Mon, Sep 16, 12:00 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 14 4:17 pm)

Subject: Blur Transparencies - How?

dburdick ( ) posted Wed, 03 June 2009 at 12:19 PM · edited Tue, 02 July 2024 at 3:02 PM

I've been trying to figure out how to use Blurred Transparencies in Vue, but I've been unable to get it to work.  Has anybody used this functionality in Vue?  As a test case, I used a simple plane with an alpha map of a simple circle.  I've done all of the following and nothing seems to work:

1. changing the transparency blur setting from 0 to 2 to 100
  2. changing the render settings from hybrid to ray traced blur
  3. changing the blur filter on the trasparency tab
  4. changing the blur function using a fractal
  5. Turning interpolation on and off

Any ideas?

bruno021 ( ) posted Wed, 03 June 2009 at 1:17 PM

Do you mean the blurring  filter when using a variable transparency function? Neither do I. Never seen it doing anything.

Rutra ( ) posted Wed, 03 June 2009 at 2:40 PM · edited Wed, 03 June 2009 at 2:41 PM

file_432273.jpg

I'm not sure if I understand what you are talking about. Is it the normal blur transparency slider in the transparency tab? Bruno is talking of something else, I think. If it's the blur transparency slider, you have to use a refraction index diferent than 1 for the blur to do something. See the image.

dburdick ( ) posted Wed, 03 June 2009 at 3:20 PM

Yes, I'm talking about the blur transparency slider on the transparency tab.  Okay Rutra, I see from your example that I need to adjust the refraction index in order for the blur to hve some effect.  I was hoping that the blur would just perform a straight gaussian type blur of the alpha edges.  Too much wishful thinking on my part I guess.

Rutra ( ) posted Wed, 03 June 2009 at 3:24 PM

Well, you can always use a refraction index of 1.000001 or similar. The refraction won't be noticeable but the blur will.

bruno021 ( ) posted Wed, 03 June 2009 at 3:38 PM

For alpha edges, I tried the blurring filter next to the variable transparency function ( I was kind of sure you were looking after this effect), but it doesn't do anything. maybe add some invisible refraction as Artur suggests, and maybe it'll work? Never tried it this way.

Rutra ( ) posted Wed, 03 June 2009 at 4:13 PM

file_432280.jpg

The blurring filter works but it has nothing to do with the edges of the object (as the transparency filter also has nothing to do with it). I probably didn't understand what you wrote. See example, there are areas with blur and areas without. I will post soon the transparency tab settings.

Rutra ( ) posted Wed, 03 June 2009 at 4:13 PM

file_432281.jpg

Rutra ( ) posted Wed, 03 June 2009 at 4:15 PM

In my example I flattened the transparency filter because I wanted to see only the effect of the blur filter.

Rutra ( ) posted Wed, 03 June 2009 at 4:15 PM

Oh, and yes, the refraction index is 1.00001.

bruno021 ( ) posted Wed, 03 June 2009 at 4:37 PM

Thanks, Artur, you solved a Vue mystery for me!

Rutra ( ) posted Wed, 03 June 2009 at 4:51 PM

You're welcome. :-)

dburdick ( ) posted Wed, 03 June 2009 at 9:24 PM

Yes, thanks Artur that explains it quite nicely.  I was hoping to see if there was a way to blur leaf transparencies for mid-range/distant renders without having to build a blurred leaf alpha bitmap.  Back to the drawing board.

gillbrooks ( ) posted Thu, 04 June 2009 at 3:25 AM

I'm a bit confused on that Dave.  Wouldn't a blurred alpha give whitey-grey edges instead of soft ones ?

Gill

bruno021 ( ) posted Thu, 04 June 2009 at 3:04 PM

Think it would make for a fuzzy mix of leaf mat and transparency. Not worse than an up close shot of a coconut tree, lol!

gillbrooks ( ) posted Thu, 04 June 2009 at 6:33 PM

:b_rolleyes:

Gill

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.