Sun, Sep 22, 6:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Carrara?

Brian S. ( ) posted Tue, 09 February 2010 at 12:53 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 6:24 AM

I already own Vue for doing landscape images. I really like the poduct but have been very interested in upgrading Carra from 6.2 to 7. One major question, I 've seen a number of beautul landscape with trees everywhere. Does Carra handle trees anything lke Vue's eccosystem, or do you need yo maually place each tree.

Thanks for any imput.

sparrownightmare ( ) posted Tue, 09 February 2010 at 12:58 PM

It has replication functions.  I would suggest you take a look at the online info at the DAZ site for more details.  I don't use them a lot since most of my stuff is Scifi though.

AnnieD ( ) posted Tue, 09 February 2010 at 1:03 PM

Carrara 8 beta is out now....not sure what kinds of changes there are though..

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

Danas_Anis ( ) posted Tue, 09 February 2010 at 1:07 PM

good changes, very good changes. 

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Tue, 09 February 2010 at 1:21 PM · edited Tue, 09 February 2010 at 1:35 PM

I use both Vue Xstream as a stand-alone and also in conjunction with C4D. I also use Carrara quite heavily. 

The are both excellent solutions but there are some differences. Vue's ecosystem will take a single tree instance and then alter it during the replication procedure so branch positions and shape are altered. Carrara does not do that but  you can randomize scale and rotation which significantly hides replication issues - and mixing an additional tree or to in to the replicator helps further. Carrara's replication system is faster to manage/adjust content in than Vue's.

Carrara has an a landscape mapping scheme so you can control by altitude, slope and other features as in Vue. Carrara does not have the Ecosystem capabilities to automatically reduce plant replications in shaded areas or near specified objects This can be done by using a custom map which you can paint from within Carrara if you want - but it's a manual thing. Vue lets you "paint" objects right into your scene but Carrara requires you paint on a map and then update the replication. 

Martin (aka Howie Farkes) has done a brilliant job within Carrara of using maps to control placement - but I see he also has the same geometry for sale and use within Vue's Ecosystem now. 

They both have about the same learning curve regarding creating landscapes. Vue has better atmospheric controls than Carrara. You can't actually create anything with Vue except via the Bryce-ish primitive boolean stuff. Carrara has a full bore modeler and an easier-to-use texture scheme and works much better with DAZ/Poser content. Animation is easier to do in Carrara. Vue has animation presets that Carrara does not. 

As with Vue, the quality of the Carrara results is dependent on the user to a very large degree. I'd created this image during the testing of Carrara's replication system when in conjunction with the (then) new transluscency capabilities when it first came out 4 years ago. Howie does much more sophisticated work than I in Carrara landscapes but getting good results really just takes learning the software - same as always! ;-)

Just the made ravings of an insane 3D user...

Mark

Brian S. ( ) posted Tue, 09 February 2010 at 2:21 PM

Thanks everyone, I just upgraded to 7. It was only $99.95. Give me one more prgram I probably won't get the hang of... :)

Incognitas ( ) posted Wed, 10 February 2010 at 2:23 AM

Quote - Thanks everyone, I just upgraded to 7. It was only $99.95. Give me one more prgram I probably won't get the hang of... :)

Now that is so true it made me laugh-not bad on a midweek morning waiting to see if I'm required for work..

Madbat ( ) posted Wed, 10 February 2010 at 2:40 PM

Quote - Thanks everyone, I just upgraded to 7. It was only $99.95. Give me one more prgram I probably won't get the hang of... :)

Lol, so I'm not the only one. Thankfully, I have a couple of Cararra users bugging me to learn it. (thanks guys, you know who you are)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.