Mon, Sep 9, 4:58 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: What do you use to back up?

MeInOhio ( ) posted Sun, 15 March 2009 at 8:57 PM ยท edited Tue, 06 August 2024 at 10:02 PM

Do you just make a copy of your runtimes to an external drive? Or do you use a particular software?

I have Ghost 14. Can't say that I'm crazy about it. The first time I installed it, it said there was an update, but then the update failed and it had uninstalled the version I had just installed so I had to reinstall. Fast forward to now. I had some problems with my new pc and they set it back to factory. This time I install and I read that the way to get the update to work is to leave the disk in the dvd drive. I do. It works. I think all is OKย until I try to use my DVD burner. I don't have one anymore. The drivers won't load. I rip out Ghost. Still no burners. I find on the internet how to got into the registry and delete some upper and lower filters. That fixes it. So now I don't think I want to install Ghost again. That was a waste of $70. Besides, it takes over 3 hrs to do a restore. It has to verify all the files first. What happens if something doesn't verify. Used to be you'd be up and running in an hour with a Ghost image. This is progress?

So is there anything better?

I think I've changed my thinking on backups anyway. I think it's easier to just to a restore and then reinstall my main programs...just as long as I don't have to re-install all those Poser files.

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Sun, 15 March 2009 at 9:06 PM

I use True Image by Acronis ... much better than Ghost (and I used to be a devout Ghost user) and doesn't take up near the resources.

As for backing up ... I back up my system disk and my registry and that's about it since everything else resides in partitions that aren't targeted by hackers.ย  I do have a current backup of my external runtimes but I only do that once a month and then it's only a differential backup.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

geep ( ) posted Sun, 15 March 2009 at 9:39 PM ยท edited Sun, 15 March 2009 at 9:43 PM

Attached Link: Back up Software.

Check out the link. Super easy to use. FREE 30 day trial.ย  Can't beat that. :biggrin: It's on sale right now for only $30. (save $10) ๐Ÿ‘ Works in the background and is totally automatic. I love it. ๐Ÿ˜„

BTW -This s/w comes free with purchase a WD external HDD, e.g. My Book, etc.
(prices are reasonable for 160GB to 1TB typical)

And, no, I do not get a commision on either the h/w or s/w. :sad:

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

markschum ( ) posted Sun, 15 March 2009 at 9:47 PM

I dont back up the runtimes , I back up the product installers.ย ย ย 

Laylah ( ) posted Mon, 16 March 2009 at 6:45 AM

I back up runtimes and installers onto a external hard drive... got several MyBook drives full of poser things.

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 16 March 2009 at 7:20 AM

I copy the zip files (I guess that would be the installers...;)ย onto CD-Rs.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 16 March 2009 at 7:43 AM

Backup?????

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Mon, 16 March 2009 at 8:35 AM

My external runtimes are all on an external hard drive and the installers go into the backup just in case.ย  I have 38 DVD +r's filled with installers, as well.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

MeInOhio ( ) posted Mon, 16 March 2009 at 7:04 PM

Thanks. I have a MyBook external drive. I saw the installer files but I wasn't sure what they were for since it seemed to install without me doing anything but plug it in.

geep ( ) posted Mon, 16 March 2009 at 7:17 PM

If you have a "MyBook" HDD externalย  ...

Look in:

J:WD_Windows_ToolsWDABackup ... and look for ..."Setup.exe" (<--- (then "Run")
(J: or whatever Drive letter you have)

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

cspear ( ) posted Wed, 18 March 2009 at 7:56 AM

I have all my 3D assets on a fairly large mirrored RAID setup... this after a HD died and I had to reinstall everything.

Seriously, HDs are so cheap these days, you can set up a 1 Terabyte RAID system (which uses 2 x 1 TB drives) for a couple of hundred pounds / dollars / euros.

My RAID is 'only' 750Gb and with all the 3D crap I've accumulated and created over the last 10 years it's only 60% full.

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Wed, 18 March 2009 at 8:54 AM ยท edited Wed, 18 March 2009 at 8:59 AM

Quote - If you have a "MyBook" HDD externalย  ...

Look in:

J:WD_Windows_ToolsWDABackup ... and look for ..."Setup.exe" (<--- (then "Run")
(J: or whatever Drive letter you have)

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

I have a Mybook (J:) and couldn't find this. It automatically went to my runtime/things I've saved on that drive. I went to Computer>>>>>>My Book (J:). No setup .exe.

I did, however, find the backup when I right clicked on properties>>>>>Tools>>>>>Backup.

Thanks for alerting us of this. ๐Ÿ˜„

SeanMartin ( ) posted Wed, 18 March 2009 at 1:00 PM

Quote - I dont back up the runtimes , I back up the product installers.ย ย ย 

On the Mac side, that can be very dangerous, considering some places (that shall remain nameless) use installers for some of their products that do not work with OSX4 or OSX5.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

eyeorderchaos ( ) posted Thu, 19 March 2009 at 7:03 PM

runtimes, to external drives.

DarkEdge ( ) posted Thu, 19 March 2009 at 8:05 PM

With my right hand I grab the lever on my steering wheel and move it to R.

๐Ÿ˜„

Comitted to excellence through art.

Believable3D ( ) posted Thu, 19 March 2009 at 9:32 PM

Sick. I was just gonna come to this thread and say "reverse," and then I noticed DarkEdge's post.

I was just using an external hard drive (MyBook). Unfortunately, I had a nasty virus a little while back and I can't get into the drive anymore.ย  :-

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

geep ( ) posted Thu, 19 March 2009 at 9:44 PM ยท edited Thu, 19 March 2009 at 9:44 PM

Quote - Sick. I was just gonna come to this thread and say "reverse," and then I noticed DarkEdge's post.

I was just using an external hard drive (MyBook). Unfortunately, I had a nasty virus a little while back and I can't get into the drive anymore.ย  :-

Have you tried using a large crowbar? :b_funny: Sorry, couldn't resist.

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Believable3D ( ) posted Thu, 19 March 2009 at 10:01 PM

No, just a sledgehammer. :)

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

DarkEdge ( ) posted Thu, 19 March 2009 at 10:35 PM

I have found that a sledgehammer makes most peps back up a little...

...that and my 220 lbs. :biggrin:

geep ( ) posted Thu, 19 March 2009 at 10:44 PM

Hey Dark,

Workin' on it but had some delays today so it will be awhile longer.ย  Sorry 'bout that. :sad:

cheers,
dg
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

DarkEdge ( ) posted Thu, 19 March 2009 at 10:52 PM

Haven't given it a second thought Doc...it's in very capable hands. ๐Ÿ˜‰

geep ( ) posted Thu, 19 March 2009 at 10:55 PM

Thnx ............ Overall, it looks excellante ! ๐Ÿ‘

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.