Thu, Sep 19, 9:20 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 9:06 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Geleto GPU Render Engine for Blender

InfoCentral ( ) posted Sat, 12 September 2009 at 10:14 AM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 5:26 AM

Anyone using the Geleto Render with Blender.  Nvidia has now released 2.2 Pro for FREE.  There is a Blender script that has been written to use it.  This makes this the first Blender GPU based render engine.  Just curious if anyone has any experience with it.

Geleto 2.2 Render Engine

Geleto to Blender Script

This will be the last Geleto version as nVidia is putting there effort into OpenCL and CUDA now.

wespose ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 12:15 PM

I have not, but I just downloaded it and will now that its free..Im looking for a something that can photorealistically render Poser characters in blender Im pretty much trying out all the free ones.
thanks for the links. Be sure to post some renders even its just a fancy shaded suzanne on a plane with some good lights.

InfoCentral ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 5:38 PM

Good enough for me.  Thanks...

wespose ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 10:27 AM

Hey did you have to install the RIB importer and shader converter to export out from blender and render with Geleto or does Mosiac do it all and launches Geleto from within blender?
also I cant seem to find the gz. archive opener for the py. script.

InfoCentral ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 6:26 PM

Haven't ever tried it but you can post your questions to the Gelato Forums.  Here is a link to the thread and the author of that plug-in:

Gelato to Blender

Hope this helps...

redtrek ( ) posted Sun, 04 October 2009 at 4:36 PM

I found this topic, and thought I might try the renderer, but Gelato seems to have disappeared at Nvidia.

InfoCentral ( ) posted Mon, 05 October 2009 at 7:44 AM

Your right I don't see the Gelato page anymore.  The forum is still up though.

DoomsdayRenderer ( ) posted Mon, 05 October 2009 at 11:45 AM

Gelato 2.2 Pro RC1 Seems to be available in many places, Guru3D for example. So nVidia is just saving their own bandwith by giving the distribution to file download sites.

I'm downloading it as I write this, but I think I prefer Povray, Yafaray, LuxRender, Sunflow and Aqsis with Blender... And I read somewhere that Blender's own internal render engine is getting major raytracing overhaul, now that's cool too.

Come to think of it, it seems to be so that I own nearly hundred render engines (Ok, I count every sw internals there). That is depressing considering how n00b stuff I do. I have only once placed in major competition (CGSociety Challenge), and that wasn't any good.

Maybe I should stop fooling around and actually DO something. But testing cool technical thingumajigs is so neat excuse for not actually working on art skills... :biggrin:

wespose ( ) posted Mon, 05 October 2009 at 1:07 PM

**DoomsdayRenderer...............Ahhhh thats funny
"**Come to think of it, it seems to be so that I own nearly hundred render engines (Ok, I count every sw internals there). That is depressing considering how n00b stuff I do. I have only once placed in major competition (CGSociety Challenge), and that wasn't any good."

Im the same way ..I have all the render engines for Blender that are free and , but i spend most of my time tinkering with Daz Studio..and I havnt posted anything since 2006 during my bryce and poser 5 days...wow

DoomsdayRenderer ( ) posted Mon, 05 October 2009 at 1:48 PM

...and one of my all time favorite 3D artists is posting only cat photos. I think that's not a good sign. Maybe we all need a kick in the butt or something...

I just checked Blender feature history from 2.40 to 2.49. Maybe all features aren't quite yet top class, or need still some development, but holy spaghetti monster, there is so much to use there... And here I'm using only something like 2-5% of the beast.

Argh, I need to play more...

InfoCentral ( ) posted Mon, 05 October 2009 at 9:59 PM

It sounds like Gelato is calling both of you!

wespose ( ) posted Tue, 06 October 2009 at 10:51 AM

Blender is an awesome freebie, Im waiting until 2.5 is finalized and released from the foundation before I dive into it and and really get to learning it. I even have the Tony Mullen books and still havnt produced anything with it , hahaha.  Then I wont be happy until I can render with Vray 1.5 from blender i guess ( a stable release and not the experimental script with a vray demo).

InfoCentral ( ) posted Tue, 06 October 2009 at 11:39 AM

Once the UI changes in 2.5 I don't know how much good those old tutorials and books are going to be.

DoomsdayRenderer ( ) posted Tue, 06 October 2009 at 12:09 PM

InfoCentral, there are no major changes in most parts of Blender. They give us more, not only different.

I don't know which parts actually make it to 2.5 in time, but animation changes are better editors (NLA I think, maybe other areas, also making as many things animatable as possible), so most of what we know is just more easily usable. I think that Jaguarandi branch of raytracing looks interesting as well as Freestyle (better toon renders for me, yay). Also there's something major coming in NURBS side.

(OK, maybe I read too much rumors...)

I think the much discussed new UI stuff may be minor stuff once you get used to it -- maybe we get all Chrismas presents this year, no matter what is our favorite area...

wespose ( ) posted Tue, 06 October 2009 at 12:57 PM

Im looking forward to the raytracing changes in the internal render engine. As far as the UI its just reorganized and glamorized for the chronic complainers out there who dont want to reckognize it as a competetive tool because of its "arcaic interface"  (blah blah). Same + more tools added. Voxel sculpting huh....i give it a whirl but dont expect much out of it after playing with 3d coat V3 for a while now...wow!!

I hoping for the vray plugin to be finished by christmas!!!     Dear Santa .......Ive been somewhat good this year!!! :)

FrankT ( ) posted Tue, 06 October 2009 at 2:22 PM

The VRay plugin would be fab.  I'm seriously thinking about getting the standalone VRay licence so I can use it with Blender.  I used the beta version for a while and it's amazing.  Would be nice if Blender materials could be transferred over to Vray though like you can in C4D

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

wespose ( ) posted Tue, 06 October 2009 at 2:51 PM

Has there been any mention of material transfer in the script...Im thinking something like Mosiac with renderman Compliant.  Id be happy downloading a material database for vray if that the case though! As soon as the plugin is done Im going drop the dough on a 1.5 stand alone liscense!

DoomsdayRenderer ( ) posted Tue, 06 October 2009 at 2:52 PM

FrankT, here's Blender - V-Ray plugin project, but I have no idea of completeness or anything. (You may already know more of this than I do...)

http://blender.bevice.ru/

However, Blendernation has some info also.

FrankT ( ) posted Tue, 06 October 2009 at 3:02 PM

I know about that site DR but thanks anyway :biggrin: The guy is doing an amazing job on the script/plugin.

@wespose.  I've not heard anything yet but if it can be done then it would be way beyond cool.  Imagine Blender and the power of Vray :)
I'm saving my pennies for the standalone license.  It's pretty cheap considering what you are getting

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

wespose ( ) posted Tue, 06 October 2009 at 3:35 PM

DR thanks I havnt seen those renders yet....I have been watching for it on Vray.com
http://www.vray.com/vray_for_blender/index.shtml
signed up for the e-mail alert and all.

Yeah I get to spend a little change around tax return time ..so early 2010 its on my first to buy or stash away for list!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.