Wed, Sep 18, 11:39 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Can anyone suggest how to do white sprays of a surf kind wave....

zorzim ( ) posted Tue, 21 July 2009 at 7:37 PM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 3:49 AM

file_435063.jpg

... witouth ending up with a 2d editing program as solution ... ?

the image source was this, after a real ocean wave (wow...)

http://cid-c317d66d54b296f5.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.res/C317D66D54B296F5!731/C317D66D54B296F5!750

And if I understand how I will give here the first render of mine. I am already trying to do a better. slighlty bigger render, tilted as the original picture.

Thanx to all the Brycers that come this way...  even to say hello !

AnnieD ( ) posted Tue, 21 July 2009 at 8:38 PM

Try this tute....its very good.

The Raging Sea

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

50parsecs ( ) posted Wed, 22 July 2009 at 1:19 AM

Yeah, Zhann's tutorial is a great start to simulating waves and ocean water in Bryce. You can use the foiliage of a Bryce tree for spray too. Just make the trunk transparent and fine-tune the material for the leaves/spray.

johnyf ( ) posted Wed, 22 July 2009 at 1:40 AM

Attached Link: Skiwillgee's Wave

Skiwillgee made an excellent wave just like this!

50parsecs ( ) posted Wed, 22 July 2009 at 1:56 AM

Yeah, I forgot! Skiwillgee does great water, and his crashing wave is the most impressive I've seen in Bryce so far. Sometimes heretical apps can come in handy too.

zorzim ( ) posted Wed, 22 July 2009 at 2:47 AM · edited Wed, 22 July 2009 at 2:48 AM

The answer seems to be lots of whittie terrains.... I dunno.  I like the White Bryce Trees options. I will try it for sure.

Bryster Bryster where did u go ? If u are there knock one hit...

zorzim ( ) posted Wed, 22 July 2009 at 10:38 AM · edited Wed, 22 July 2009 at 10:38 AM

file_435087.jpg

Still working on the white foliage as 50parsecs suggested. In the meantime, I've playing around 2d way, enhancing the contrast and whiting layers of  cloned and "tattered" parts of the  wave. Please tell me what u think ...

skiwillgee ( ) posted Wed, 22 July 2009 at 9:52 PM

Try this.  Duplicate the wave you have.  Use a volumetric "puffy cloud" mat on the duplicated wave.  Add a sand bump to the cloud terrain.  Play around with the cloud density and resizing/moving the duplicated shape so some of it is poking out of the original thus exposing the "foam".

This is basically the method described in Zhann's tut.

I am curious.  How did you model the shape of the wave.  Booleaned cylindrs or metaballs?

zorzim ( ) posted Thu, 23 July 2009 at 2:54 AM · edited Thu, 23 July 2009 at 3:08 AM

file_435127.jpg

Thanx skiwillgee, that's the DTE expert, isn't you ?  I wander in the DTE dialog from time to time and  I' ve plenty of good time messing around with it !

Did you left any tut on the web on "the misteries" of DTE in Bryce... ?

Also the Plenty of Ocean Waves guy...  ;)  You must  the one I was looking for. Compliments for that renders. Bravissimo ! 

Yes, I will try to duplicate part of the cloud and do the cloudy thing... thanx.

The foliage tecnique didn't go well BTW... too render intensive, too lousy the results, sorry.

Hence you're curious, here's a screen grab of what I began...   Lightwave modeler, extruding twelve  squared polygons from the plane, and "whirled" the extrusion.  I added some noise to the geometry with the jitter function, and I stirred the mesh with the magnet tool here and there.

I am not sure that that kind of wave could be accomplished using only Bryce terains/lattices, I simply had this solution pop up in mind one morning and go for it.  I was waiting the right inspiration to replicate the wave I've seen, and sometimes the best things are the simpler.

skiwillgee ( ) posted Thu, 23 July 2009 at 12:31 PM

I am not DTE expert.  That would be AgentSmith.

No I did not do any tutorials on DTE.   I am just a hobbyist. 

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2752340

The URL is of the original thread to the wave challenge.  I posted the wire frame of the wave I made in Wings3d there.  It appears we took the same route to go outside of Bryce to create the basic model because compound/complex curves are necessary in a wave model.

zorzim ( ) posted Thu, 23 July 2009 at 12:51 PM · edited Thu, 23 July 2009 at 12:56 PM

Oops, pardon  skiwillgee...  well somebody could shed a light or two on the DTE editor someday.

Me too am an hobbyst...  BTW. That's the breeze, to enjoy a thing without pressures.

Your work was and it is outstanding . This theme was on the tip of my tongue, just waiting for the right input to start. I LOVE sea scene with waves.

After a while I realized the mesh of the foam has to be more dense. I loaded into Zbrush, I subdivided the wave, and tweaked the geometry a lot to get it done the way I wanted.

It is rendering now, I post it as soon as possible. Probably somebody could do better, but I enjoyed it terribly, so far.

skiwillgee ( ) posted Thu, 23 July 2009 at 4:07 PM

I am not being stingy.  I will gladly share anything I can about my images, but I don't have a web site to put downloads upon.  I can email the entire scene file to anyone who wishes to dismantle it.  The file is 77 megs zipped.

Can someone here tell me how to copy a material file from an image to a folder for sharing it.

zorzim ( ) posted Fri, 24 July 2009 at 6:25 AM

file_435187.jpg

Here's the result of my changes.

There's still work to do on the foam, don't you think ? I applied the Ocean Foam material to the whitish part of it.

zorzim ( ) posted Fri, 24 July 2009 at 1:39 PM

To skillwillgee:

I will definely be happy to look at some materials, foam, waters whatever you got on that superb scenes.

Can I drop u a sitemail with my address ?  Nothing too large, say up to 2  Mb, but it will suffice for mats and unmapped objects.

Here seems a lot of people get free online space at

www.sharecg.com

I had a Bryce 4 site around 1999 , at nbci.  Well, certain files weighted up to 10 Mb, entire Bryce 4 scenes. There were Gerry Anderson's models stuff  (Space 1999 stuff and UFO models, the S.H.A.D.O. Moonbase... !), and a Clint Eastwood's Firefox plane, all made by me..  eventually one day the site disappeared overnight, they sent me a mail informing me that they wanted to do what they want with their free space.  This pissed me off, as you can imagiine. I realized the thing must'nt have enough hits for their tastes...

Probably if I collect the time to do it again here, will utilize sharecg.com HD space, but I don't think will exceed  4 or 5 MB  per file.

zorzim ( ) posted Tue, 28 July 2009 at 6:16 AM

There it is.
I made up minor change in the foam materials (adding an alpha gradient to smooth the whiting),

and you can see it in the gallery here:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1922728

Many thanks to skiwillgee50parsecs and AnnieD  for their support.

50parsecs ( ) posted Tue, 28 July 2009 at 2:40 PM

"It seems someone removed that image".

zorzim ( ) posted Tue, 28 July 2009 at 5:25 PM

Sorry 50 parsec.

Try here:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1922304

I dunno how but I uplloaded the same render twice, so I had to erase one of the two....

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.