Sun, Sep 22, 12:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: Poser 8, Animation: Compressor Depth-Millions Colors+ not creating alpha channel

riskebiz ( ) posted Mon, 19 October 2009 at 12:18 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 12:21 PM

I just upgraded to Poser 8 and I am trying to render an animation with the compressor depth set at Millions of Colors+ .... but the final rendered quicktime does not have the matte alpha channel it is suppose to have. What gives? Could someone help me, please?

Dale B ( ) posted Mon, 19 October 2009 at 2:35 PM

Exactly which codec are you using...? 

riskebiz ( ) posted Mon, 19 October 2009 at 3:04 PM

I heard back from Poser 8 SmithMicro tech team. It's a developer issue and they are working on it with apologies. Apparently, the only way to get matte alpha channel in a movie is to render the animation as files (png or psd) with million + and then you'll get the alpha channel. Rendering as a quicktime movie currently is useless if you want an alpha channel.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 19 October 2009 at 6:57 PM

in P7/8X, the standard method was to save anim sequence as series of tiff files, or to save an uncompressed QT movie, which is the same as concatenating a series of tiff files.  using png file format instead can sometimes have unexpected results in OSX in re: alpha channel and photoshop.

3dactor ( ) posted Mon, 19 October 2009 at 6:57 PM · edited Mon, 19 October 2009 at 7:00 PM

jpeg 2000 codec supports alpha channel, but I haven't tried outputting from Poser via this codec. I always use Image files for a couple reasons.

1. png = no compression & supports alpha channels. 
  2. if there is an error or crash partway through you can start at that frame next time instead of at the beginning.

I am on  a Mac OS 10.5 & use png with Photoshop CS3ext or CS4ext all the time. import the image sequence as a movie, drop a background in and a logo. no problems.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.