .

(Mac 10.5 PoserPro)

" Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."
-Monty Python

semidieu ( ) posted Fri, 06 February 2009 at 1:58 PM

It should be possible... Now, the main problem is when there is something more attached to this node. It can have an unwanted result.

I'll take a look.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 06 February 2009 at 2:38 PM

Basil,

Whatever it goes to, it's expecting WHITE or 1.0 when no AO is produced. This would be the value anyway if you simply delete the AO node.

As for something plugged INTO the AO node, I've never seen that done and I bet it wouldn't matter, since all it could do is define how the AO node behaves. After deleting it, it behaves like 1.0

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 06 February 2009 at 2:39 PM

Except for dirty shaders, of course.

You would totally make them useless if you remove the AO. In that case, they are being used for crevice detection, not to make shadows.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Morkonan ( ) posted Fri, 06 February 2009 at 4:03 PM

Quote - I am using Rdna's RenderStudio AO function and am wondering if someone has maybe made a script that turns off any AO that has been pre-applied by the maker/vendor of a model on its materials so that when I run the RS AO script the AO for that material won't get multiplied by the one on top of the other.
As I don't always keep read-me s and don't wish to spend the time manually checking through the material room for AO on materials I just thought a script like this would come in pretty handy... if it exists .

(Mac 10.5 PoserPro)

FaceOff's Occlusion Master does this and works on anything.  You can set up AO however you want it in one panel, have default settings, choose all on/all off or uncheck certain regions if you wish, etc..  It's a Wacro script.

Gini ( ) posted Sat, 07 February 2009 at 4:03 AM

Karibou, at Rdna, has just posted a script she kindly made to do this in response to my also asking there .
It was her RenderStudio tute that prompted this query on my part and now she has added links to the script in the RenderStudio forum where the tute is !

" Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."
-Monty Python

karibousboutique ( ) posted Sat, 07 February 2009 at 9:58 AM

Gini,
Semidieu is correct -- there would be an issue if there was something else attached to the node.  My little python just looks at all the material nodes on an object and deletes them if they are AO nodes.  If there were other things attached to the node, they would be disconnected.  In most cases, this would be sufficient, but if there was something more complex, you might be un-plugging other nodes that you wouldn't want to unplug.   If someone can come up with something better, please feel free! 

Kari  :)

Intel Core i7-8700 6-Core 3.2 GHz (4.6 GHz Turbo), 32GB RAM, two GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GPUs

DS 4.10, Photoshop CC and CS6, Poser 11 Pro, Vue 2016, CarraraPro 64bit, Autodesk Inventor, Mudbox, and 3DS Max

One in 68 children is diagnosed with autism.  One is mine.

semidieu ( ) posted Fri, 13 February 2009 at 2:59 AM

What could be possible is the script that will remove the AO nodes... and if there is something connected there, it will ask if you want to delete or not.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.