Wed, Sep 18, 7:53 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Is DAZ Hexagon worth $10?

WandW ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 3:29 PM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 5:45 AM

$9.39, actually.  I have heard people mentioning problems it introduces in making morphs, so I wondered if it was worth the price, or should I try out Wings to do modeling?

BTW, I have Carrara 7 express, but have never used the modeling tools.

Thanx in advance!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

FrankT ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 3:34 PM

if you are on a MAC then not until they update it :)
The latest version of Hex doesn't have the vertex order bug which broke morphs.

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 4:00 PM

I use Hex in morphs all the time. No problems. Actually the easiest modeler I have ever used. I did have to get a video card to stop some problems I was having, it didn't like the on board video I had, but other than that I've had no trouble with it.

wdupre ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 4:00 PM

Hex has a lot more modeling options than wings, and more than carrara, definitely worth the $10. If I didn't have C4D I would probably be using Hex for its ease of use.

Winterclaw ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 4:40 PM

I would suggest you try wings/blender since they are free.  But if hex is on sale and you have the money to burn, why not?  Some of the things in my gallery (like the sword in the last image) were made in hex.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

aeilkema ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 4:55 PM

It's a no risk at DAZ, isn't it? Just try it and if you don't like it, return it within 30 days. A modeling application is very personal. What I love, you may hate and the other way around. Hex is great, but I have a hard time getting used to it, I just love the way Cinema4D and TrueSpace (which is free these also) work. Wings is good, blender I never got used to at all, but many love and use it.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 5:35 PM

I enjoy it a lot and I am on a Mac. A lot of it, as someone said, is very personal. Some people I know swear by CD4 but I can't figure it out at all. But I got Hex pretty easily.

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 6:38 PM

Hex and C4D are so similar that I can go back and forth between them. I rarely use C4D anymore as Hex does everything I need to do and then some.

WandW ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 7:49 PM

Sounds like the Consensus is that it is a good deal.

Many Thanx to All!  :thumbupboth:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 8:00 PM

I'm always beating the drum for hex. those little bending handles on the Universal manipulator are not found on anything else I've tried and I use them more than any other feature.

and the feature in this video is something that Hex does that I have not seen any other app do and it is extremely useful. Watch it before you buy and you'll buy it without delay. LOL

http://www.blip.tv/file/2115022

kobaltkween ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 8:12 PM

focus on your goals before choosing a modeler.

imho, it depends on what you want to make.  Hexagon can't do just about anything i personally need a modeler to do. but Blender can.  i got Hex back when it was $2, and i'm really glad it didn't click for me (because the tutorials for it were inaccurate) but Blender did (because its tutorials were more accurate).  i would have just had to learn Blender anyway.  you should choose a feature set that fits your needs, not everyone else's.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 9:19 PM

i had minimal problems under XP not enough to make morphing or modelling an issue, under WIndows 7 64pro it works like a dream no probs, and for $10 its a steal

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 10:58 PM

Considering I paid $15 for a magazine with Hexagon in it, I'd say so...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2010 at 11:26 PM · edited Sat, 20 March 2010 at 11:31 PM

I hope it's at least worth two and a half bucks ;o). I sprang for it. Figured ya just can't have too many modeling proggies...lol. Now if I could just find the time to learn Carrara 7 pro...

Like others have said, maybe try one of the free modelers before you lay down money for Hexagon. I found Wings3D to be extremely easy and I'm a modeling dummy. If I can model with it, than a monkey can...lmao.

Laurie

Winterclaw ( ) posted Sun, 21 March 2010 at 11:11 PM

What kind of monkey are we talking about here?  Is it that freaky stock picking one?

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 21 March 2010 at 11:27 PM

Well, not the kind that throws poo...

;o)

Laurie

Jeff_Kraschinski ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2010 at 12:57 AM

I'd add that the Send to Hexagon feature (and back) in DAZ Studio is an excellent thing to have for making morphs, at least for me.

You can send a character, say Victoria, to Hexagon, export to OBJ in Hex, load said OBJ up in ZBrush, Mudbox, etc. and morph the body to your hearts content without concern that body part seams will separate (since the seams get welded during the process). Then import the result into Hex, send it back to DAZ, and using the free injextion script that is out there you can make full body morphs from the OBJ easy as pie.

You can even start from dialed morphs, send THAT to Hex, and have a more advanced starting point for Mudbox or ZBrush to work with. But such morphs require more finagling to be distributable.

Still the whole process is easy as pie. And Hex for $10 makes it a truly sweet deal.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2010 at 5:02 PM

Only if you're actually going to take the time to learn to model. If that's your goal, only Blender can beat that price.

kkrawal ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2010 at 9:46 PM

Checkout my Hexagon Work before decission
http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=64521&highlight=

Teyon ( ) posted Thu, 25 March 2010 at 3:03 AM

I used to be the forum mod for Hexagon here. I would say Hexagon is a good deal at $10. It's NOT the app for me, it requires far more mouse clicks to get things done than some other apps, but it's a solid program. I hope Daz gets on the ball and updates it soon or it will start to show its age though.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.