Sun, Oct 6, 6:05 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Flash ad??!!!

Porthos ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2010 at 3:15 PM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 9:00 AM

file_455879.jpg

Has the Poser forum been hijacked?? I just got hit with this flash advert. Find singles near you??? A screen cap!! Anyone else seen it?

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 12.0GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7770

PoserPro 2012 (SR1) - Units: Metres , Corel PSP X4 and PSE 9

Porthos ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2010 at 3:20 PM

Doing a scan of my HD in case I've got any nasties lurking there! :(

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2010 at 3:20 PM

I've blocked all those crappy banners after they started those Google Adsense %¤#&"&. I dont want to find singles near me, and I ABSOLUTELY DISLIKE when I'm told to do this and that in my hometown. It's getting too personal and too snoopy. So I've blocked the ads on Rosity. Which is a shame because I would like to see the banners from the merchants here, but Chrome's version of AdBlock doesn't seem to be able to tell the difference...

So ... IMO Rosity is losing money on this idea because surely I'm not the only one who has been so fed up of the flashing, irrelevant banners that they've blocked the lot...

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Porthos ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2010 at 3:24 PM

How have you blocked the adds Trekkie, enquiring minds want to know?

JenX ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2010 at 3:27 PM

Yup, there are flash ads.  Not just outside advertisement, but some of our internal ads are flash, too.

FYI

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2010 at 3:29 PM · edited Mon, 12 July 2010 at 3:32 PM
SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2010 at 3:30 PM

Not seen that one.  Then again, I generally ignore banner ads anyhow.  If a vendor's product catches my eye, then I'll go look.  Other than that, I find them an irritating waste of space on an already crowded screen.

There is still too much garbage and not enough forum without scrolling down. 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2010 at 4:05 PM

Quote -  I've blocked all those crappy banners after they started those Google Adsense %¤#&"&. I dont want to find singles near me, and I ABSOLUTELY DISLIKE when I'm told to do this and that in my hometown. It's getting too personal and too snoopy. So I've blocked the ads on Rosity. Which is a shame because I would like to see the banners from the merchants here, but Chrome's version of AdBlock doesn't seem to be able to tell the difference...

So ... IMO Rosity is losing money on this idea because surely I'm not the only one who has been so fed up of the flashing, irrelevant banners that they've blocked the lot...

I'd also blocked all ads on this site entirely awhile back. Shame.

Laurie

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2010 at 4:07 PM · edited Mon, 12 July 2010 at 4:09 PM

Quote - How have you blocked the adds Trekkie, enquiring minds want to know?

I don't know what Trekkie uses, but I use Firefox with AdBlockPlus plugin and NoScript. I don't see a durned thing ;o) I don't appreciate all the new ads and scripts personally.

Laurie

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2010 at 4:16 PM

I'm using GoogleChrome which also comes with a version of AdBlock. Since it's newer than Firefox, the plugin still needs work, but it does an OK job of blocking them. They're there for a split second, and then they're gone :D VERY convenient. I started blocking them when totally irrelevant ads for stuff like dating sites or where in my hometown I could get a cheap burger started to emerge. I dont' mind RELEVANT stuff, but I'm sick of all the random crap and ESPECIALLY the kind of ads that has clearly been tracking me enough to tell where I live. Those makes me a bit too paranoid!

You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2010 at 4:41 PM · edited Mon, 12 July 2010 at 4:44 PM

I just turn in IE8's InPrivate filtering! Google it and you'll find a Fantastic File to import HERE to it's built in filtering. No Flashy Ad's or popups here!

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2010 at 2:46 AM

Firefox with AdBlockPlus & NoScript here, I use them because some of the other sites I go to are stuffed to the gills with flash ads & like SamT said this place is cluttered enough without the added flash junk.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

Porthos ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2010 at 5:28 AM

Thanks for the tip on AddBlockPlus and NoScript, worked great! :)

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2010 at 6:40 AM

I suppose Rendo marketing have a legitimate reason for inflicting this on us, but it's annoying, non the less. I also find it annoying that I can't answer posts from my iPhone, but I can read them.

Oh well... perhaps a new idea is just around the corner: sort of a Facebook type app where you can access the forums via an app instead of the browser, but without Facebook's intrusive privacy-affronting methods.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

Roy G ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2010 at 7:24 AM

Quote - Firefox with AdBlockPlus & NoScript here, I use them because some of the other sites I go to are stuffed to the gills with flash ads & like SamT said this place is cluttered enough without the added flash junk.

