Mon, Sep 9, 6:47 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: IBL + shadows trouble

papillon68 ( ) posted Sat, 29 May 2010 at 10:32 AM · edited Sun, 21 July 2024 at 1:59 PM

I'm very dumb when it comes to rendering scenes, and I'm experimenting with IBL.
I've some nice Dosch .exr files that I use with Diffuse IBL lights. My main problem is that as I create a Diffuse IBL Light (as probably the name implies), the "Shadows" option is disabled by default: I can enable it and render shadows in the render window, but if I use the Queue Manager, no matter what settings, shadows are not rendered at all.
So I wanted to ask how you folks create shadows with the Queue Manager: do you have a IBL light and add a Spot Light just for creating shadows ?

Thanks

visit my blog:  www.alessandromastronardi.com

My Rendo Store

IsaoShi ( ) posted Sat, 29 May 2010 at 11:03 AM · edited Sat, 29 May 2010 at 11:05 AM

IBL is an ambient, omni directional light that is not designed for use with shadows, and does not give consistent results when they are enabled in a scene. When a scene is saved, I believe it does not save the shadow option for IBL lights, or it saves it but ignores it in the render, I'm not sure. That's probably why the Queue Manager render (which runs from its own saved scene file) isn't showing shadows.

In any case, I advise forgetting shadows on IBL lights. Yes, always use an infinite light to simulate sun or moonlight, or spotlights or point lights for closer (e.g. interior) lighting - both with shadows, of course.

"If I were a shadow, I know I wouldn't like to be half of what I should be."
Mr Otsuka, the old black tomcat in Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami)

papillon68 ( ) posted Sat, 29 May 2010 at 11:30 AM

Thank you very much for this clarification !

visit my blog:  www.alessandromastronardi.com

My Rendo Store

IsaoShi ( ) posted Sat, 29 May 2010 at 12:04 PM · edited Sat, 29 May 2010 at 12:05 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/tutorial/index.php?tutorial_id=2139

On the other hand...

I just found this tutorial, which shows that IBL shadows can be made to work for you in certain circumstances. Not by design, I would add... but hey, if it works why not use it? Who cares whether or not it's supposed to? :O)

Edit: of course, IBL with an HDRI won't give that toon effect.

"If I were a shadow, I know I wouldn't like to be half of what I should be."
Mr Otsuka, the old black tomcat in Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami)

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sat, 29 May 2010 at 2:42 PM

it can produce shadows with the ibl as if there were an infinite lite at the lite position in the
lite control sphere, which is ignored otherwise.  hence it screws up the fake fx from AO, if
AO is used instead of IDL.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.