Fri, Oct 4, 12:19 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: A couple of question about Poser 6 and Windows 7?

MikeMoss ( ) posted Thu, 19 November 2009 at 1:15 PM · edited Sun, 15 September 2024 at 3:43 AM

Hi 

Question number one...

When I complete an animation after getting a new computer with Windows 7 I get this error message....

There was a problem starting  amovie.ocx 
The specified module could not be found.

I didn't get this running Poser in Windows 7 RC on my old computer.
Anyone have any idea how I can fix this, it does complete the animation OK it just won't open it.
I have to go to the folder and open it from there.

Question number 2...

Does anyone know where I can get templates for the Poser 6 figures?
Or at least tell me where poser stores the .obj files for these figures.

I could make my own templets using UVMapper but I can't find any object files for James and Jessi?

I can find the files for all the other figures up through P5 but not P6.

Last question...

How good is Poser 8, is it stable, (not that I have ever had a version that was) and does it do things enough better to be worth the update.  I usually skip every other version and I'm at 6 now.

Any help appreciated 

Mike

If you shoot a mime, do you need a silencer?

Adom ( ) posted Thu, 19 November 2009 at 1:32 PM · edited Thu, 19 November 2009 at 1:38 PM

EDIT:: sorry i haven't noticed that you asked about winows 7 - so my answer could be incorrect

Hi,
ad 2, (partly - and as you can see it is based on P7 not P6 - but should be similar)

c:Program Filese frontierPoser 7RuntimeLibrariesCharacterPoser 6JessiJessi.obz

it is not in geometries dir - it is in librariescharacter somewhere and it is probably commpressed (has obz extention).

MikeMoss ( ) posted Thu, 19 November 2009 at 1:53 PM · edited Thu, 19 November 2009 at 1:53 PM

Hi Adom

Thanks for the reply.

I found those files with the OBZ extensions.
Which poses (no put intended) a new question, UVMapper doesn't see those files as .OBj files so it won't open them.

Anyone have any ideas.

Mike

Adom ( ) posted Thu, 19 November 2009 at 1:55 PM

Just unzip them (with any unzip- like program - should work - and you get obj files)

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 19 November 2009 at 2:04 PM

Dimension3D has an unzip utility in Free Stuff, if you need one.

MikeMoss ( ) posted Thu, 19 November 2009 at 4:45 PM

Thanks guys I'll give it a try.

Mike

nruddock ( ) posted Thu, 19 November 2009 at 5:26 PM

To answer Q1, P6 is looking for a control that obviously doesn't exist in Windows 7, so I don't think it's too likely you'll be able to cure it.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Thu, 19 November 2009 at 6:21 PM

ok do a little googling.
you can download the OCX (scan it of course but you should'nt have an issue) and put it in I think System32 tho I could be wrong about the location needed. that'll fix ya up.

it's part of the old video systems left over from Win9X... so looks like they dumped it out completely from Win7.

MikeMoss ( ) posted Fri, 20 November 2009 at 11:03 AM · edited Fri, 20 November 2009 at 11:06 AM

Hi 

I had already downloaded the OCX file but I couldn't fine anyplace that said what to do with it.
I'll give a try at just putting it into the Systrem 32 folder and see what happens.

I downloaded the unzip utility suggested and that did the trick, I have my templates all made

Thanks for the help.

Mike

nruddock ( ) posted Fri, 20 November 2009 at 3:32 PM · edited Fri, 20 November 2009 at 3:33 PM

Quote - I had already downloaded the OCX file but I couldn't fine anyplace that said what to do with it.
I'll give a try at just putting it into the Systrem 32 folder and see what happens.

You need to register the OCX :- regsvr32 [path][whatever].OCX

Rance01 ( ) posted Fri, 20 November 2009 at 5:46 PM

FYI: Poser HAS a built in de-compressor (un-compressor?),  There's a python script that ships with the program.  You might also use another of the scripts to track down resources.  It will list the files in an iventory OR copy them to the folder of your choice.  It's a good way to export an entire scene to move or copy it to another computer.  Look into the python scripts.  They're very powerful and can help out alot.

