Wed, Sep 18, 8:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Remapping tutorial?

SeanMartin ( ) posted Fri, 21 August 2009 at 2:01 PM · edited Tue, 23 July 2024 at 12:55 AM

Does anyone know where to find something that shows, in excrutiating detail, how to remap something? I have some old clothing pieces that dont have obj files (or somehow have them embedded within the cr2; I'm not sure). As such I cant make a template and therefore texture them like I'd like to. I tried exporting the clothing piece as an obj and then putting it through Mapper, with no success because (again, for some odd reason) it didnt create a map. It recognizes the vectors, but wont map them out.

Help! Please! I have cookies!

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

Tashar59 ( ) posted Fri, 21 August 2009 at 2:33 PM

Do you have a modeling app? Try loading the exported .obj to that and see what it looks like.

Strange that UVMapper does not generate a map if it reads the .obj. Did you try different mapping options. Maybe save the .obj out from UVMapper and then open that new one in UVM again. See if UVM will map that. Or load it to the modeling app first and then use the new exported .obj from that in UVM.

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 21 August 2009 at 2:49 PM

In the absence of a UVMap, you may need to recreate the obj in UVMapper under a mesh type.  Usually it would be a planar mesh.  However, because there wasn't a proper map created in the first place, you might wind up with a jumble of vertices in the template.  That would involve separating by material and recreating the Map through resizing and placement.  I wonder if a UVMap can be generated by bringing the obj into a 3rd party modeling program like Blender, Hex, Wings3D, etc.?

SeanMartin ( ) posted Fri, 21 August 2009 at 3:11 PM

file_437641.jpg

Okay, let's assume for the moment that I can haul it into FormZ (my modeling app) and export an obj out of there that Mapper can read and turn into something useful. How do I go about hooking that new onj to the cr2?

Sorry if this seems like a d'uh question, but I've never really figured that one out.

Here's the start of the cr2 file for a cook's jacket. Why it's labeled as "short cleeves.cr2" is a mystery to me (It doesnt seem to access any obj file whatsoever), but anyway...

{

version
    {
    number 4.01
    }
figureResFile :Runtime:libraries:character:Ichiro:ShortSleeves.cr2
actor BODY:6
    {
    geomCustom
        {
        numbVerts    0
        numbTVerts    0
        numbTSets     0
        numbElems   0
        numbSets    0
        }

}
actor hip:6
    {
    geomCustom
        {
        numbVerts    190
        numbTVerts    0
        numbTSets     0
        numbElems   148
        numbSets    592
        v 0.000000 0.387976 0.040421
        v -0.014566 0.337354 -0.053964
        v 0.000000 0.413949 -0.038592

And here's the jpg file of what it looks like. The ash et al were layered on in Photoshop; the original render is a pristine white.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Fri, 21 August 2009 at 3:29 PM · edited Fri, 21 August 2009 at 3:31 PM

Did you open the ShortSleeves.cr2 to look at that and see if it has a path to an .obj?

It looks to me like that what your showing is pointing to another cr2 that contains the real info that you need and use.

That would then be a path such as :Runtime:Geometries:whateverfolders:ShortSleeves.obj

You would then place your new .obj in the Geometries folder you want and point the path to it. There are 2 lines that need to be changed. Just scoll down a bit to find the second line. You should be able to use the Shortsleeves cr2 to create the new one and just rename it something different so you don't over write the original.

SeanMartin ( ) posted Fri, 21 August 2009 at 3:36 PM

The Short Sleeve cr2 is one of the things that came with the original Ichiro 1 and does indeed have its own obj. The creator of this stuff (the chef jacket, not LittleFox) seems to do this a lot: a pair of jeans he created points at the original sandals. It's all very weird. :)

Thanks, Tashar. I'll give this a shot and see what happens.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Fri, 21 August 2009 at 3:41 PM

It might also explain the problem of the .obj in UVM. Try importing the .obj that the Short sleeves.cr2 is using.

nruddock ( ) posted Fri, 21 August 2009 at 3:49 PM

Quote - It doesnt seem to access any obj file whatsoever

The geometry is for some reason embedded in the file in those geomCustom sections.

The same process (more or less) as for props would be required -> http://artzone.daz3d.com/wiki/doku.php/pub/tutorials/poser/poser-misc42

The wrinkle here is that you need to do one OBJ for each customGeom.

The alternative would be to combine the seperate OBJs making each one a group and rerig to create a new CR2 that has body parts corresponding to those groups (I suspect this is only worth attempting if externalising the seperate parts doesn't work).

Once you have an OBJ or OBJs you can map those and add materials etc.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Fri, 21 August 2009 at 4:02 PM

nruddock beat me to it. I tried to edit my last post but it would not let me.

SeanMartin ( ) posted Fri, 21 August 2009 at 5:31 PM

This helps enormously, guys. Thanks!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.