Tue, Oct 22, 12:45 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: Grainy Caustics

TonyL ( ) posted Mon, 08 March 2010 at 4:14 PM ยท edited Thu, 15 August 2024 at 10:06 PM

file_449161.jpg

Hi all!

I'm still experimenting with Vue 8. I'm slowly building an underwater scene and this is an experiment on a small part of it. The gels that came with Vue didn't work for me so I made my own. I now like the way the light and shadow shows on the sand. I am not happy with the grainyness (is that even a word?) on the rays showing in the water. I have upped the quality in the caustics panel but it still looks wrong to me. Anybody have any ideas on what else I could try?

Tony

Rutra ( ) posted Mon, 08 March 2010 at 4:19 PM

You probably have to increase the quality of the volumetrics of the light source. Double click the light source, go to tab Volumetric and increase the quality boost. Render will be slower, of course, but grain should decrease.
Hope that helps.

Rutra ( ) posted Mon, 08 March 2010 at 4:20 PM

By the way, if that's a gel, increasing the caustics quality produces no improvements because you're really not using any caustics, you're using a gel. You could disable caustics altogether.

TonyL ( ) posted Mon, 08 March 2010 at 4:56 PM

It is a gel. I'll try what you suggest, thanx!

bruno021 ( ) posted Tue, 09 March 2010 at 5:13 AM

In your render options, uncheck "optimize volumetric lights" if it on. Then you shoud not need too much quality boost.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.