Wed, Sep 18, 6:57 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 6:30 pm)

Subject: Poser 7 to Poser 8 - Questions

White Raven ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 4:53 PM · edited Fri, 19 July 2024 at 3:56 PM

I purchased Poser 8, and have a question - can I copy all my directories (with their sub-directories) from Poser 7 Runtime to Poser 8 Runtime and have them work properly?
 Also, can I move Alyson from her directory to my Runtime/Females directory?
 And last but not least - can I just copy all my Python scripts from Poser 7's Python directory to Poser 8's Python directory?
 One last thing - when I have Poser 8 all set up, can I uninstall Poser 7 to save space?

Thank you for reading and thank you in advance,
 White Raven

Dead_Reckoning ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:29 PM

Quote -  I purchased Poser 8, and have a question - can I copy all my directories (with their sub-directories) from Poser 7 Runtime to Poser 8 Runtime and have them work properly?
 Also, can I move Alyson from her directory to my Runtime/Females directory?
 And last but not least - can I just copy all my Python scripts from Poser 7's Python directory to Poser 8's Python directory?
 One last thing - when I have Poser 8 all set up, can I uninstall Poser 7 to save space?

Thank you for reading and thank you in advance,
 White Raven

Why do you wantneed to copy all of the P7 runtimedirectories to P8?
Why not simply make "External Runtimes", (Links) to your present P7 runtime and directories?
I have some 50+ External runtimes, all the way back to Poser 4, and they work fine in Poser 8.
In Poser 8, you can Show One, All, None and it works fine.
You chould be albe to copy & past your python and most of them work. Make sure you copy them from where they are now in P7 to the same location in P8.

Poser 8 isn't dependent on Poser 7, so "IF" you fell the need to uninstall 7, that's your choice.

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
Thomas Jefferson

White Raven ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 5:35 PM

Thank you, mariner! I was trying to get everything into my laboriously organized original Runtime, but maybe all that moving stuff around won't be necessary. Thank you again for your quick reply! :)

Thanks again,
  White Raven

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Tue, 11 August 2009 at 3:04 AM

When I bought Poser6 I moved my Poser5 runtime into it, then Poser6 stopped working, so I moved everything back to Poser5 & that stopped working as well. NEVER move the main runtime of an older version of Poser into a newer version. I had to wipe both completely & reinstall to get Poser working again.

They really should mention that in the Manual.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

rty ( ) posted Tue, 11 August 2009 at 7:13 PM

If you want to move, save the new runtime first (copy it to another place), then copy the old runtime over, then copy the new one back over the old one. That way you are sure you keep all files the new Poser version needs: All Poser configuration files are inside the runtime, Poser would be quite annoyed not being able to understand them anymore.

Needless to say, before doing this, back up both runtimes. Anyway, back up your runtimes often...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.