Tue, Oct 1, 5:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: Making clothing for poser tutorial

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 01 May 2010 at 7:30 PM · edited Tue, 27 August 2024 at 7:26 PM
Site Admin

I'd love to make clothing for poser (because we don't have enough;) )I have Wings and 3dsMax but really don't know how to get clothing out of them. Are there any good tutorials for making clothing using either program?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 01 May 2010 at 10:32 PM

I know that someone here does make clothes with Wings (darn good ones, at that), I'm still making hats, it's the best I can do for now.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 02 May 2010 at 11:32 AM
Site Admin

Yeah right now I can make a geometric shape and change it slightly, but clothing is way different than a box or ball. 

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Tue, 04 May 2010 at 3:29 AM

Quote -  Yeah right now I can make a geometric shape and change it slightly, but clothing is way different than a box or ball. 

Which version of Max are you using?  I know in later ones there was a Garment tool.  It's been a long time since I used it but I remember it being quite good, and reasonably well explained in the Max Help section.

Basically you lay out a flat pattern, just like a taylors blueprint, using splined shapes.  You can then turn those into cloth panels and use the garment modifier to stitch them together around your figure.  it then runs a kinda shrinkwrap on them, using the seams you define to pull the cloth panels onto the model (V4 or whatever).

Have a peek in your helpfile that max comes with, I'm sure if you search for "garment" you'll find it.

John :)

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Tue, 04 May 2010 at 4:54 AM

In the Hexagon forum here there's a collection of links to "how to make clothes" - and they're not all Hexagon-based, they're actually more generic cloth making tutorials, Jim Burton has some on shoes and that one is made with Max. There's also C4D tutorials ect.

I would of course suggest using Hexagon for the purpose, but that's because it was the first program where I actually managed to produce something that looked vaguely like real clothes. I used Max originally, years and years ago, but these days, I'm a Hexagon-lover. It may not have a lot of bells and whistles, but it's an easy-to-grasp modeller (among other things because it doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles) and it's good for making Poser stuff in.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

shuy ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2010 at 3:08 PM

Quote -  Yeah right now I can make a geometric shape and change it slightly, but clothing is way different than a box or ball. 

I make clothes with Wings. With box you can easy make any shape adding edges and extruding polygons.
1 First I import figure obj.
2 Remove head, fingers and another useless body parts.
3 Select all and choose "wireframe" view
4 "Lock selected"
5 Create cube, scale it and place around waist. (Cut cube along z axis and create virtual mirror)
6 Model cube adding vertical edges to obtain prism similar to belt. (Not too many - needn't be smooth atm)
7 Extrude top of prism (use "extrude region")
8 Extrude along y axis few times in small steps. After every step adjust verticles, edges or polygons if you see that clothes intersect figure wireframe. Too big (loose) cloth is better then too thigh.
9 Over shoulders add edges to create correct shape.
10 Add edges and join verticles to create shape of collar and sleeves.
11 Freeze mirror, select polygons inside collar and sleeves, choose material "hole". Select "hole" for bottom of shape as well
12 Cut shape in the middle and create new virtual mirror.
13 Extrude sleeves as above.
14 Freeze mirror select edges around "hole" material and make them "hard".
15 Select all polygons with "hole" material, choose "invert" and press "smooth"
16 Check if all figure verticles do not intersect created shape - adjust it if necessery.

shuy ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2010 at 3:20 PM · edited Wed, 05 May 2010 at 3:21 PM

file_452373.jpg

17 Choose edges along which you wish cut shape to body part and use "loop cut" 18 When you cut shape for body part check if all unvisible polygons (where body parts touch each other) have "hole" material. I always miss some polygon and must do it again. 19 "rename" each shape with body part name: hip, abdomen, rShld etc. 20 Select created shapes and "export selected" 21 Import obj to Poser, go to setuproom and load bones from library. As a donnor use figure (blank) for which you created clothes.

Above are smaples which I created for M4, M3 i V3. Conforming or hybrid.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.