Fri, Sep 20, 9:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: Do you think......

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2010 at 7:43 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 9:34 AM

Attached Link: Plugin Thread at "The Other Place"

The new Lux renderer plugin for DAZ Studio will encourage an exodus from Poser to DS?  It does provide impressive results from the look of it, but is that enough?

John

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

saibabameuk ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2010 at 8:29 AM

Fugazi1968
A question, if I may.
What are the Poser development team doing to improve the rendering opportunities? do you have any idea, 
I have invested quite a lot of time and money in trying to get a handle on animation with Poser ,
The animators that I have made contact with through this forum have been most helpful.
However am I about to be told , " You should have used another program?"
Do you think Poser has a  software future ?
Poser is just starting to produce interesting results for my education human values program.
Many of the render problems I have had seem to be settling down.
However I can see there will be a time for translucent images , glass reflections and lots of other texture formats. Will I be able to render these in Poser when I get more experience?
I would be grateful for any comments.

Xase ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2010 at 8:42 AM

IMHO no, there has always been ways to get from either Poser or DS to other render packages, this plugin is just one of the first most direct ways.  I don't expect a mass exodus (what a picture that makes) to DS just because that is becoming (Please pardon this pun) a reality.

Now I don't know if you've seen what ODF, BagginsBill and ADP (hope I got that right) have been doing on the Poser side to go from Poser to Lux, but it's pretty cool and I've been trying it out.

Either way, it's exciting times for us 'lowly hobbyists' 😄

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2010 at 8:42 AM

Quote -  Fugazi1968
A question, if I may.
What are the Poser development team doing to improve the rendering opportunities? do you have any idea, 
I have invested quite a lot of time and money in trying to get a handle on animation with Poser ,
The animators that I have made contact with through this forum have been most helpful.
However am I about to be told , " You should have used another program?"
Do you think Poser has a  software future ?
Poser is just starting to produce interesting results for my education human values program.
Many of the render problems I have had seem to be settling down.
However I can see there will be a time for translucent images , glass reflections and lots of other texture formats. Will I be able to render these in Poser when I get more experience?
I would be grateful for any comments.

Hiya

I have no idea what the development team have in mind for improvements to the Poser Render Engine, one or two guys here have links into the Dev team I think, they may know better.

Personally I think Poser will have a future for a long time to come.  The promise of a better render engine is, I am sure enough to get people to cross over, but not in the kind of numbers which would adversely effect Poser.  I don't know if the Lux plugin will be free or not, but if it isn't that willreduce the numbers who cross over even more.

As to your texture requirements I don't see any reason you can't do any of them, translucent effects are probably the most tricky, but I have seen it done.  Glass and other reflective surfaces are pretty easy to set up.  Posers material room is a pretty powerfull place, as I'm sure many would agree.

There are already options for Poser users to render in other applications if they want better/faster results.  I personally use Vue, which can import a Poser Scene easily.  The materials need a bit of tweaking but it is worth it I think.  The lighting and camera options are great :)

John

LAJ1 ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2010 at 8:43 AM

Attached Link: New Reality (lux render) Plugin over at Daz...time for Poser Plugin Update?

You might want to take a look at the New Reality thread started by Ridley5. Development of a poser exporter to Lux is well under way.

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2010 at 8:55 AM

Quote - IMHO no, there has always been ways to get from either Poser or DS to other render packages, this plugin is just one of the first most direct ways.  I don't expect a mass exodus (what a picture that makes) to DS just because that is becoming (Please pardon this pun) a reality.

Now I don't know if you've seen what ODF, BagginsBill and ADP (hope I got that right) have been doing on the Poser side to go from Poser to Lux, but it's pretty cool and I've been trying it out.

Either way, it's exciting times for us 'lowly hobbyists' 😄

:) I'd be interested to see what they come up with, that is interesting indeed.

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2010 at 9:03 AM

Quote - You might want to take a look at the New Reality thread started by Ridley5.
Development of a poser exporter to Lux is well under way.

Shows how far behind the times I am ;)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2010 at 10:09 AM · edited Wed, 11 August 2010 at 10:10 AM

If Daz doesn't hurry up and release the Reality DS plugin, we'll have the Poser exporter out before the DS one.

The Poser Lux exporter is free and probably going to be open source.

If there is any exodus, it will perhaps be in the other direction? grin

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2010 at 10:28 AM

Go BagginsBill, scupper their evil plans for world domination :)

Seriously thats great news.

John

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2010 at 10:40 AM

@ saibabemeuk

I believe Poser will continue to be perfectly good for your animations for quite a while. There are ways to get all the effects you have mentioned.