Another thing is you might want to be sure to leave the original object files intact.  Poser might not like it if you change the original geometry files ...

Best Wishes,
Rªnce

Rance01 ( ) posted Fri, 20 November 2009 at 5:52 PM

Just did a search on my WindowXP machine and amovie.ocx is file not found.  Strange that I have no animation errors and DON'T have the ocx file.

-R

nruddock ( ) posted Fri, 20 November 2009 at 6:32 PM

Quote - Just did a search on my WindowXP machine and amovie.ocx is file not found.  Strange that I have no animation errors and DON'T have the ocx file.

My guess would be that the OP's machine was either upgraded from Win98 to XP or something that used that control was installed and removed leaving behind some dangling registry entries.

On my XP machine the CLS_ID for the ActiveX Movie control points to a DLL related to WMP, so I suspect the solution is to make sure that WMP is up to date.

MikeMoss ( ) posted Fri, 20 November 2009 at 10:33 PM

Hi

My computer is a brand new Windows 7 64 bit machine.
Poser and everything else run great except Adobe InDesign.  
I had to ungrade to Indesign CS4 to get it to run.

I'll try registering the .ocx file tomorrow.

Mike

MikeMoss ( ) posted Wed, 02 December 2009 at 7:36 PM

Hi

I gave up on trying to get he .ocx file to work.
I asked on the Windows 7 forum as well and after many efforts I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

At least it does create the animations and they run fine and import into Adobe Premiere with no problems.

Mike

Rance01 ( ) posted Thu, 03 December 2009 at 7:54 AM

Just got my Windows 7 machine.  There was an old file I may OLDer comuter that I thought just might work on the new system.  Disappointed.  Four V2s in the scene sitting around PoserWorlds old DiningHall.  I was hoping the new system would raytrace the scene.  The texture filtering was already at 512 and even with the bucket size reduced to 8 the program seemed to hang after rendering shadow maps.  It's an old project I'd all but given up using my older computer.

Poser 6 does seem to play well with Windows 7.  I'm installing Poser 7 now.  Lets see if the 7 likes the 7.

All in all I think I like Windows 7.  I do miss the XP Explorer and Start Menu though.  Much harder for me to get around the version 7 OS.

Best Wishes,
Rªnce

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Thu, 03 December 2009 at 7:58 AM

having tried 'em, if you take the simple course of not installing Poser into Program Files (avoiding issues with UAC and writing to files inside a protected area (program files)) posers 5,6,7,Pro work fine with windows 7 other than the OP's issue.
that I'm stuck on...

Rance01 ( ) posted Thu, 03 December 2009 at 8:53 AM

I've always installed my Poser apps in the root directory, C:Poser #, even under Windows XP Pro.  And I like to keep machines consistant so I avoided any issues with UAC.  I was fiddling with UAC levels and think I did turn it off - have to check that - I'd at least like to run it at a reduced level.

I really don't plan to go out on the Internet with this new machine.  I don't think I need a lot of security measures in place.

Poser 7 DID indeed load and raytrace my old scene.  Seems to be working like a champ!  Increased bucket size to 16 and it's working with Ir caching at 75 and it's raytracing the picture pretty quickly.

Windows 7 certainly seems solid.

-R

Rance01 ( ) posted Fri, 04 December 2009 at 3:30 PM

Well, just got the movie.ocx error.  Simple animation on the new Windows 7 machine and when Poser tried to load the file into Media Player the error popped up.  Microsoft doesn't think too much of it's old AVI format I guess.  Tough to get any support for this issue.

I always thought that function in Poser should be turned off anyway.  If I render straight to video file at all I don't use compression.  Poser's compression has never been good.  Having a machine open any size un-compressed video file, unless it's in an editor, is kind of silly.  I'd rather Poser NOT try and open the AVI at all.

Off to see what I can find on the movie.ocx file.

MikeMoss ( ) posted Fri, 04 December 2009 at 11:10 PM

Hi

When I'm animating stuff I do a lot of testing making a file, seeing how it runs, adjusting and doing it again and again.

It's nice to have it just pop open and not have to go to navigate to my folder and open it from there every time.  I suppose I could at least leave the folder open on the task bar, just thought of that.

