Sat, Oct 5, 6:16 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 26 4:27 pm)

Subject: CPU and Graphics

thlayli2003 ( ) posted Thu, 05 March 2009 at 12:50 PM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 6:12 AM

Just about to get a new machine, but had a few things that need clarifying.

I have VUE7i. 
Is rendering still handled by the CPU only?  Looking to get i7 920. 
Do any of you have experience with dual graphics?  Does it make a difference with VUE?   Looking at single or dual ATI 4870.  Any suggestions for graphics cards?

This is a sizable purchase and I've just about made up my mind. 

There are many articles about gaming rigs, but few about 3d animation rigs.  I assume they would be similar, but still am not sure.

Thanks for any advice.

Rich_Potter ( ) posted Thu, 05 March 2009 at 1:08 PM

personally i find dual gfx cards to be more hassle than its worth for a number of reasons.

1 - the temperature in the case is increased as there is less airflow as the gfx cards are close together,

2 - The increase in performance i found was minimal

3- Finding drivers that actually work is difficult

4 - the cost is doubled (obviously)

5 - you are limited to one monitor, unless you are willing to mess about with driver coding

i would also steer clear from ati cards particularly with an intel chipset.

ive said it in a different thread too, but if you are buying a i7, be aware that there is a new chip called nehalem which is due for release in the first quarter of this year so i7 prices should (theoreitcally drop)

hope this helps.

Rich

http://blog.richard-potter.co.uk

Rutra ( ) posted Thu, 05 March 2009 at 1:16 PM

Vue uses graphic cards for opengl preview only, not for rendering. For rendering, it only uses CPU (and RAM). So, if you have a very good graphic card, the only difference is that you have a very good and fast preview, nothing else. It's good for precise positioning elements on a scene, for example, but you can have an average graphic card for that, you don't need a high-end one nor a dual one.

I'm not sure about differences between rigs for 3D apps or gaming (I'm not into gaming myself) but I would say they're not similar because games typically use the graphic card intensively, Vue doesn't. I don't know about other differences.

Miska7 ( ) posted Thu, 05 March 2009 at 4:59 PM

I just upgraded to an i7 a month or so ago. I would agree with the others and worry more about ram. I would suggest a 64 bit OS also, i got Vista 64 bit and after getting used to it, i like it. I would suggest atleast 6GB of ram, especially if you use poser characters. I have 6 and have ordered 6 more. Just my 2 cents worth.

Rich_Potter ( ) posted Thu, 05 March 2009 at 5:03 PM

if your going with an i7 go tri channel RAM too :) i think all the i7 boards are ddr3 but if not avoid DDR2 RAM as its the older spec stuff.

take care when ordering your board what speeds your mobo can acheive on RAM coz its a pain in the arse when you get faster RAM than your board can handle.

Rich

http://blog.richard-potter.co.uk

ashley9803 ( ) posted Thu, 05 March 2009 at 7:57 PM

i7 processors will only perform optimally with ddr3 moduals in sets of 3 (or 6 etc).
The motherboard has three or six memory slots, and the DIMMs will have to be installed in sets of three if you want optimal performance ot of i7.

thlayli2003 ( ) posted Fri, 06 March 2009 at 1:20 AM

Thank you all for your info and advice.  I will look into just a good single graphics card.  6 or 12gig of RAM is still to be decided on. 

I have some project ideas that involve 1000's of objects and just want this system to work good enough to achieve what I want.  

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.