Says the guy with the annoying ad in his signature. :)

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2010 at 9:38 AM · edited Tue, 13 July 2010 at 9:40 AM

BUSTED! but it was for a freebie. ;)

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

PilotHigh ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2010 at 3:42 PM · edited Tue, 13 July 2010 at 3:49 PM

Could someone please help me? I have FF 3.6.6 with AdBlockPlus running and I still get the google ads. How does NoScript work?

edit: I watched a video on it and its working now.

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2010 at 3:48 PM

Quote - > Quote - Firefox with AdBlockPlus & NoScript here, I use them because some of the other sites I go to are stuffed to the gills with flash ads & like SamT said this place is cluttered enough without the added flash junk.

Says the guy with the annoying ad in his signature. :)

Signature? What signature? I don't see no stinkin' signature! (Thanks to NoScript & AdBlockPlus)

My Freebies

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2010 at 3:57 PM

in OS X, block these things with pithhelment and little snitch.

Netherworks ( ) posted Wed, 14 July 2010 at 12:09 AM

Quote -  I'm using GoogleChrome which also comes with a version of AdBlock. Since it's newer than Firefox, the plugin still needs work, but it does an OK job of blocking them. They're there for a split second, and then they're gone :D VERY convenient. I started blocking them when totally irrelevant ads for stuff like dating sites or where in my hometown I could get a cheap burger started to emerge. I dont' mind RELEVANT stuff, but I'm sick of all the random crap and ESPECIALLY the kind of ads that has clearly been tracking me enough to tell where I live. Those makes me a bit too paranoid!

Highly agree.  The irrelevant stuff is really annoying and it reminds me why I rarely watch Television anymore.  I also would not mind at all looking at Renderosity product ads but if there's going to be dating service and god knows what else mixed in with them then I give myself no choice but to block them all.  Long time user of AdBlockPlus and NoScript here.

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Wed, 14 July 2010 at 2:48 AM

Quote - Signature? What signature? I don't see no stinkin' signature! (Thanks to NoScript & AdBlockPlus)

It was an ad for Apollo Maximus, I was keeping it there in the hopes of an updated version but after 2+ years of waiting with not a single word from the creator I think we can safely say it's not coming.

So the ad is gone.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 14 July 2010 at 1:32 PM

killing the flash ads also kills the jpg banner ads at top and bottom.  I never scrolled down
to bottom, but sometimes I clicked on the top banner if it showed alotta skin.  however, I
don't see any way in my ad-blocker prefs to unblock a jpg banner, so I can't view 'em anymore :crying:

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Wed, 14 July 2010 at 1:37 PM

Quote - killing the flash ads also kills the jpg banner ads at top and bottom.  I never scrolled down
to bottom, but sometimes I clicked on the top banner if it showed alotta skin.  however, I
don't see any way in my ad-blocker prefs to unblock a jpg banner, so I can't view 'em anymore :crying:

Yup that's the problem. Because people block all the crappy irrelevant ads, we also miss all the actual relevant ones. And the merchants here are losing clicks and, I'm sure, sales. caused by the lessened exposure.  

So IMO it's really a no win situation. Rosity wants banners to make money, but the money they may make in displaying the crud is lost in the lessened sales because people now only see new things if they actively seek out the MarketPlace here :( No impulse buys from the WOW factor of a well-made banner :(

Porthos ( ) posted Wed, 14 July 2010 at 3:21 PM

Quote - > Quote - killing the flash ads also kills the jpg banner ads at top and bottom.  I never scrolled down

Yup that's the problem. Because people block all the crappy irrelevant ads, we also miss all the actual relevant ones. And the merchants here are losing clicks and, I'm sure, sales. caused by the lessened exposure.  

So IMO it's really a no win situation. Rosity wants banners to make money, but the money they may make in displaying the crud is lost in the lessened sales because people now only see new things if they actively seek out the MarketPlace here :( No impulse buys from the WOW factor of a well-made banner :(

You have a point there Trekkie!

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Thu, 15 July 2010 at 2:50 AM

With AdBlockPlus if you click the red ABP you'll bring up a list of everything that's on the page, with the blocked items in red, you can add exceptions so that things you still want to see get unblocked.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 15 July 2010 at 5:27 AM

Yea AdBlockPLus. Which does not work that way in Chrome. And I like Chrome and I'm not going to switch to Firefox just to see ads L

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Thu, 15 July 2010 at 7:58 AM

God help anyone who tries to force you to change. ;)

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 15 July 2010 at 9:07 PM

Hmmm...

I haven't changed my browser settings but the offending banners appear to be gone.  Anyone else notice this?

Hope Rosity have canned 'em for good. 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.