Mike

Rance01 ( ) posted Sat, 05 December 2009 at 6:19 AM

Hi Mike.  So, do your use compression during your tests?  I guess with newer machines - with lots and lots of RAM - it's not as big a deal as it used to be.  I remember doing great big chunks of vid and having the computer strain to open the thing.  Especially tough after dedicatiing so many resources to Poser.  Poser has never been very efficient with it's use or memory.

I would like to fix the issue.  I'm running Poser 6 and 7 one a Windows 7 Ultimate machine.  I'd be great to hear some suggestions.  I tried (briefly) to find the movie.ocx file online but only came up with a much of comercial or otherwise suspect links.

I do have the legacy Indeo package for Windows XP.  I wonder if just installing some of the older CODEX packs would solve the problem.  I have looked for the file on this, Windows XP machine, and came up empty.  And I stress, I get no such error using this machine - the finished animation opens fine on this machine straight from Poser 6.  It certainly looks like a Win 7 issue.

Taking a computer break today.  Look into this tomorrow or sometime next week.

Best Wishes,
Rance

MikeMoss ( ) posted Sat, 05 December 2009 at 12:34 PM · edited Sat, 05 December 2009 at 12:41 PM

Hi Rance01

I just got a new computer from Falcon Northwest and it has made a big difference.
The tests I did indicate that it runs about 6.5 times as fast as my Dell XPS.
In the online game Aion I can get frame rates as high as 220 fps.

When I'm testing I just use the standard setting to create a AVI file.
I'm usually working with 300 frames per clip and in large formats i.e. 1600 by 900 or so.
Then I later edit and put the pieces together in Adobe Premiere and export as mpeg2 or to DVD. 

As far as the .ocx file I did find a place to download it ...

http://www.down-dll.com/index.php?file-download=amovie.ocx

I got instructions on intergrating it into Windows 7 on several tech forums.

But after days of messing around including installing older codex packages I had no luck in getting it to run.

If you have any luck come back and let me know, I'll check back from time to time.

Mike

Rance01 ( ) posted Sat, 05 December 2009 at 7:55 PM

Mike!

Got the file and placed it in the C:WindowsSystem folder of my Windows 7 machine.  Rendered a two frame animation, testing both Poser 6 and 7 and it worked fine: animation finished and Media Player opened and played the file.

Looked again for the file on my older WinXP machine and amovie.ocx is NOT in the WindowsSystem folder.  Can't figure that one out.  I wonder why there's no error running WinXP but there IS with Win 7?

Good work finding the file. I'd forgotten about www.down-dll.com

Best Wishes,
Rªnce

Rance01 ( ) posted Sat, 05 December 2009 at 8:38 PM

You know, on reflection if figures that the ActiveX file is supposed to go in the WindowsSystem folder and NOT System32: ActiveX is old, what are we, on the 9th version of Active's replacement?  The code predates 64 bit systems and there were no System32 folders back then.  The other thing is, after putting the file in the System folder it was alone in there.  The folder exsisted but was empty.

My guess is Windows7 is has fully developed away from Active and is fully integrated to DirectX.

-R

MikeMoss ( ) posted Sun, 06 December 2009 at 3:49 PM

Hi again 

That worked!!!

All that work because everyone told me to put it in the System 32 folder.
Now I can go back and give them the correct answer. LOL!

It no longer open is in Windows Media player but in a Window of it's own.
Always opened in Media Player before, I don't even know where this player comes from unless it is Amovie its self.

But is very fast and opens right away and gives me what I was after; a quick way to check my animations.

Thanks for the help

Mike

Rance01 ( ) posted Sun, 06 December 2009 at 4:04 PM

I bet the other player you mention is the earlier version of Windows Media Player.  Some of that ActiveX code is still on most computers.  In your example it was probably installed when tried various codex packages.  I have a lot of old content with no way to view it, even on this WindowsXP machine and so downloaded Quicktime Alternative.  It displays content in Windows Media Player Classic.  I didn't even know that old thing was still part of my system.

MPC was good, clean, code, without all the merchant links and crap they put into their newer versions.  It is a fast efficient media player.

Well, best wishes to you,
Rªnce

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.