Wed, Sep 4, 8:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 8:02 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: pixel aspect ratio..........help please

chohole ( ) posted Wed, 14 July 2010 at 5:50 AM · edited Tue, 23 July 2024 at 8:10 AM

Came across this when trying to change a transmap which came with a purchased 3d item, in this case a hair model.

Transmap will display correctly, but when trying to alter it slightly in PS it appears that it was saved using  "pixel aspect correction ratio" and displays in PS as a long thin image, making it impossible to alter.

Is there any way to get over this please?

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

RHaseltine ( ) posted Wed, 14 July 2010 at 9:33 AM

I think View>Pixel Aspect ratio>Square is what you want. I must admit I've not run into that problem before.

Quest ( ) posted Wed, 14 July 2010 at 11:16 AM

Hi Chohole…I’ve never come across such a problem so I’m a little curious about it. First, let me ask: is this a “TIFF” file? Second: Are you getting a “Pixel aspect ratio correction is for preview purposes only. Turn it off for maximum image quality.” message? In my search for a solution to your problem I came up with these links:

http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-1282.html

At this link scroll down to “PS_User” post for a possible work around.

http://www.videouniversity.com/articles/photoshop-for-video-tips-and-tricks

At this link scroll down to section: lll. Tips for viewing Pixel Aspect Ratios:

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1234004&page=1

Here look at both “Blueark” posts

Basically try going: Image>Pixel Aspect Ratio>Square and fiddle with this or going to “View” menu and see if “Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction” is on.

I hope I was able to help.

chohole ( ) posted Wed, 14 July 2010 at 1:13 PM · edited Wed, 14 July 2010 at 1:15 PM

Thnaks Quest, and you too RIchard, didn't know you visited here as well

How are you going Quest? Long time no speak, been too busy playing with PS and have been neglecting Bryce.rolleyes:

I was actually asking the question on behalf of my son, who has a newer version of PS than I do.

I don't even have a View pixel ratio button in mine, and have no problems with the file. I will  relay your comments to him.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

chohole ( ) posted Wed, 14 July 2010 at 1:26 PM

Back again to say Thanks Quest, Neil says that your links were helpful, and he thinks he has solved the problem. He has never come across it before, only on this one particular vendor on his hair mats, He needed to shorten one piece of hair because  it wouldn't move and was clipping the clothing.

Quest ( ) posted Fri, 16 July 2010 at 2:39 PM

Oh, you’re quite welcome Chohole I’m glad that the links were helpful to your son. I personally have not come across this particular problem myself and I was curious as to what causes it. Yeah, I’ve been doing okay how about you? Last I heard you were busy creating some clothing textures for figure objects, how’s that endeavor coming along? I haven’t done much with Bryce lately either. I’m patiently waiting on Bryce Pro to come out to see what it has to offer before I re-engage. I still stop by the Bryce forum to see what’s up there.

chohole ( ) posted Fri, 16 July 2010 at 2:57 PM

I am still plugging away at the clothing textures, but it started to get a bit too serious, so now I have decided to only do that for half the week, and play with bryce the other half, for a bit of variety.

Plus I am now a "community volunteer" over at Daz, which does mean I tend to be a bit  tied to their forums. It's not the same as moderating, we are supposed to be like "Santa little helpers" especially with newbies and there is now a new users forum, so they don't get slagged off in the other forums by the sort of helpful people who answer queries by saying "that has been asked umpteen times before". We CVs are based there but do wander round the other forums to try divert any of the above sort of behaviour.

Quest ( ) posted Sat, 17 July 2010 at 11:47 AM

Yep, I know all too well what you mean about when it gets too serious. It’s funny that when you turn something you enjoy doing very much into an occupation with deadlines added to it the fun seems to become too much like work and often the creative spontaneity starts to wan. It’s nice to break it up with something else and revitalize the senses. Good luck as CV.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.