Fri, Oct 4, 5:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: On-line Photography Classes - your opinion is of interest

MrsLubner ( ) posted Thu, 29 October 2009 at 12:30 PM · edited Mon, 16 September 2024 at 8:55 AM

Attached Link: Web Photo School

I have been looking at taking on-line photography classes. Nothing too rigid or with mandatory timelines. My spare time is limited. 

The link I've given is to the one that has caught my attention, offering to let me select what I want to learn, in the order I want to learn it, in the time frame I feel comfortable - and at a flat fee with no obligation attached to continue after the first month.

I'm curious if others have had any experience with on-line classes and have any tips for choosing one. 

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault

camera ( ) posted Thu, 29 October 2009 at 4:29 PM

Having viewed your photographs posted in Renderosity, IMHO, you should be teaching photography courses as opposed to taking any. 

MrsLubner ( ) posted Thu, 29 October 2009 at 5:08 PM

Hey, I really appreciate that. My problem is, I learn my camera and not photography in general. Some things come naturally but if I knew more about exposure values, metering, etc. I feel like I might be able to put more polish into what I do. AND learning about marketing and disclosures and waivers and releases might be nice as well. You're so sweet... (did I say that already??? )

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault

whaleman ( ) posted Thu, 29 October 2009 at 6:59 PM

I agree, and you can probably find a free tutorial about metering and exposure values etc. Marketing and releases and such is a whole different matter, especially marketing, so perhaps you should look for a course in entrepreneurship. All the best!

Wayne

bentchick ( ) posted Thu, 29 October 2009 at 8:17 PM

It seems to me, the site you've chosen seems pretty simple. I like that you can sign up for month to month and if your just not getting anything out of it you can drop it.

On the other hand, why not just find the information you need online without paying someone else. You would be surprised how much "free" photography info is out there.  I'm a member at DPS and there are tons of tutorials and articles on every facet of photography.

Now..... if I had the money.... my personal preference would be to go to a photography seminar like the Sante Fe Workshops. 

Everyone learns things their own way, so in the end, it' s what ever works for you!

Kim Hawkins

Kim Hawkins Eastern Sierra Gallery

kgb224 ( ) posted Thu, 29 October 2009 at 10:42 PM

Quote - I have been looking at taking on-line photography classes. Nothing too rigid or with mandatory timelines. My spare time is limited. 

The link I've given is to the one that has caught my attention, offering to let me select what I want to learn, in the order I want to learn it, in the time frame I feel comfortable - and at a flat fee with no obligation attached to continue after the first month.

I'm curious if others have had any experience with on-line classes and have any tips for choosing one. 

Good luck with the Photography course.I am doing a Photography course which expires in 2011.
I need to send in assignments though.I am at a stand still at the moment which is not good.Did 2 assignments so far passing both 64% and 68%.

kgb224 ( ) posted Thu, 29 October 2009 at 10:43 PM

Quote - It seems to me, the site you've chosen seems pretty simple. I like that you can sign up for month to month and if your just not getting anything out of it you can drop it.

On the other hand, why not just find the information you need online without paying someone else. You would be surprised how much "free" photography info is out there.  I'm a member at DPS and there are tons of tutorials and articles on every facet of photography.

Now..... if I had the money.... my personal preference would be to go to a photography seminar like the Sante Fe Workshops. 

Everyone learns things their own way, so in the end, it' s what ever works for you!

May i ask what is your nick at DPS.I registered in the forum recently.
I am kgb224 there. There is lots of information there.

MrsLubner ( ) posted Thu, 29 October 2009 at 11:20 PM

Hey, lots of good suggestions here. I thought about tutorials but sifting through site after site to find it seemed time consuming and for a small fee per month, it would be worth it to find a place that offers it all in one place. But I think the tutorials are a good fall back. I'll check that out too. :-)

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault

ejn ( ) posted Fri, 30 October 2009 at 3:14 AM

Looking at your gallery I dont think you need any courses.
If you want to know about exposures etc either ask the question in a forum or ask me,always willing to help.
There are probably hundreds of bits of info regarding exposures etc free on line.
As for marketing etc,that is a different ball game. Competition is fierce out there.
There are plenty of sites where you can put your images for sale,the downside is that you only get a pittance for your images. Maybe you should consider your own web site and shopping cart.
Seling one decent priced image now and again will give you more profit than selling dozens on image sites.
Eddie 

MrsLubner ( ) posted Fri, 30 October 2009 at 6:36 PM

I have ordered some books on marketing and writing contracts and that sort of thing. We have lots of galleries in our downtown area and I work with a guy who was a freelance photojournalist that traveled all over the US in his younger days (now does weddings and birthdays and such in his spare time) who has been giving me information on establishing a portfolio and peddling it to the different galleries. I would like to do this but I don't feel confident enough without being more fluent in proper terms.

Eddie, I think I already have told you how I admire your work. Your style is one I study closely. Maybe I'm looking for something that I can't learn and its just something "felt."

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault

ejn ( ) posted Sat, 31 October 2009 at 3:14 AM

Hi MrsLubner,

I went and had another look at your gallery and cant see anything wrong with your images. Nobody is born an expert in anything so we all have to learn at what ever we want to do and improve. If you look at the older submissions in my gallery and then look at the newer stuff I think you will see the style has changed.

I think maybe the question is "where do you want to go from here" As I said your images are good but you sound as though you want to move on.

I must admit I enjoy the post processing as much as I enjoy the taking of images.I kept looking at peoples work and thinking "what am I doing wrong or what do they do that I dont." Most of it came down to looking at things differently and post processing. I was going to Scotland for a week and was looking around at locations and came across one female who's work was very good. I looked at her work and thought either you are extremely lucky to always get amazing lighting or you post work the images. I actually visited some of the locations she had been to and it looked to me like it came down to post work. Most of it subtle but I could see how she was getting such lovely images. This was all bloody annoying because every photo mag you read never goes much beyond dodge and burn. 

So I set out to learn a lot more on post work and that was some of the answer. Location is just about everything, if there is nothing there you cant photograph it. So I do work out where I want to go,check out the weather, consider where the sun will be at any given time,check on wind speed if I want smooth water etc.

With the English weather it doesn't always work. And it always about going that extra bit to get the image. If you look at my shot of the "Three Sisters of Glencoe" I got absolutely soaked getting that shot and was standing in a stream with only trainers on my feet.  On my "Tranquility" shot there was another photographer on the shore who got annoyed when the canoeist came across the lake. He wanted just the lake I guess and didn't see the potential in the shot as it materialized with the canoeist and the mountains. On the Lump Falls shot I had to get down a very steep rocky bank and couldn't see how I would get back but that's the extra mile you have to go...out of the comfort zone.

Hope I havent rambled on too much and of course there will be others who disagree with me.

So the question is what do you feel you are lacking or where do you want your photography to go to from here....

Eddie

MrsLubner ( ) posted Sat, 31 October 2009 at 3:39 AM

Eddie, so much information...so much now to think about. Thank you a million times.

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.