Mon, Sep 9, 8:31 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Does 64bit render faster than 32bit?

shedofjoy ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2010 at 12:38 PM · edited Sat, 20 July 2024 at 3:39 AM

As the title says, i ask this question because i have loaded the same scene into both Poser 8 and Poser 2010, and timed only the rendering(Not the loading of files) and to my shock i get No faster renders in 64 bit than i do in 32 bit, and i was expecting at least half the time, can anyone verify if im right in my tests or should the poser pro 2010 be rendering in half the time of Poser 8?

oh and incase your wondering if my specs are off i have:-
i7 860
1.8gb gtx 260
2.36Tb hd
Win 7 pro 64
so i think my system should cut it,lol.....

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

hobepaintball ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2010 at 12:40 PM

render in seperate process? and how many?

shedofjoy ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2010 at 12:43 PM

how many?....
and i will try a test in a seperate process, hope that has a difference

shedofjoy ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2010 at 12:50 PM

ahhh now rendering in a seperate process adds on average 3seconds to not having rendering in a seperate process....lol...
i tested this 3 times incase of errors....and all results are still the same....hmmm

AnAardvark ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2010 at 2:45 PM

How much RAM do you have, how much virtual memory does Poser use before you render, and how much memory does the renderer use?

The reason for this is that if your scene, while rendering, fits comfortably in the 32-bit address space it probably won't render any faster in the 64-bit address space.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2010 at 6:13 PM

8Gb of ram, and i can only assume that as my os and poser pro2010 is 64bit it will use as much as possible. as for virtual i have 2 1Tb hard drives on raid stripe 0 and a 360Gb hard drive, so enough room there.

ssgbryan ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2010 at 6:19 PM

64 bit will not necessarily mean faster.  What it means is that your scene can access more than 4gb of memory.  I.e. you can have a much, much larger scene.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2010 at 6:23 PM

ahhh... thankyou ssgbryan. that answers my question although in a smith micro e-mail they state:-
"64-bit FireFly Render Engine fully utilizes your system for faster rendering and overall performance"
perhaps they should drop the faster bit

ssgbryan ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2010 at 6:35 PM

Check your settings for the renderer.  From what I understand, it does a better job of thread utilization than P8.

Regretfully, SM hasn't gotten around to given the MAC version the 64-bit monty.   I am hoping that one day, their developers will visit the Apple Developer website & get the (free) stuff they need to move to the Cocoa libraries.

Parthius ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2010 at 6:39 PM

Also keep in mind that the intel CPUs are still basically a 32 bit (IA32) architecture with extra address lines added. While the Intel Itanium (IA64) CPU is a true 64 bit architecture, it does not come in any of the windows systems. Thus any claims that the Intel chips based on the IA32 architecture are 64 bit are inaccurate. They are designed to run 64 bit operating systems, but that is not the same as a true 64 bit architecture.

I am not sure if the AMD chips qualify as true 64 bit architectures, but I believe they may well do so.

Dale B ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2010 at 7:38 PM

They do. Oh boy, do they ever. One of the many benefits of being designed by some of  the geeks who created the Alpha chip for DEC. Not the Intel IA64 spec, of course, as the Itanium was proprietary and very niche market, but built onto the IA32 spec, with Microsoft's assistance in defining what the 64 bit extended functionality would entail. 

AnAardvark ( ) posted Mon, 15 March 2010 at 9:38 AM

Quote - ahhh... thankyou ssgbryan. that answers my question although in a smith micro e-mail they state:-
"64-bit FireFly Render Engine fully utilizes your system for faster rendering and overall performance"
perhaps they should drop the faster bit

No, it is faster. On a 32-bit system, the largest amount of virtual memory that you can access for a single process is 2GB. On large scenes Poser 8 will work by loading in texture maps when it needs them, and dropping them when it doesn't, so there will be a lot more disk I/O. The 64-bit system won't spend nearly as much time on a large scene.

If you want to benchmark it, take a fairly large scene and render it in Poser Pro 2010. Keep adding elements (especially textures) to the scene until it uses 4 or 5 GB (or more) memory during rendering. (Windows task manager gives you a display of how much memory is used.) Time how long it takes to render. Now try rendering the same scene in Poser 8. There should be a marked difference.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.