Wed, Sep 18, 8:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: OT (or maybe not) -- are things getting too complex?

DCArt ( ) posted Sat, 29 August 2009 at 11:03 PM

I still think it might be related to Poser.exe ... and that you have your Hiro stuff in an external runtime seems to confirm that. Did you try the DAZ Studio install option?

SeanMartin ( ) posted Sat, 29 August 2009 at 11:08 PM · edited Sat, 29 August 2009 at 11:09 PM

Yep. It's definitely looking for Hiro 3, which is fine except it would be nice IF THE INSTALLER TOLD YOU AS SUCH.

I dont want to deal with it tonight. I'll try again tomorrow, and if it sitll doesnt work, screw it, I'll take the seven bucks and change back. Nothing is worth this kind of hassle.

But again... is this kind of complexity worth it? The seven items I bought come from the full run of DAZ's magic installers, and what I found funny/ridiculous is that the early ones? Worked like a charm: three clicks and you're done.

Now? "Do you want an uninstaller?" "Have you read the EULA?" "Is Vicky 4 the ABSOLUTE BEST OR WHAT?" I gather if you answer the last one "No", it stops everything and waits for you to come to your senses.

EDIT TO ADD: Yeah, I know, I should be posting this at the DAZ forum. That's, uh, not possible right now. LOL

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 29 August 2009 at 11:12 PM · edited Sat, 29 August 2009 at 11:13 PM

Quote - ... Now? "Do you want an uninstaller?" "Have you read the EULA?" "Is Vicky 4 the ABSOLUTE BEST OR WHAT?" I gather if you answer the last one "No", it stops everything and waits for you to come to your senses.

They'd be wating an awfully long time for me....lol. ;o)

Quote - EDIT TO ADD: Yeah, I know, I should be posting this at the DAZ forum. That's, uh, not possible right now. LOL

Not unless you're wearing your flame-proof underwear ;o).

Laurie

Diogenes ( ) posted Sun, 30 August 2009 at 6:51 AM

Technology is often a crock IMHO.  I still drive a 1970 Lincoln Mark3. 18 feet long weighs in at 4900 lbs, has a 460 cid for power. As big and heavy as it is it still gets 20 mpg. I can do all the work on it myself and it has never in 30 years left me walking.

I also have a  newer dodge PU. weighs much less and has a smaller engine (a318 cid I forget what the liter displacement is but its a 318). Has so much junk on it you have to hook it up to special equipment to work on it. It gets about 13 MPG and spends most of the time in the shop.

The bluebook on the old lincoln is now worth much more than the PU as well.

Go figure.

A HOMELAND FOR POSER FINALLY

Klebnor ( ) posted Sun, 30 August 2009 at 8:08 AM

Not surprising that the value on the Lincoln is higher, the PU is now a FIAT !!

Klebnor von Stutgart

Lotus 123 ~ S-Render ~ OS/2 WARP ~ IBM 8088 / 4.77 Mhz ~ Hercules Ultima graphics, Hitachi 10 MB HDD, 64K RAM, 12 in diagonal CRT Monitor (16 colors / 60 Hz refresh rate), 240 Watt PS, Dual 1.44 MB Floppies, 2 button mouse input device.  Beige horizontal case.  I don't display my unit.

MikeJ ( ) posted Sun, 30 August 2009 at 8:26 AM · edited Sun, 30 August 2009 at 8:28 AM

Quote -
I have a Logitech MX Revolution mouse. it's a wonderful mouse and I love it.

How long have you had it?
I love those. or rather, I loved those. They're great until the LMB goes haywire and starts double-clicking instead of single clicking. The first one did that after 6 months. I figured I just got a defective one. The second one lasted maybe 8 months. I figured maybe I was just unlucky. The third one lasted about 8 months. I decided never again.
Each one of them did the exact same thing as I mentioned above - the LMB begins double-clicking instead of single clicking. You can find many reports of that by Googling it.

I never was really happy with it for 3D work, since a lot of programs use the scroll wheel as a MMB. For as complex and "advanced" as that mouse is, you couldn't make it do something simple like have the scroll wheel act as a middle mouse button. I found a hacked driver that allowed for that, but it caused other problems.

So I also had my $15.00 Microsoft optical mouse plugged in for when I needed a MMB.

That "simple" Microsoft 2-button optical mouse with the normal and "simple" scroll wheel has kept going along, day after day, and has watched $300.00+ worth of Logitech technology come and go and die unceremoniously in the trash can. I now have three Microsoft Optical  mousies, for $45.00 from NewEgg, one for each computer I have, and I will never be suckered into any "advanced" mouse by Logitech again.

MikeJ ( ) posted Sun, 30 August 2009 at 8:40 AM · edited Sun, 30 August 2009 at 8:44 AM

I'm not going to quote anybody for this, but yeah, that DAZ installer is idiotic.
It also causes error messages in Windows 7: "This program may not have installed correctly", which will pop up after the installer is finished. I haven't seen any other installers do that, certainly not any modern ones.. And the DAZ installer isn't even that old, certainly nowhere near as old as Deep Paint 3D, which I just installed the other day and which doesn't cause that error message.

Of course you can easily enough defeat any runtime stupidity it wants to foist upon you by installing to a temp folder first, which is what I do, but I can't see a single reason why they can't just use a zip file, along with a ReadMe of where to put everything.

