Fri, Sep 20, 3:55 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Textures for cs4, not the extended version

Xandi ( ) posted Fri, 26 March 2010 at 12:00 AM · edited Thu, 15 August 2024 at 4:56 AM

Is there a way to make textures to use in the layer style texture, or are there some that are obtainable?  There are very few that came with the program and I need fabric textures.

Any help is appreciated,

R.P.Studios ( ) posted Fri, 26 March 2010 at 12:40 AM

you can go to many many websites and download FREE textures. Wouldnt this be good for you ?

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.

Lucie ( ) posted Fri, 26 March 2010 at 7:33 AM · edited Fri, 26 March 2010 at 7:34 AM

I guess you're talking about patterns? 

I'm using CS3 but I'm guessing it must be very much the same process in CS4...  Select the texture you want to use as a pattern(any seamless tile will do), go to "Edit/define pattern" .  You can make as many as you like this way then if you want to save them go to Edit/preset manager , in the little drop down menu select  patterns and in there select all the patterns you've just made and you want to save (press control and click on the patterns to select more then one) and then save set. 

Right after you made them they should be available in the pattern overlay in the layer styles, but if ever they disappear from there, if you've saved them you just need to load your set again and they'll be there.  To load them, just go t o your preset manager again, click load and go get your set wherever you saved it on your puter.

Hope this helps.

Lucie
finfond.net
finfond.net (store)

Xandi ( ) posted Fri, 26 March 2010 at 10:29 AM

Thank you for replying, it's appreciated ;)

I'm looking for texture, not patterns. For instance, when I'm making a shirt and pick a color, I'd like to use a cotton texture so that it looks like fabric. There are a few textures in the Layer Style effects, but not what I needed. I was wondering if there was some way to get more textures to use?

Thanks again!

Lucie ( ) posted Fri, 26 March 2010 at 11:18 AM

Well then for a start, you can have a look in the freebies here, in 2D/textures, lots of fabrics of all kinds in there, some in the marketplace as well.  You can also do a search on google you'll find lots more.  And if you want to create your own, there are many plugins to do this, filterforge is one of them (it's also a standalone program), but there are many others to do this.  You can also scan fabric yourself if you have a scanner.

Most of them are in jpg though, if you're going to use them in the layer styles you'll probably have to convert them to patterns (.pat) because the textures that are in the layer style effects in photoshop are made with patterns for photoshop.

Lucie
finfond.net
finfond.net (store)

Bailliere ( ) posted Tue, 06 April 2010 at 4:51 PM · edited Tue, 06 April 2010 at 4:53 PM

Caleb Kimbrough does some great free textures here,lostandtaken.com/
I found his site the other night. I don't know if there are any cotton textures there,certainly a lot of good quality photographic stuff of assorted surfaces.I'm just suggesting this for anyone who is interested in textures generally.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.