Mon, Sep 9, 6:59 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Need Help with conforming

DreamWeaver_Designs ( ) posted Tue, 16 March 2010 at 4:50 PM · edited Thu, 18 July 2024 at 3:35 PM

Hi just wondering if any one can help, I have made a multi layer mane for the millennium horse and am trying to get it to conform. So far its not. I tend to work by intuition so need very simple step by step.
The mane was made in 3dsmax9 and I am using poser7.
Any help wold be great, thanks in advance.   

PhilC ( ) posted Tue, 16 March 2010 at 5:16 PM

Ensure that the groups in the mane match those of the horse. That is by internal name and general location. You can find the internal group names in the properties window, it is the name that you can not edit located just above the external name that you can edit.

Load the horse into the scene.
Turn all IK's off.
Open the joint parameter window and click on the "Zero Figure" button.
Zero translate hip and body.
Import the mane OBJ with none of the import boxes selected.

The mane should perfectly align with the horse. If it doesn't then attend to that now.

With the OBJ fitting correctly have it as the selected actor and click on the set up room tab.
Find the horse thumbnail in the figure library and double click on it. This will add a copy of the horse rigging to the mane.

Return to the set up room.
Turn all of the mane's IK chains off.
Click on the joint parameter's zero figure button.

Go to Edit > Memorize > Figure. This will eliminate any preset bends that were in the original horse rigging. If left in they would throw the conforming off.

Save the mane to the figure library.

Conform the mane to the horse.

Gasp in amazement that it was not actually that difficult :)

Hope that helps.
Select the mane and turn off all IK chains.

DreamWeaver_Designs ( ) posted Tue, 16 March 2010 at 8:03 PM

Thanks PhilC that makes it very easy to understand, just one question do I need to set up the groups in the mane before bring it in to poser or can I do that once I have imported it?
Sorry its probably a silly question and some "every one" knows, but those are normally the things that I don't know because of the way I learn and do things.  

PhilC ( ) posted Wed, 17 March 2010 at 5:02 AM

You can set them up in Poser using the grouping tool. I find it easier to either use my 3D modeling application or do it in UVMapper.

DreamWeaver_Designs ( ) posted Wed, 17 March 2010 at 2:39 PM

Thanks I had a feeling the answer was right in front of me, just a case of can't see the wood for the trees, I realy should try to learn things properly before jumping in the deep end.

PhilC ( ) posted Wed, 17 March 2010 at 2:51 PM

naghh just jump in, that's how I learned :)

DreamWeaver_Designs ( ) posted Wed, 17 March 2010 at 4:31 PM

Hahahaha, so that's why you speak the same language I do! Good to know I'm not the only one who just jumps on in and worrys about whether they can swim later. 

DreamWeaver_Designs ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 10:32 PM

file_451752.jpg

PilC I Just tried to do what you had said and I got some interesting results,as in the mane conformed sort of with some parts up in the air and other bits stuck in the neck ans some bits not attaching to bones at all. I dont know where I am going wrong.

PhilC ( ) posted Fri, 23 April 2010 at 4:18 AM

If you woild like to send me the files I'll be happy to take a look at it.

pcooke@philc.net

DreamWeaver_Designs ( ) posted Fri, 23 April 2010 at 5:08 AM

Quote - If you woild like to send me the files I'll be happy to take a look at it.

pcooke@philc.net

Ok thanks I will. Its a bit late here so I will pack it up and send it tomorrow when I am a little more awake and not likely to make a mistake. 

PhilC ( ) posted Sat, 24 April 2010 at 7:49 AM

OK got the files, thanks.

The three figure files (CR2) all load correctly into Poser but the mane is just comprised of a single body part named "leftmane"

The geometry (LeftManeG.obj) does have body part grouping but the group names must exactly match those in the horse if you want this to conform. You'll need to match the body part's internal name as noted on the properties panel.

Hope this helps :)

DreamWeaver_Designs ( ) posted Sat, 24 April 2010 at 6:50 PM

Quote - The three figure files (CR2) all load correctly into Poser but the mane is just comprised of a single body part named "leftmane"

Is that some thing to fix in max or poser?

Quote -
The geometry (LeftManeG.obj) does have body part grouping but the group names must exactly match those in the horse if you want this to conform. You'll need to match the body part's internal name as noted on the properties panel.

Hope this helps :)

Ok I see what I did there, it should be easy to fix.

Thanks for the on going help with this some times I feel so thick headed!

DreamWeaver_Designs ( ) posted Sun, 25 April 2010 at 4:22 AM

Well I just had another go at this and it sort of worked, the mane did conform but..... it was floating above the horse, the chest section was missing, I had a big spike sticking out between the front legs and there was a second mane that didn't conform but was sitting where it should and had all its sections. I'm lost, I must be going wrong some where but I don't know where.

PhilC ( ) posted Sun, 25 April 2010 at 1:09 PM

I'm happy to look again if required.

DreamWeaver_Designs ( ) posted Sun, 25 April 2010 at 3:18 PM

Thanks, also I keep getting this: "This figure contains polygons which are not grouped to belong to a bone. Are you sure you want to leave the Setup Room"
I will pack up the last build for you and try to get it off today.

DreamWeaver_Designs ( ) posted Sun, 25 April 2010 at 6:25 PM

I think I may have found some of the problem, the mane has 10 layers and it looks like only 3 are grouped for most of the mane and 0 grouped in the chest section. I can't select them with the grouping tool in poser

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.