Yeah I know, it's for the n00bs. But honestly, I don't care. Let them RTFM. Let them either learn or have a hissy fit cryfest. After they finish crying about not knowing what to do with the files, they'll figure it out and they'll ultimately be better off for it.

That's just for the normal stuff from their store.

Don't even get me started on the V4 and M4 installers. They reached levels of idiocy far beyond anything I would have thought possible with that maneuver. Whoever at DAZ thought that was a good idea needs a good slapping around.

SeanMartin ( ) posted Sun, 30 August 2009 at 8:50 AM

>> " Of course you can easily enough defeat any runtime stupidity it wants to foist upon you by installing to a temp folder first"

That's my usual SOP, because I unpack and archive so I dont get caught in their stupid OS-specific lunacy. But not this time: didnt work. Not the Hiro 3 Ultrabodysuit: it's special. It's different. It's wandering around, looking for something like a lost puppy on the side of the road, and it wont tell me what the bloody blue blazes it wants. I tried again this morning with Hiro installed in my main runtime. Still not working.

Gah. Just not worth it.

MikeJ ( ) posted Sun, 30 August 2009 at 9:33 AM · edited Sun, 30 August 2009 at 9:34 AM

If I were you I would just download the PC version and send the file to someone with a PC who can unpack it and send you the runtime as a zip.
Not exactly legal I suppose but in that case I'd just say to hell with that - screw 'em. Of course I think if you told the guy to delete the files afterward you'd be in the clear. Not like they're gonna prosecute someone for that anyway.

I wonder if I'm gonna get a warning for the above. ;-)

DCArt ( ) posted Sun, 30 August 2009 at 9:44 AM

I just ordered it, and will download Mac and PC now. I'm curious to see what's going on, and maybe I can shed some light.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 30 August 2009 at 10:00 AM

Quote - If I were you I would just download the PC version and send the file to someone with a PC who can unpack it and send you the runtime as a zip.
Not exactly legal I suppose but in that case I'd just say to hell with that - screw 'em. Of course I think if you told the guy to delete the files afterward you'd be in the clear. Not like they're gonna prosecute someone for that anyway.

I wonder if I'm gonna get a warning for the above. ;-)

Big no-no, I'm thinkin' ;o). Unless the other person ALSO owned it. That would be the only way I can see it would be on the up and up ;o). Tis better just not to rub Daz the wrong way...lol.

Laurie

MikeJ ( ) posted Sun, 30 August 2009 at 10:05 AM

Quote -

Big no-no, I'm thinkin' ;o). Unless the other person ALSO owned it. That would be the only way I can see it would be on the up and up ;o). Tis better just not to rub Daz the wrong way...lol.

Laurie

That may very well be, but I think I'd do it and send DAZ an email telling them I did it and why. If they thought their files were being passed around because people couldn't simply use the thing they bought without help from an outside source, they might rethink their plan a little quicker.

DCArt ( ) posted Sun, 30 August 2009 at 10:36 AM

Just to confirm ... I am having the same problem, Sean. There's something wrong with this installer, don't know what it's looking for. I created a separate runtime folder, put Hiro 3 Base in it, and then tried to install the body suit. No go.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 30 August 2009 at 11:22 AM

aha! The installer's hosed? Never had that problem with a Daz installer before, but I guess there's a first time for everything ;o).

Laurie

DCArt ( ) posted Sun, 30 August 2009 at 11:25 AM

Not sure if it's hosed (and it's the first time I've used a Mac installer for Poser content). But it doesn't seem to want to install, it's looking for a particular file that isn't identified.

Sounds like something that DAZ will know the answer to, or how to get it installed.

flibbits ( ) posted Sun, 30 August 2009 at 3:27 PM

I'm surprised the people who quote the Dalai Lama and who go to dojos don't understand the nature of simplicity.  Simplicity is not within a thing or process, it's within your perception.

SeanMartin ( ) posted Sun, 30 August 2009 at 3:43 PM

Okay, how's this: DAZ installers are simply idiotic. :)

Yes, yes, I know: be at one with the installer. The installer is the product is the installer. The installation process should not be mastered, for no one can master the howling wind or the laughing brook. Rather, see the installer as that part of your ki, serene and peaceful. You are it and it is you.

God, I studied too much comparative religion in seminary.....

DCArt ( ) posted Sun, 30 August 2009 at 3:44 PM

LMAO

markschum ( ) posted Sun, 30 August 2009 at 4:03 PM · edited Sun, 30 August 2009 at 4:04 PM

file_438362.png

I have asked Daz about my utility to list the contents of the installer. I feel I need their OK because it may be considered reverse engineering which is a big no-no in programming circles.

This is what mine looks like when run .

Is there really a demand for this sort of thing ?

Dale B ( ) posted Sun, 30 August 2009 at 4:29 PM

Considering how large and out of control runtimes can get? OH, yes, there is a need, if not a vocal demand for, things like that....... 

Klebnor ( ) posted Sun, 30 August 2009 at 5:09 PM

If it's executable, and not a python script, then yes I could use something like that.

Klebnor

Lotus 123 ~ S-Render ~ OS/2 WARP ~ IBM 8088 / 4.77 Mhz ~ Hercules Ultima graphics, Hitachi 10 MB HDD, 64K RAM, 12 in diagonal CRT Monitor (16 colors / 60 Hz refresh rate), 240 Watt PS, Dual 1.44 MB Floppies, 2 button mouse input device.  Beige horizontal case.  I don't display my unit.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.