Thu, Oct 24, 11:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: How can I Photograph Fox Fire

tuneup ( ) posted Tue, 12 May 2009 at 9:13 PM · edited Thu, 24 October 2024 at 11:25 AM

How can I photograph      Fox Fire

Tuneup

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Tue, 12 May 2009 at 11:00 PM
scoleman123 ( ) posted Wed, 13 May 2009 at 9:17 AM

..... uh.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxfire_(bioluminescence)?

facebook.com/scoleman123

Onslow ( ) posted Wed, 13 May 2009 at 11:41 AM

I didn't know what it was either - a google search reveals this though.

http://www.treknature.com/gallery/North_America/United_States/photo154501.htm

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

TomDart ( ) posted Wed, 13 May 2009 at 7:03 PM · edited Wed, 13 May 2009 at 7:08 PM

Oh, I know about foxfire, the luminous greenish yellow glow given off by some decaying wood, for instance.  We had a cabin neighbor years ago who found some on his land one night and ran the rest of us off.  He thought he had uncovered a uranium deposit.     Yikes, it he had and it was glowing we were already too late! 

I suggest tripod, quite dark ambient and long exposure.   You could experiment with some glow in the dark toy then go for the foxfire or just shoot the foxfire as long as you can.  Too much exposure (to air possibly) it seems and this stuff looses its fire..   Sorry, not very specific  but I would have to experiment with it myself.  It will be like photos of dim lightning bugs sitting still.   Best results wished!

Please post any results and perhaps then some can offer better advice.        TomDart.      Hummm..I see you are from Tennessee, also.

tuneup ( ) posted Wed, 13 May 2009 at 8:02 PM · edited Wed, 13 May 2009 at 8:05 PM

**Onslow ,  thanks for the link.I been fascinated by foxfire for years

Found some when I was young, went back home got a flashlight

went back to the very spot put the light on it to see what it was and it was gone

honetly was kinda frightened by it at first. I was only about 10 years old at the time

Fascinating stuff

Tuneup

TomDart ( ) posted Wed, 13 May 2009 at 8:43 PM

tuneup, the first I saw also scared me a bit, it scared the bunch of us youngsters.  I mean, open the ground and it glowing...spooky and alien seeming to us then.  I haven't seen foxfire in years.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 15 May 2009 at 10:37 AM

Attached Link: Foxfire: Bioluminescent Fungi

Love to see some shots if you manage to capture your willow-the-wisp! :']

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

TomDart ( ) posted Fri, 15 May 2009 at 5:49 PM

I have stood in the surf out on the point at Hatteras Lighthouse, Outer Banks, NC.  Dark with only stars in the sky, the very waves show luminescence in critters or plants  in the turning water. The color is much like that of foxfire.  Both the glowing surf and foxfire are facinating.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.