From my tests with lux it will be more time consuming to get a complete render, although the quality may be better if the materials can be adjusted. It seems to be the sort of thing done now with 3dsmax which is use Poser to pose the figures and then do all the materials in 3dsmax or other appklication and render from there.

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2010 at 11:44 AM

Quote - If Daz doesn't hurry up and release the Reality DS plugin, we'll have the Poser exporter out before the DS one.

The Poser Lux exporter is free and probably going to be open source.

If there is any exodus, it will perhaps be in the other direction? grin

Not a Likely Scenario
From the thread linked by the OP the Daz plugin (which has been Submitted
and is in QC with DAZ),
will  function with the current FREE base version of D/S and Lux is ,of course, Free
so people will only have to pay for the "reality" plugin
to my knowledge there is no legal Free version of poser 6,7 or 8
so a D/S user has no monetary incentive to Migrate to poser just to use
a free impending poser/Lux  Exporter.

Unless "preta 3D" is foolish enough to make his plugin MORE expensive than buying a copy of poser .
and with DAZ's "aggressive" pricing structure
again..Not a Likely Scenario.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

saibabameuk ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2010 at 12:22 PM

From the lay persons point of view it seems as though, Poser will be available and improving.
Thats all I ask for from a software program.
Small point a free download for poser

http://download.cnet.com/Mac/3D-Modeling-Software/3150-6677_4-0.html?tag=mncol

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2010 at 12:58 PM

wolf - I know humor is difficult to decode in writing, but I did put "grins"

You needn't have so carefully explained the obvious. Did you confuse me with a moron?

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2010 at 1:28 PM

Quote - Did you confuse me with a moron?

A "moron" with your clearly proven& verifiable Skills???

Again.. not a Likely Scenario mate.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2010 at 5:58 PM

:lol: it's a good idea to avoid humour, satire, sarcasm, irony et al. here, as most of them won't
understand and many will be offended.  that's the main problem, never being able to laff with them :lol:
however, daz may be promoting this plug-in if they learnt that D|S users won't spend $549 american
to get the daz carrara renderer, which is faster than FFRender and maybe also faster than maxwell
and lux.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Fri, 13 August 2010 at 1:01 AM

Attached Link: http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/-/renderizer-daz-studio?item=8122&_m=d

The Renderizer  plugin for DS has been around for a while already. With it, you can use the full free or commercial version of 3Deigfht, the free Pixie renderer or PRMan. I doubt the new Lux plug will cause any great new exodus, especially given that unbiased renderers are usually pretty slow in comparison to their biased counterparts. 

Options are always good but I wager that most users will always stick with the native solution and these options will remain niche choices. Many of those who want alternatives have already moved to Vue, C4D, Carrara, POVRay etc.  FF and DS-3DL are probably more than adequate for many people's needs. For the rest, there have always been alternatives of varying cost, speed and quality. IMO it would take either an entirely new 3D human figure application or a radical breakthrough on the part of Poser or DS to significantly shift the user base. A render plugin isn't going to do it.

If the 'D-Lux' plug provides a dramatic speed increase (via GPU) or a dramatic quality increase and if it is completely transparent, requiring no material changes from stock DS then it will generate excitement on the DS side, but Poser users would still be loathe to switch for a variety of reasons. By the same token, if 'LuxPose' provided the same benefits, I doubt most DS users would switch to  Poser, based on cost alone.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 13 August 2010 at 9:23 AM

Quote - The Renderizer  plugin for DS has been around for a while already. With it, you can use the full free or commercial version of 3Deigfht, the free Pixie renderer or PRMan. I doubt the new Lux plug will cause any great new exodus, especially given that unbiased renderers are usually pretty slow in comparison to their biased counterparts. 

Options are always good but I wager that most users will always stick with the native solution and these options will remain niche choices. Many of those who want alternatives have already moved to Vue, C4D, Carrara, POVRay etc.  FF and DS-3DL are probably more than adequate for many people's needs. For the rest, there have always been alternatives of varying cost, speed and quality. IMO it would take either an entirely new 3D human figure application or a radical breakthrough on the part of Poser or DS to significantly shift the user base. A render plugin isn't going to do it.

If the 'D-Lux' plug provides a dramatic speed increase (via GPU) or a dramatic quality increase and if it is completely transparent, requiring no material changes from stock DS then it will generate excitement on the DS side, but Poser users would still be loathe to switch for a variety of reasons. By the same token, if 'LuxPose' provided the same benefits, I doubt most DS users would switch to  Poser, based on cost alone.

Quoted for Agreement!! 

My website

YouTube Channel

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.